Old April 27, 2002, 18:38   #31
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"The purpose of War is not to die for your country. It is to make the other poor bastard die for his". Patton

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 28, 2002, 08:12   #32
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Aye. Or read my sig.
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 28, 2002, 08:33   #33
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
See! shadowlord is a power-hungry machiavellian!!!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 28, 2002, 08:47   #34
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Normally, I'd assume that was a joke, but you've already shown your opposition to my proposed policies, so I must treat this as your actual opinion, and respond accordingly.

Have you read Machiavelli? If not, then you are judging him without ever having read his works, and judging others based on your ill-informed and ill-considered opinion on Machiavelli, which isn't the least bit based on fact.
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 28, 2002, 08:51   #35
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

it was a joke...but I have read little bits of Machiavelli, and although his ideas may not be incorrect, they would not do good in the hands of our president IMHO.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 28, 2002, 16:49   #36
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

In that case, . Ah, but his ideas would be good for helping us conquer and keep enemy lands. If Civ2 reflected Machiavelli's ideas, that is, which it does not. For instance, Cities captured from republics certainly aren't harder to hold in Civ2 than cities captured from monarchies. Maybe in Civ3 they are, if the republic has higher culture, but there's no guarantee.

Last edited by Shadowlord; April 28, 2002 at 17:18.
Old April 28, 2002, 20:07   #37
civman2000
Emperor

in civ3, it's a bit better, especailly because I think the chances of both conquered citizens resisting your rule and also cities rebelling to join other civs are modified slightly by the difference in the "level of gov't". Unfortunately, they are not changed much, and I think the order is:
1. anarchy
2. despotism
3. monarchy and republic (same)
4. democracy and communism (same)
Instead of having republic and democracy above all totalitarian govts.

Old April 30, 2002, 00:50   #38
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm. Maybe my problem was not posting any promises... Next time, then.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 30, 2002, 05:54   #39
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We still need a VP...(or has our prez already chosen someone) and it's interesting for the pres to know who is interested in that job, so he doesn't accidentely picks someone who has no time or wish to be VP

Shade