Old April 13, 2001, 19:12   #1
King Richard
Warlord

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Am I the only one who feel I'm to old?
At the age of 22 I'm wondering when my interest in playing computer games like civilization will fade and die. It could be interesting to know a bit about civ-players across the globe. How old are we? What do we do besides playing games? Are we just a bunch of childish grown-ups that likes to escape from a boring and tiresome world? Are there any female fans of the games, and why do we love this game so much?? Anyone?
Old April 13, 2001, 19:23   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well Richard, I'm going on 39 and the thirst for Civilization is still going strong inside me!
Old April 13, 2001, 19:31   #3
King Richard
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Wittlich on 04-13-2001 07:23 PM
Well Richard, I'm going on 39 and the thirst for Civilization is still going strong inside me!

Then I have nothing to fear! Except perhaps loosing my job and girlfriend if I take it to far...

Old April 13, 2001, 21:52   #4
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:53
Richard, I just turned 23 last month, so I'm in the same boat you are. As long as you're still able to get outside and be active every so often, who gives a rats a$$ what you do with your free time.
Old April 13, 2001, 22:45   #5
joseph1944

Well we had this discussion a while back, oh well. I just turn 57 on the 28 of March and been playing computer games since 1984 when I bough a Com-64. In the other thread about age, I was the oldest listing his age. There may be older player but they will not state their age. Also on the tread about who has played most of Sid games I was either at the top or very close to the top of number of games played that where made by Sid. I still have Civ 1 in DOS and Win., CivNet, Civ 2, 2 ea., Civ MGE, 2 ea., TOT, 2 ea. I keep 1 MGE & TOT at my daughter house, so I can play there if I feel like it. For real I have to many games, there are about 100 games behind me and I gave away around 50 or more to the school that I now work at and 20 to the boy & girl club and than I gave 18 games to a friend last summer. I kind of wish now that I did not give them away. Most of those games were DOS games.

------------------

Old April 13, 2001, 23:03   #6
MrFun
Emperor

I'm 23, male, and a university undergrad student going for a History major. Plus, I do a physical workout three days a week. I'm also setting plans to become a novelist as well as a college/university instructor in History.

And of course -- I still make some time for Civilization games!
Old April 14, 2001, 02:28   #7
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I'm feeling underage, I am just 15.
Old April 14, 2001, 10:05   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Look at it this way Henrik, you still have years and years of civ play ahead of you!
Old April 15, 2001, 17:18   #9
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 04-13-2001 10:45 PM
I just turn 57 on the 28 of March and been playing computer games since 1984 when I bough a Com-64...

Hi Joseph, here's another of the 50's club to join you! I turn 53 this May, and have been playing comp. games since we bought our first computer in 1986 (a Sharp 5000, 8-line screen and all of 56K memory!). I've also played Civ since Civ1 - I still remember vividly 'discovering' it on a friend's computer when we were visiting for a couple of weeks in 1994, and getting so utterly hooked I played it night after night into the early hours of the morning, and was a total washout socially during the day!

I think this is one of the greatest tributes there could be to the enduring
value of Civilization, that it can so totally fascinate people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
[This message has been edited by Ilkuul (edited April 15, 2001).]
Old April 16, 2001, 00:14   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:53
Take a look here: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum...01055.html?127
Old April 16, 2001, 05:11   #11
Der_Wachter
Settler

I would like to think that PC Gaming is a hobby that has no age limits! Especially strategy gaming for that matter. I'm 20 and I play Civ & Civ II (and pretty soon Civ III!!!) cuz I like the idea of ruling an country. In other words, I do it for the power trip. Oh man, I can just imagine myself as Lord and Master of Canada! How cool would that be?
Old April 16, 2001, 05:35   #12
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

I'm 43 and started playing strategy wargames when I picked up a copy of Avalon Hill's 'Blitzkrieg' in the early '70s. I continued to dabble in board wargames except for a stint in the army where I dabbled in wargames...I tried to look as much like a square cardboard unit counter as I could . It was the middle '90s before I picked up my first comp and I feel like I'm still going strong, enjoying the hobby. So King Richard, if you're concerned some wierd thing happens to older human brains that shuts off the love of a good game, this thread should give you heart.

Soldier on!
Old April 16, 2001, 06:26   #13
Demolition
Settler

Old April 16, 2001, 11:55   #14
tniem
King

I would have to believe that the age group that is posting on this forum and is going to purchase Civ III is a great deal older than those playing most games on average. Civ takes a lot of thought and strategy and while I'm only 18, I know a lot of my friends cannot match me in MP games. They just don't plan out their moves with as much thought. They can however, kill me in click fests.

So to all you 'old' people out there. I hope when I get to be your age I am still playing computer games like Civ.
Old April 16, 2001, 14:10   #15
Zardos
Chieftain

Me? I'm 29 and I've been playing Civ games for the last ten years or so (whenever the first one came out). I haven't gotten tired of it, in fact the more I play, the more interested I get.

As for the average age of the Civ gamer, yes I believe that the average age, intelligence level and education is much greater than most games out there.

For instance, I also post occasionally on the DiabloII boards (as well as play on-line) and I would say a great deal of players are under 20. Simply from the off-topic comments that others make. Furthermore, I find that the rhetoric on those boards is mundance and inadventently droll. Most wouldn't understand that last sentance.

It is very refreshing to see a community that is so well educated discussing one of the best games out there!

Zardos
Old April 16, 2001, 15:19   #16
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

So smart people play this game too?

huh :confoosed:

Old April 16, 2001, 18:13   #17
axemann
Settler

Heck, I'm 33 and still find the Civ games to be as fun as I did almost 10 years ago when I started playing them. As far as female players, when my wife (fiance at the time) moved in with me, she became as addicted to Civ games as I am. Actually, I think she may be worse about it! At first, she was somewhat averse to going on conquering sprees, but she warmed up to the Alexander the Great role eventually, and now she's pretty bloodthirsty!

The only drawback to getting older and still being a Civ fan is that the responsibilities of life leave less time to play Civ. I've had to learn to play in smaller time increments, since staying up all night can definitely affect one's job performance. Playing Civ2 rather than CTP helps, since Civ2 moves along much faster (as well as having a decent AI). Hopefully Civ3 will move along as briskly as Civ2.
Old April 16, 2001, 19:36   #18
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I'm in the same boat as axemann. I'm 32 and love the game but just don't find the time to play it as much as I would like. Of course, the things that take up my time are things I value more than my hobbies: namely, my family (my wife and I have two young daughters) and my job (which I actually enjoy doing ). So I guess my only complaint is that there aren't more hours in the day.
Old April 17, 2001, 03:47   #19
Nenad
Chieftain

And I'am gonna play it forever.
Old April 17, 2001, 05:53   #20
aCa
Chieftain

I'm 20 years old. Have been addicted to Civilication since the orginale civ. Don't play mutch games. Only civ games and a crappy internet called subspace. I get bored of all other games after playing them 10.min......... civ rules

aCa
Old April 17, 2001, 09:19   #21
King Richard
Warlord

Well, I must say that I'm surprised that there are so many "older" guys out there, that still find time to enjoy the greatest game ever! As some of you have pointed out, it seems as though most of you are well educated, or at least intelligent! I remember when I was only 12-13 years old and played Civilization 1 for the first time, -it wasn't easy, but I liked it, so I've continued playing it for almost a decade now! I don't know if comparing it to chess, or other board-games with great debth is a good comparison? My greetings go to all you faithful civers out there! It looks as though Civilization WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME!!!
Old April 17, 2001, 11:49   #22
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
Actually, if you look at it one way, civilization IS the test of time .
Old April 17, 2001, 18:07   #23
Mars_Col_44
Chieftain

41. I played Civ1 when it first came out, as well as Civ2 and SMAC/X. These games are so addictive. I found CTP tedious; it does have some good points. I do look forward to Civ3. It is sometimes difficult to find the time to play anything; we have 2 young kids. I'm a programmer.
Old April 17, 2001, 20:38   #24
King Richard
Warlord

Well, now I'm starting to feel too young!!!
Old April 18, 2001, 01:02   #25
joseph1944

Hey Ilkuul welcome to the 50th club, we had another gentleman who was a year younger than me; I guess he is sitting this one out. Wow a 56K machine, were there many games for it? A lot of games that were made for C-64 are still around today (Gunship, Railroad Tycoon, Airborne Ranger is still around in the first person shooter games, SimCity) for some. Guess who made a lot of those games for the 64? Sid and Micro Prose did.
Some of you are talking about raising a family, for me it was easy, there was no personal computer back then. My oldest 36 and youngest 30 this year. I was President of both the Girls Softball and Boy Baseball league at the same time but in 84 when I bough my first computer the 2 oldest where in High School. So guy and ladies give it time and you will be where I’m at now, time to play and play and play. Of course you will be playing Civ 7 or so if they make a new one every 4 years. I just hope I'm around to play Civ 7.

------------------

Old April 18, 2001, 01:33   #26
dognheat
Settler

C-64 , now those were computer games... Raid over moscow, beachhead I & II, that sweet karate game from EA.. I was like 8 yrs old when my dad brought that home. I was hooked that very day. Now I am 23 still love to play computer games in my spare time (which is almost nonexistant these days). Civ 2 still resides on my Harddrive after all the others have come and gone.
Old April 18, 2001, 03:34   #27
samurai
Chieftain

C-64, Bubble bobble, archon and wonderboy.
Well, I`m 19 and played Civ I at Amiga when I was 9 or 10. It took some time to figure it out, but when I after a coupple of years found out that revolution from despotism to another government actually was a good thing, I realized that Sid was God.
Been playing civ, civII and CTP ever since. But after a coupple of years with CTP I look forward to play another of Sids glorious civ games.
Right now I`m in the navy, so there is little time for playing, but it looks like I have at least 30 years left with Civ.
Old April 18, 2001, 04:45   #28
schubert37
Settler

I am thirty years old and never got tired from playing Civilization. I played it from the beginning on. The only thing I have to admit is that I don't like all the Civ games though. I founf the CtP series extremely boring and never succeeded to end one single game. But with the original series I still play through the nights right into the next morning. My girlfriend accepts that, perhaps "older" women are more understandable than the young, hyperactive ones. Oh, by the way, us older Civers could have a "Cridge Message Icon".
Old April 18, 2001, 05:01   #29
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 02:53
28 and still uses extra time to games.
To old? Me, never...
Not enough time? Well, frankly has there ever been enough time for Civ?

And if you missed the thread about first Civ-game last summer, here is a link to the thread or to my memories . http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum.../001533.html#7
Old April 18, 2001, 05:44   #30
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:53
I'm 30 with a two-year old. My wife used to get on my case about this all the time, especially as I was hard-core into my Age of Kings phase. I was in a clan, etc. etc. I eventually had to give that up when I saw my 2-year old putting grape juice in the VCR when I was supposed to be watching her. I now only play single-player stuff that I can pause. Sure, Baldure's Gate 2 is taking me a year to finish, but it's really enjoyable AND pausable.

So I've had to adjust my gaming style a bit. I also only play much later at night after I've seen to my wife and child.

But the fact of the matter is I could be a T.V. junky, or out with prostitutes, or out gambling until 4 a.m. The important thing to realize is that free-time is just that: FREE-time. The problem comes when gamers begin to cut into family time / relationship time. And for all my wife cared, the computer was just as a bad as a gambling habit as long as it was keeping me from being a father.

So I adjusted. Everybody is happy. And I'll still be playing Baldur's Gate 2 when Civ3 comes out.