Old April 24, 2002, 12:15   #1
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What's with Civ3 in the small box???
I was in Walmart today and could not believe my eyes when I went to the software department. There on the shelf was Civ3 in one of those small boxes --you know,5x7 or 4x6.

It was heavy so I am sure there is some sort of manual inside. But it could not be big and the print would have to by very small if all is included.

And for the same old price of $39.

What are we coming to? Has anyone actually seen the manual that comes with the small box?

Thank God I bought Civ3 when it first came out!

sboog
Old April 24, 2002, 12:37   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 17:30
Re: What's with Civ3 in the small box???
Quote:
Originally posted by sboog
Has anyone actually seen the manual that comes with the small box?

sboog
No. But regardless, you'll learn more about playing Civ3 reading these boards for a few hours than you will reading the entire manual.

I wonder how long it will take to see Civ3 on the shelf in the CD case only?
Old April 24, 2002, 13:11   #3
swt1
Settler

I think "the industry" is going to this size. I have seen several games sold in this size box. Personnally, I like it. I'm sure the industry and retailers like it as they can put the same amount of games on a smaller retail area.
Old April 24, 2002, 13:12   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 18:30
This seems to be the trend now for all new computer games. They are packing them in smaller boxes to cut costs I suppose.

It's very easy now to confuse a pcgame with an xbox game now!
Old April 24, 2002, 15:03   #5
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:30
The smaller box, the game does not come with a printed manual, it is on the cd. Thus they cut the cost of the game by 10 bucks. Usually the game is 49.99, but without the printed manual it is 39.99. I think that this is a great idea. I hardly ever use the stupid manual, and find it more fun to fugre out on our own how to play the game. I dont mind reading the manual on a computer screen, and you can always printed it out your self.
Old April 24, 2002, 15:12   #6
Cookie Monster
King

No printed manuals in computer games is unf*&^ingacceptable
Called me old fashioned but I like the printed manuals that come with computer games. Remember SMAC, Civ2, Imperialism1&2, CTP series, etc. etc. All of those games had great manuals that aided greatly in playing the games. In addition I find it entertaining to read about my games in paper form.

For the game manufacturers to give us PDF format manuals that we must print out in order to read comfortably is extortion. They (game makers) are chiseling more money out of us while giving us less. This IMO is sad. It will certainly hurt the industry. I for one don't like paying more for less. Do you?
Old April 24, 2002, 15:15   #7
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

As of now they sell both versions. One with a printed manual, and one in pdf format. I think this is great for someone who does not have a lot of money. Man I'll take the cheeper version, I dont mind printing it out, besides it saves paper.
Old April 24, 2002, 15:53   #8
Thrawn05
King

I was confused when I saw games being released like that. I thought I was buying a $60 VHS tape.
Old April 24, 2002, 16:13   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

You were confused
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 24, 2002, 16:17   #10
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As a student of environmental health, I think it is good to size down the boxes and just have the manual on the CD - it definitly saves paper! However, I agree that it sure is a better feeling to read the manual in paper. It is also easier to check it during gameplay so you donīt have to switch windows all the time.
Old April 24, 2002, 17:00   #11
sboog
Warlord

But the small Civ3 box I saw at Wal Mart was HEAVY. There had to be more in there than just a CD. But if there was a manual, the print would have to be very small.

Most games with no manual except in PDF form sell for $9.98. But $39 for this little box???

sboog
Old April 24, 2002, 17:51   #12
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Given the fact that Soren took almost all of the gameplay out of Civ when he made it, as well as all the fun, I would think they could probably fit it on a floppy. The game is so simple, you could print a representative manual on a floppy label.

And if you found it in a small but nonetheless heavy package, I would assume they put a rock in it. Anyone who finds themselves having paid for this product is likely to feel like banging their head against a hard object.
Old April 24, 2002, 17:57   #13
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Its obviously a ploy of some sort involving the gaming industry, the CIA, and the Greek Universities
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:15   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Given the fact that Soren took almost all of the gameplay out of Civ when he made it, as well as all the fun, I would think they could probably fit it on a floppy. The game is so simple, you could print a representative manual on a floppy label.

And if you found it in a small but nonetheless heavy package, I would assume they put a rock in it. Anyone who finds themselves having paid for this product is likely to feel like banging their head against a hard object.
You must really have nothing better to do than posting the same drivel about how you don't like the game over and over again. I feel sorry for you.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:17   #15
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Truly. He's getting to be no better than Coracle at this point... which is really saying something. jt, I've seen from some of your previous post that you're better than that. Don't drag yourself in the mud.
Old April 24, 2002, 19:10   #16
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sboog
But the small Civ3 box I saw at Wal Mart was HEAVY. There had to be more in there than just a CD. But if there was a manual, the print would have to be very small.

Most games with no manual except in PDF form sell for $9.98. But $39 for this little box???

sboog
The only games I have seen for $10.00(US) are etheir old games they dont make any more, or cheap games that come in a cd case. It is still a new game, so they are still going to charge you for it. They they do is take out the manual and put in pdf form on the cd. I think that it is a reasonable price. When I got Sim City 3000 it was in one of those small boxes. It had a little booklet on how to install the game and trouble shooting stuff. The manual is on the cd in pdf form.
Old April 24, 2002, 19:20   #17
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
I have seen many games in these small boxes, and I think its a great idea.

I bought Warcraft II Battle.net edition for $4.99, and it was easily worth 20 bucks or more. I paid $5.39 for CivII MGE, and $9.99 for Fallout I and II. Its fun to pay such paltry sums for really great games that you woudl be willing to pay much more for. It feels like you're ripping the store off.

Steele
Old April 24, 2002, 20:01   #18
Coracle
Prince

Wonder how long before Civ 3 makes it into the Discount bin for $19.95?? I say by September.
Old April 24, 2002, 20:49   #19
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Wonder how long before Civ 3 makes it into the Discount bin for $19.95?? I say by September.
I'd would have said july.
Old April 24, 2002, 21:48   #20
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I get most games a year after they come out at prices ranging from 20-30 dollars, from some source or another. Is it supposed to be a bad thing that it may be going for 19.95 later this year? If so, let me remind you that your pessimism doesn't change the fact that Civ3 has actually sold quite well, and providing an XP comes out, more copies are likely to be sold.
Old April 24, 2002, 21:59   #21
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
I get most games a year after they come out at prices ranging from 20-30 dollars, from some source or another. Is it supposed to be a bad thing that it may be going for 19.95 later this year? If so, let me remind you that your pessimism doesn't change the fact that Civ3 has actually sold quite well, and providing an XP comes out, more copies are likely to be sold.
I didn't say it didn't sell well. However, I do think the market for Civ3 is saturated to a certain degree. All your hardcore Civ3 player must of bought it by now, as well as the casual TBS/RTS players. All you have left are those who can wait a year for the price to drop.
Old April 25, 2002, 08:00   #22
Ignorance
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:30
My Civ3 came in a big box with a manual.

Since the manual isn't really useful, guess I'd rather had the small box to have something where to put the cd for those occasional moments when it's not in the drive.
Case for the cd would have been nice in the big box too, I don't trust those paper envelopes enough to keep my cds in them.

Speaking of boxes, whats different with "Civilization III Collector's Edition" my supplier has in their catalog?
Old April 25, 2002, 12:14   #23
Jack_www
King

Just the other day when I was at Best Buy I saw Empire Earth in one of those small boxes, and they had them in the big box too. The one in the big box was $49.99(US) and the small box was $39.99(US). I am going to get the one in th small box very soon.
Old April 25, 2002, 14:42   #24
dunk
Prince

If I really want those PDF manuals, I'll just print them out at work.
Old April 25, 2002, 14:56   #25
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
If I really want those PDF manuals, I'll just print them out at work.
I love printing out all the strategies I read about at Apolyton at work!
Old April 25, 2002, 15:19   #26
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

I love printing out all the strategies I read about at Apolyton at work!
Me too, until I got in trouble.

Now I have to resort to my slow hp deskjet.
Old April 25, 2002, 16:28   #27
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
Re: No printed manuals in computer games is unf*&^ingacceptable
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Called me old fashioned but I like the printed manuals that come with computer games. Remember SMAC, Civ2, Imperialism1&2, CTP series, etc. etc. All of those games had great manuals that aided greatly in playing the games. In addition I find it entertaining to read about my games in paper form.

For the game manufacturers to give us PDF format manuals that we must print out in order to read comfortably is extortion. They (game makers) are chiseling more money out of us while giving us less. This IMO is sad. It will certainly hurt the industry. I for one don't like paying more for less. Do you?
Well then think about it in environmental terms. With fewer paper manuals, less trees need to be cut down in order to manufacture them. They're just being socially responsible, and saving some money in the process. What's so wrong about that?
Old April 26, 2002, 03:13   #28
Flanker
Warlord

Willem, i fully agree with that. Even if many ppl just print out the pdf-files, many donīt feel like itīs worth it. And for example Civ III and SimCity 3000, both sequels to a game that many have played before, many players already know the basics and just needs to upgrade their knowledges about the new game. Therefore, they may just need to take a glance on the pdf:s. However, I bought a somewhat advanced flight sim a few years ago, and there was only this pdf-manual coming on the CD (there were actually two CD:s, one with the game itself and the other one with helpfiles and readme). Then it was rather hard to sit for a very long time reading through that manual on-screen. I havenīt got a printer, so I couldnīt print it out either. In that case, I would really have liked to have a printed manual to read while I was playing, and to read even when I wasnīt plaing. They are very good evening lecture you know!
Old April 26, 2002, 08:21   #29
Cookie Monster
King

Re: Re: No printed manuals in computer games is unf*&^ingacceptable
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well then think about it in environmental terms. With fewer paper manuals, less trees need to be cut down in order to manufacture them. They're just being socially responsible, and saving some money in the process. What's so wrong about that?
If one resorts to printing out reams of paper from a pdf then trees are being killed anyway. It is also very difficult, at least for me anyway, to read a manual on screen and then switching tasks back to the game. Alternatively if you read the manual on screen prior to playing one might not remember all the explanations from the manual. Having a nice manual by your side while playing sure is great. I guess what my point is why should I be made to print my own manual when I paid real money for the game.

Imagine if everything you bought had a pdf manual on cd. Before you can use that fancy new dvd player, electric iron, washing machine, you have to go to your computer and print out or read the manual on screen. Frustrating I suspect. Many many neighborhoods in the USA do have recycling programs. I participate religiously in recycling cereal boxes, bottles, newspapers, etc. They could just use recycled paper to make the game manuals for us.

Just a friendly thought...........
Old April 26, 2002, 11:39   #30
Grumbold
Emperor

I've already said lots about this on the 'Other Games' forum in reference to the European version of Might and Magic IX and HOMM IV. They are just as expensive as the big box version of the games but come with the manual and some reference cards on .pdf only. The industry is slowly moving en-masse to the DvD sized boxes. The driving factors are retailers shelf space and packaging cost. In Europe almost all titles have been released in this size for several months. Those that need little or no documentation have even adopted the standard DvD plastic box.

Switching to slimline or .pdf manuals is a side effect which you will either love or hate. For key game information I insist on paper reference sheets and manuals and agree wholehearily with Haupt D. If its thirty pages of flannel on how archwizard Zobgobbivirel Vlampo VIX lost his Nerfstick of Knobbliness down the evil goddess Vishinka's fluffridden bellybutton and wants you to get it back, it can save a tree, go on the disk and never get read