Old April 26, 2002, 17:33   #121
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm having a go at my own, following some of the guidelines here. With tweaking, it could be quite good.

I just played against a way-cool deck. Basically, it was about 170 cards, most of which (I later discovered) were land or library search. He had about 4 critical cards.

Firstly, he slaps down a Confessor. I think "aha - he plans to discard me, and gain life". No problem, I have some nice madnessess just waiting.

However, he then searches for and locates a Zombie Infestation (discard 2, add a 2/2 black zombie token). "Fine, he's playing discard his own and gain life. Tricky, not insurmountable". Then he whips out... Nefarious Lich! BBBB - Enchantment - If you are dealt damage, instead remove that many cards from your graveyard from the game. If you can't, lose the game. If you gain life, instead draw that many cards. When Nefarious Lich leaves play, you lose.

You see what this means? He can discard two for a zombie, gain two life, convert into two draws and repeat ad nauseum! The large deck meant, if he wanted, he could have had about 40 or 50 of the things! Add a sterling grove to prevent disenchanting, and he's laughing! Just for insult, throw in Yawgmoth's agenda after a fedw runs, and cast all those discarded spells anyway! Genius!
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Last edited by Chowlett; April 26, 2002 at 17:50.
Old April 26, 2002, 17:46   #122
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 17:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
I'm having a go at my own, following some of the guidelines here. With tweaking, it could be quite good.
that's the idea

we just post suggestions, then you get a better idea

post your deck (and tell us how it does)

Jon Miller
Old April 26, 2002, 17:49   #123
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Bravo, Chowlett! That's THE way to go, my friend. Take every sugesstion here, mull them over, and design a deck that's built on concepts and cards YOU like best....run with it, bud, and good luck!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 26, 2002, 17:51   #124
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Check the edit.
Old April 26, 2002, 17:59   #125
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Trouble with that deck though, is that it's pure luck if the "search" cards come up. The odds of getting one on the draw are not so good with a 170 card spread. Novel approach, but a 60 card infinite recursion deck would blow it away....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:00   #126
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I think he had a LOT of search cards of various kinds. I didn't get to check much as they all flew to the graveyard, but it struck me he wasn't short of them
Old April 26, 2002, 18:01   #127
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I regularly used 40 card decks with moxes....

quick is indeed nice.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:53   #128
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Once I've got this sorted of course, the next objective is learning to sideboard properly
Old April 26, 2002, 19:07   #129
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
I wish I could participate more on this thread, but my main collection is at my mother's house since I moved out three years ago.

Plus, the last expansion I bought was Tempest. But I plan to get back into this great, fun, card game soon, I hope.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:12   #130
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I wish I could participate more on this thread, but my main collection is at my mother's house since I moved out three years ago.

Plus, the last expansion I bought was Tempest. But I plan to get back into this great, fun, card game soon, I hope.
Magic the Gathering Online should be going live relatively soon. You might want to check it out.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:16   #131
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteElephants

Magic the Gathering Online should be going live relatively soon. You might want to check it out.

Let me guess - they make you buy on-line card packs and whatnot, don't they?

Suckers.

Well.... ok, I've got some hundred odd magic cards myself.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 26, 2002, 19:16   #132
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

It's good, but I'll be stopping once I have to pay for my cards. I don't have the money for that kind of addiction.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:19   #133
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

If that's true I might have to give up my academic, social, and family life so I can spend my days on the Internet.

(joking)
Old April 26, 2002, 19:23   #134
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Let me guess - they make you buy on-line card packs and whatnot, don't they?
Bingo! And you may be shocked to know that cost is the same (actually more in most cases) than real cards. Be prepared for more such schemes.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:29   #135
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

Bingo! And you may be shocked to know that cost is the same (actually more in most cases) than real cards. Be prepared for more such schemes.
Seriously? And I was joking...

Actually, it doesn't really surprise me. The magic cards I own are from when I was young and fell for all of that crap - had a ton of pogs and **** too.

There must be a free (and illegal) version of online Magic somewhere... I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a homemade version created by a fan.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 26, 2002, 19:48   #136
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Apprentice is free, a quick search should turn it up. Thing is, there's no restriction on the cards - you just type them in.
Old April 26, 2002, 20:27   #137
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 19:29
i used to have this nasty, NASTY, land destruction deck. granted, it was only ever type one legal, with the sinkholes and all, but it was a killer. when i finall got my opponent between a rock and a hard place, i dropped a "nether Void" and jacked the cost of all spells by 3 colorless mana. an excellent enchant world from legends...

alas i don't play magic anymore, i quit to concentrate on the gamesworkshop games, and also ended up playing
Legend of the Five Rings i liked the fact that in L5R, the players could influence the story by the way they played, and what happened in some of the games.

for example: in the big end-of-the-story tournament, the winner corrupted ont of the five elemental dragons. this has yet to affect the story, but it's one of those things that the players wouldn't stand for if it didn't.
Old April 26, 2002, 20:42   #138
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

why not just stick with MTG:Encyclopedia?

I just checked into Magic Online. It seems a hell of a lot like MTG: Encylopedia, with added forums and organization, trading and so on, yet you have to pay.

Can someone explain to me why I should choose to pay to play. Whats the purpose? You have new decks in MTG:Encylopedia, and only have to pay once for infinite deck possibilities, allowing for epic type1 decks. Whats the purpose of limiting yourself?

I just don't understand.

Last edited by MrBaggins; April 26, 2002 at 23:08.
Old April 27, 2002, 01:10   #139
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I just played against a way-cool deck. Basically, it was about 170 cards, most of which (I later discovered) were land or library search. He had about 4 critical cards.
170 cards is bad, very baaad. Chances are he won't get any cards he wanted in his hand. Sure, he can have a bunch of search cards, but he won't have the mana to use them to find everything he wanted.

So a mana-denial deck will kill him quite handily.

Firstly, he slaps down a Confessor. I think "aha - he plans to discard me, and gain life". No problem, I have some nice madnessess just waiting.

Quote:
However, he then searches for and locates a Zombie Infestation (discard 2, add a 2/2 black zombie token). "Fine, he's playing discard his own and gain life. Tricky, not insurmountable". Then he whips out... Nefarious Lich! BBBB - Enchantment - If you are dealt damage, instead remove that many cards from your graveyard from the game. If you can't, lose the game. If you gain life, instead draw that many cards. When Nefarious Lich leaves play, you lose.
BBBB, that's at least 4 turns (unless he has some quick mana such as Dark Ritual), plus the mana for Confessor, that's 5 to 6 turns.

Very slow deck as I said.

You can easily take him out with a white weenie deck with some land destruction. A burn deck will also work nicely. You could kill him with a couple of Lightning Bolts
Old April 27, 2002, 01:14   #140
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
For example, the Arrogant Wurm can be played for 3GG, but if your opponent forces you to discard it (or you could do it yourself) then it can be played for 2G ... nasty...
2G? Evil! Throw in a couple of Giant Growth... Ouch!!!
Old April 27, 2002, 01:17   #141
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaakko
3 Noble Panther
3 Voice of All

4 Still Life
2 Bearscape

4 Wax/Wane

It's a bit of a tricky build, but ideally suited for the metagame 'round these parts. Now I just have to make the creature base more consistent...
What do these do?
Old April 27, 2002, 01:20   #142
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
I just checked into Magic Online. It seems a hell of a lot like MTG: Encylopedia, with added forums and organization, trading and so on, yet you have to pay.

Can someone explain to me why I should choose to pay to play. Whats the purpose? You have new decks in MTG:Encylopedia, and only have to pay once for infinite deck possibilities, allowing for epic type1 decks. Whats the purpose of limiting yourself?

I just don't understand.
Are they both made by Wizards of the Coast?

Hmm...

Maybe you get real awards playiing Magic Online?
Old April 27, 2002, 01:27   #143
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I found out the deal... apparently, the 'online' version has rules implemented in play, unlike Encylopedia... Not a big problem for veterans or anyone that can read.

However, you don't get to play with old sets...

And no real rewards...

You have to pay 15 to start and 3 bucks for a booster (15 cards IIRC) just like the real world, except you don't get real cards... just rent them. If and when MTGO disappears so does your investment.

I'm just looking at this and thinking that you'd have to be nuts.
Old April 27, 2002, 03:20   #144
Urban Ranger
Deity

I suppose having a computerised mediator will solve a bunch of problems. But since the M:tG rules is never really cut-and-dry, that might have problems too.

Still too expensive. Maybe they can charge extra for the computer judge, but paying for cards like IRL is ridiculous.
Old April 27, 2002, 14:37   #145
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 01:29
Well, I tested my deck, it worked rather well, but unsurprisingly needs some changes. Still Life was too mana intensive to use, so they were replaced by Arrogant Wurm, giving me some badly needed fat. Also, enchantments just aren't that big a threat in today's Type 2 (at least around here), so two Wax/Wanes became Squirrel Nests to combat Braids decks.

Here's the revised decklist (with links for urban ):

4 Brushland
2 City of Brass
8 Forest
8 Plains

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Noble Panther
3 Voice of All
4 Arrogant Wurm

2 Bearscape
3 Wrath of God
2 Squirrel Nest

3 Armadillo Cloak
4 Shelter
2 Wax/Wane
Old April 29, 2002, 02:20   #146
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Hey

I got a deck I am working on

it is a combo one so I am not use to it really

(I am use to fast creature decks that have a good set of everything and are good at eveything)

-------------- deck

4 phantatog
2 thaumatog
2 enchantresses (the three manna draw a card for every enchantment played type)
4 fertile grounds
3 rancors
1 launch
1 enlightened tutor
1 worldly tutor - I am thinking two instead
1 regrowth
1 balance
1 landtax
4 seals of cleansing
3 topples
2 second thoughts - I am thinking swords instead
1 cessation - I am thinking pacifiscm instead
4 counterspells
2 rewinds - I am thinking something else here
1 rethink
2 mana leaks

Jon Miller

(I have lots of good white and green cards, not as much blue)
Old April 29, 2002, 02:34   #147
Urban Ranger
Deity

Whoa! They took out interrupts? So how would counterspells, etc. work? It seems that you can't counter instant now...
Old April 29, 2002, 02:36   #148
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

yes you can

basically intants=interupts

Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2002, 02:38   #149
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

verduran is the type of enchantress
Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2002, 04:11   #150
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
yes you can

basically intants=interupts

Jon Miller
I still don't understand.

So now instants resolve in last in first out fashion?

Does that mean I can't stack instants the way I used to be able to?