Old April 18, 2001, 21:19   #1
King Richard
Warlord

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I lay my curse on Firaxis!
Don't misunderstand me, I really like the work Firaxis is doing, but I think they have announced Civilization 3 far too early. Now that I know that the game will probably be due by christmas, I can't play Civilization 2: Test of Time anymore! Everytime I try to start a game I'm irritating myself over the game, and everything that I know will be in civ3 will correct this. It would have been better if they'd waited a while, and announced civ3 in october, or something! Then I could have continued playing civ2 until civ3 arrived! Is this a mistake by Firaxis? What do you think?
Old April 18, 2001, 23:29   #2
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:23
DEFINETLY.
Hell I haven't played a full game for the past two months... damn it. I got ctp2 recently and got sick of it in a month... so what the hell am I supposed to do??
Old April 19, 2001, 07:31   #3
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Local Time: 00:53
quote:

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator on 04-18-2001 11:29 PM I got ctp2 recently and got sick of it in a month...

Thank heavens you've said that. That means I'm not the only one who had that experience. What a bummer !!

[This message has been edited by Vrank Prins (edited April 19, 2001).]
Old April 19, 2001, 09:03   #4
samurai
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Vrank Prins on 04-19-2001 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Davinator on 04-18-2001 11:29 PM I got ctp2 recently and got sick of it in a month...

Thank heavens you've said that. That means I'm not the only one who had that experience. What a bummer !!

[This message has been edited by Vrank Prins (edited April 19, 2001).]
Joining in on that list.
Old April 19, 2001, 13:34   #5
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I've been playing a lot of Alpha Centauri recently. I figure it's closer to the Civ III experience as far as gameplay goes, and I'm discovering little nuances. (I didn't even know how to change the Labs/Psych/Econ "tax rate" until last game, and once I learned how, all my bases went into Golden age .)

But I know how you feel. Lately when I start a game of Civ II, I keep gritting my teeth over the little things that are wrong instead of just sitting back and having fun. The stupid sneak attacks by the AI. The "advanced tribes" in the goodie huts. Other civs camping their forces just outside my city limits. Barbarian leaders who disappear right when I'm about to capture them.

(My roommate played Civ II again recently and had the following happen to him: In the early mid-game, he was exploring the territory near one of the enemy civs. He encountered a goodie hut, and of course, he wanted to grab it before the computer did. It turned out to be an Advanced Tribe. The very next turn, the computer sent in waves of diplomats, stole three technologies, then sent in a military unit against the undefended city and captured it. !)
[This message has been edited by EnochF (edited April 19, 2001).]
Old April 19, 2001, 15:18   #6
King Richard
Warlord

The goodie-huts are irritating. I usually save the game before I check them out, if I don't like the result, I'll load the game and ignore it for a while. But still, enemies that builds a city within your boarders, ally against you and receive technologies that they shouldn't have for a long time (so that they can build a wonder long before you even get the chance to start building it!) + all the things you mentioned. I don't really like SMAC that much either. Don't get me wrong; I will love to see a lot of the things that's in SMAC, in civ3, but one of the reasons I love the civ-games is the realism (earth-maps, civs that has excisted, research etc.). SMAC is a bit too sci-fi for my taste. In other words: I'm screwed!
Old April 19, 2001, 16:39   #7
Ilkuul
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by King Richard on 04-18-2001 09:19 PM
It would have been better if they'd waited a while, and announced civ3 in october, or something!

But then just think how much fun we would all have missed trying to second-guess Firaxis on this forum!
Old April 19, 2001, 17:07   #8
King Richard
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Ilkuul on 04-19-2001 04:39 PM
But then just think how much fun we would all have missed trying to second-guess Firaxis on this forum!

I see your point, but I would have had a lot of fun playing civ2 too! Now I can't! Besides, I will not be second-guessing as much as now. I feel that almost every aspect of the game has been discussed. Everyone is discussing off-topic anyway...

Old April 20, 2001, 16:14   #9
Ilkuul
Prince

True, but there are indications that Firaxis is still listening - e.g. the occasional posts from Dan M. etc. - so it may well be that a few of the ideas we bat around here will in fact make it into the game. I would certainly hope so!
Old April 21, 2001, 08:22   #10
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 17:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Nahh... I don't want to get mad at a company for announcing a game long before it's in stores. I have enjoyed the discussion on this forum for over a year now, and am somewhat surprised that this is still the most active forum here (except for off topic, which doesn't count).
I still play civ2, and civ1, and master of magic, and so on. I'm not bored. When I play civ1, I know that it has problems, but I still enjoy doing a lot of ridiculous things you can't do in civ2. likewise, I will enjoy playing civ2 after civ3 comes out for the same reason. I mean, it's a GAME, after all...

I haven't yet plumbed the depths of any of these great civ games. I haven't run the fundamentalism challenge, the despotism challenge, and haven't yet beat OCC at Deity (or survived a game at deity, now that I mention it).

but maybe that's just me. I love this game, in all its incarnations.