Old April 24, 2002, 19:46   #1
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 18:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Napoleon
Why Joan over Napoleon? Is it some PC thing where Firaxis thought they had to give some of the leader positions to women? Napoleon deserves to sit next to Julius, Alexander, and Elizabeth. I have nothing against Joan, but I don't think she should bump Napoleon for the spot.
Old April 24, 2002, 19:52   #2
Coracle
Prince

Why not Napoleon??

Because Firaxis in its tawdriness wanted to "sex up" the game, and be pathetically Politically Correct with all those female leaders.

I changed her to Napoleon months ago. There are sites posted that supply new heads you can download.
Old April 24, 2002, 20:06   #3
MosesPresley
Prince

Coracle,

Quote:
I changed her to Napoleon months ago. There are sites posted that supply new heads you can download.
Please provide a link.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old April 24, 2002, 21:54   #4
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:31
I am an aficionado of Napoleon, but Joan was instrumental in the unification of France, and is a symbol of French national unity.
Old April 24, 2002, 21:55   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Coracle, if Joan "sexed up" civ, I would imagine you think that Civ2 was not sexed up. In that case, please explain to me:

1) The viking herald. I beleive the manual even has an acknowledgement to the artist who "finally put some clothes on the viking herald."

2) The egyptian herald, who looks more like a pole dancer than an ambassador.

Hey Coracle: I know you may not be old enough to understand it, but: cleavage is a fact of life. Yep. Civ3 is less "sexed up" than Civ2, and the fact that you can't handle a basic piece of the female anatomy probably better than a small child isn't something you want to be yelling out to everyone at Apolyton. Then again, if you are looking for our disdain...
Old April 24, 2002, 22:09   #6
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Why not Napoleon??

Because Firaxis in its tawdriness wanted to "sex up" the game, and be pathetically Politically Correct with all those female leaders.

I agree, welcome to the world of PC. Why did firaxis insert the Zulus? They started in southern Africa, yet are considered middle eastern culture. Sounds like a quick implementation of a civ to me. I'm sure there are a couple of other large African empires out there in history to insert. Wasn't Ethiopia an Egyptian rival for a while?
Old April 25, 2002, 02:46   #7
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Firaxis did not 'insert' the Zulus. They've been in the game since CIV 1, IIRC. At the very least, they were in CIV2.
Old April 25, 2002, 03:22   #8
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
Firaxis did not 'insert' the Zulus. They've been in the game since CIV 1, IIRC. At the very least, they were in CIV2.
Yes, they already were in Civ I.
Old April 25, 2002, 06:42   #9
Akka
Prince

Considering that the french UU is the musketeer, I would have considered Louis XIV the best leader for France.
Of course, I can't protest to have my dear Napoléon chosen
Jeanne d'Arc was perhaps a huge symbol in France unity, but she was never the country ruler, only an emblematic icon. She should be a great leader, NOT the ruler.
Old April 25, 2002, 08:36   #10
LordAngus
Settler

Clearly the best choice to represent France is Charles "The Hammer" Martel. His defeat of a Muslim army in 732 checked the spread of Islam into Western Europe. Without The Hammer there would have been no Carolingian Emire, no Charlemagne.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:06   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Napoleon should have been the French leader, although Joan d'Arc does look kind of hot.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:08   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAngus
Clearly the best choice to represent France is Charles "The Hammer" Martel. His defeat of a Muslim army in 732 checked the spread of Islam into Western Europe. Without The Hammer there would have been no Carolingian Emire, no Charlemagne.
True, but there are countless decisive battles like that throughout history. I think you need to rank overall achievement. Martel's victory might have been more important in the long run, but Napoleon swept across Europe with ease. It's just unfortunate he didn't plan ahead when he attacked Russia.
Old April 25, 2002, 12:24   #13
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 15:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Why not Napoleon??

Wait! They wanted to be Politicaly Correct _and_ sex up the game?!?! this might be the single stupidest thing you have ever said...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old April 25, 2002, 12:31   #14
Andrew Cory
Warlord

I think that the leaders are chosen based on upon the fact that they are responsible for "nationalisim". Jean D'Arc helped Unite France. Abe Lincon not only kept america as one country; but was the first president to really _think_ of it as one country; or at least one of the first. Bismark unified Germany, right (even with a Prussian Grandmother, my knowlage of german history is shaky)? Elizebeth is a harder case to make, but she allowed both protestent and Catholic to co-exist, arguably keeping her nation together...

Some of the other leaders seem based more on fame. Without looking it up on the internet, who can name another leader of the Zulu?

Old April 25, 2002, 12:40   #15
nato
Prince

Just to cast my vote, I prefer Napoleon too. I imagine he is enormously popular with great-ruler-wannabes who would play Civ, so I was surprised when he was replaced.

I think he much better represents what a Civ leader is doing. After all, your civ starts out already united anyway.

Hey, he was even on the back of the Civ1 box!
Old April 25, 2002, 13:40   #16
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 17:31
I'm torn. Thinking about significance, my preference would probably be Napoleon, followed by de Gaulle (sentimental reasons).

But on the other hand, without Joan for sex value, all we have are Cleo and the Domestic Nag.

...ALL the leaders should be young ladies!
Old April 25, 2002, 16:22   #17
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

True, but there are countless decisive battles like that throughout history. I think you need to rank overall achievement. Martel's victory might have been more important in the long run, but Napoleon swept across Europe with ease. It's just unfortunate he didn't plan ahead when he attacked Russia.
That seems to be a trait of European megalomaniacs doesn't it?
Old April 25, 2002, 20:24   #18
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
I only played Civ for the SNES. I didn't bother with Civ1, Civ2 because of the senate. I skipped them for Civ3.
Old April 25, 2002, 20:45   #19
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

You didn't buy Civ2 simply because of the Senate? That seems like a pretty small gripe to pass up such a good game... why not just go Commie or Fundy?

He's right, though, the Zulus have been in since the beginning. The reason they are a Middle Eastern Civ is not because they were thrown in at the last minute, but because Firaxis didn't want to throw in more random African civs to make another culture set.
Old April 25, 2002, 21:22   #20
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Re: Attacking Russia and not thinking ahead
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

That seems to be a trait of European megalomaniacs doesn't it?
Huh? Nelson never attacked Russia...

Old April 25, 2002, 21:35   #21
nationalist
Warlord

We've had this debate a thousand times before.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 25, 2002, 21:37   #22
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory
Re: Attacking Russia and not thinking ahead

Huh? Nelson never attacked Russia...
Now how do you equate Nelson with megalomania? He's barely a footnote in European history as I understand it, just another military lackey operating on orders from on high. That's hardly the trait of a megalomaniac, like Napolean and Hitler. Mind you I don't know a great deal about him, but he doesn't really fit my concept of the term.
Old April 25, 2002, 21:45   #23
Coracle
Prince

Quote:

Now how do you equate Nelson with megalomania? He's barely a footnote in European history as I understand it, just another military lackey operating on orders from on high. That's hardly the trait of a megalomaniac, like Napolean and Hitler. Mind you I don't know a great deal about him, but he doesn't really fit my concept of the term.
At that Battle of Copenhagen when the British sneak attacked the Danish fleet, nelson "turned a blind eye" to his commanding admiral's orders because Nelson had other ideas.

Maybe not megalomania, but something.
Old April 25, 2002, 21:48   #24
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:

Well, to be honest, I was just talking out of my butt. The important thing was to mention a _navel_ officer, and one that had a good reputation...

Old April 25, 2002, 21:50   #25
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Nelson was not a megalomaniac. He was a great naval commander, and loyal to the crown. He defeated the French fleet which protected England from invasion by Napoleon. Before the Battle of Trafalgar he said, "England expects that every man will do his duty." When he died victorious he said, "Now I am satisfied. Thank God, I have done my duty.”
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	horationelson.gif
Views:	737
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	14064  

Last edited by Zachriel; April 25, 2002 at 21:56.
Old April 25, 2002, 21:55   #26
nato
Prince

Ooohhh wouldn't Napoleon be mad if he found out a thread about him got turned into a thread about Nelson!

Heh heh

Now I'm reminded of that quote in the Civ2 scenario ... something like 'wherever wood can float, there I find that flag of England!'
Old April 25, 2002, 21:59   #27
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nato
Ooohhh wouldn't Napoleon be mad if he found out a thread about him got turned into a thread about Nelson!

Was this supposed to be a picture of Napoleon at Saint Helena? Good likeness.

Old April 25, 2002, 22:45   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
Considering that the french UU is the musketeer, I would have considered Louis XIV the best leader for France.
considering the panzer is the UU for germany, i would have considered Hitler the best leader for germany.
Old April 25, 2002, 22:51   #29
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

considering the panzer is the UU for germany, i would have considered Hitler the best leader for germany.
He probably would have been provided he was not so politically incorrect.
Old April 26, 2002, 01:17   #30
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:31
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35899