Old April 29, 2002, 01:20   #211
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where I'm from, we don't use "felching". We use "gerbiling" and "shrimping". I'll let you guys figure out which word goes with which act. I'm sure "felching" will get to us in a few years, like every other piece of culture. I look forward to the day...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; April 29, 2002 at 01:36.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:34   #212
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
Err yeah...

On a completely unrelated topic, my screen name is my first name reversed.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old April 29, 2002, 01:35   #213
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 17:35
I never noticed that until now.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:40   #214
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:35
Isn't that ON TOPIC, not part of Felch X's SICK THREADJACK.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:40   #215
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 17:35
So you came back to this thread hoping for more discussion on felching, Grr?
Old April 29, 2002, 06:48   #216
DeeEllway
Settler

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Amazingly close to DL
WTF´s DL? My initials is DE
Old April 29, 2002, 07:01   #217
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Asher: That was way too much information re: felching.
Old April 29, 2002, 09:00   #218
Rand Al'Tor
Never Ending StoriesApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:35
Hmmm, I wonder if Ecthelion managed to get a pic of me... i wonder how long my hair was back then.
Old April 29, 2002, 11:29   #219
Rex Little
Prince

My last name means "little" in a foreign language. It was translated from a different foreign language when my great-great-great-(plus or minus a great)grandfather came to the U.S. I read somewhere that my first name means "king", which is what "rex" means in Latin.
Old April 29, 2002, 11:51   #220
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeEllway
WTF´s DL? My initials is DE
DL = Double Login.

Your name though, is read "dee ell" or DL

:does the DL dance:

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 29, 2002, 12:17   #221
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Obscure Hockey Thug from Slapshot am I.

:Joins the DL dance:

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 30, 2002, 11:03   #222
Ecowiz Returns
Chieftain

The reason for my screenname is a bit dull, really.

I'm an Economics graduate so I simply merged Economics and wizard (not that I think of me as a wizard in economics, but, as in so many other ocasions I was lacking some imagination).

"Returns" comes from having to create a new login because I had forgoten the password for my first one.

I actually identify myself with my other (far more used) nick: lifesaprentice.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:32   #223
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
Oooh time for Historical Lecture *assumes pedantic pose*

Boring history lesson follows:

Boris Fyodorovich Godunov, Tsar of Russia (1598-1605)

Boris Godunov was the son-in-law of Ivan IV "The Terrible," being married to Ivan's oldest daughter. In 1582, Tsar Ivan beat his oldest son (also an Ivan) to death in a dispute over the Tsar sleeping with his son's wife. The remorse-stricken Ivan IV's health and well-being deteriorated rapidly from that point, and he subsequently died in 1584, leaving Russia in a state of political turmoil and economic ruin.

Deprived of the heir, Russia's throne passed to Ivan IV's second son, who became Tsar Fyodor I. Fyodor was "mentally challenged," and was quite young to boot. Realizing that Fyodor would be ineffective left to his own devices, the Duma (Russia's noble council) appointed Boris Godunov as Regent, effectively making Boris ruler of Russia.

However, Fyodor had a younger brother, the prince Dmitri, who although just a boy was quite smart and capable. Dmitri, by default, became Tsarevich, the nominal successor to Fyodor. In 1591, Dmitri's corpse was discovered in the courtyard of the Cathedral of Uglich, his throat cut with a razor. Boris appointed a nobleman, Prince Vassily Shuisky, to investigate the boy's mysterious death. The investigation ruled that Dmitri, who was epillileptic, slit his own throat accidentally during a seizure.

Fyodor became ill and subsequently died in 1598, leaving no heir to the throne. Although he was only a minor noble, Boris's stature as Regent made him the obvious successor. After rebuffing repeated pleas from the Duma to take the throne, Boris finally relented and became Tsar.

Boris's reign was short and unhappy. Disease and famine ravaged the land, as did war with Poland-Lithuania. While Boris added huge tracts of land to Russia through conquest, he also solidified Russian serfdom.

In 1604, A young monk named Grigory Otrepiev fled from a monastery in Russia to Poland, where he claimed to be the Prince Dmitri, and thus rightful heir to Russia's throne. He raised an army with the support of the Polish king and the Pope and inveded Russia, accusing Boris of being a usurper. Boris himself led an army and met the False Dmitri on the battlefield. Dmitri was defeated and retreated back to Poland.

However, in 1605 Dmitri had rallied his troops and invaded again. This time, increased economic problems encouraged the Russian peasants to flock to his side, and civil war erupted. Many nobles also sided with him, seeing this as a chance to remove the unpopular Boris.

Boris mysteriously dropped dead in 1605 in the Kremlin, reportedly bleeding from the ears and mouth. Some historians suggest this indicates poisoning. Whatever the cause, his sudden death paved the way for the False Dmitri into Moscow. He overthrew and murdered Boris's son and successor, Fyodor II, and raped and murdered Boris's daughter Xenia as well. Thus the Time of Troubles began for Russia, which would last until the Romanov Dynasty was founded in 1613. During its course, Dmitri would be deposed and murdered by Prince Shuisky, who in turn would be deposed and exiled by a second False Dmitri, who in turn...well, you get the idea.

Boris's claim to fame is being the subject of two magnificent works of art: Alexander Pushkin's play "Boris Godunov," a Shakespearian-style tragedy, and Modest Mussorgsky's opera, also called "Boris Godunov," based on Pushkin's work.

The opera is the indisputable masterpiece of 19th century Russian music, and is an epic survey of this period in Russian history. The core of the story is based on the hypothesis (widely believed at the time) that Boris had the boy Dmitri murdered to secure his rise to the throne. While history has absolved Boris in the crime, the opera is a tremendous psychological portrait of a mighty ruler brought down by overpowering remorse for a crime commited. Boris is one of opera's greatest dramatic characters.

Ok, that's all I have to say. I will shut up now. But I enjoyed it, at least!
Old April 30, 2002, 11:36   #224
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Well....um....mine isn't quite that long. Mythology.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old April 30, 2002, 12:48   #225
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Come on, Tia! Give us more!
Old April 30, 2002, 12:52   #226
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Come on, Tia! Give us more!
TIAMAT: Goddess of the primeval depths, the chaos from which Marduk formed the world. She took the form of a dragon and swam in the primal waters. Tiamat warred on the gods, spawning a brood of dragons, sphinxes, scorpion-men and other demons and monsters for her army. Marduk slew her, defeating her with magic and powerful winds. Splitting her in two, Marduk cast one half of Tiamat into the sky to form the heavens and the other he cast down to form the earth.
Old April 30, 2002, 13:18   #227
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

TIAMAT: Goddess of the primeval depths, the chaos from which Marduk formed the world. She took the form of a dragon and swam in the primal waters. Tiamat warred on the gods, spawning a brood of dragons, sphinxes, scorpion-men and other demons and monsters for her army. Marduk slew her, defeating her with magic and powerful winds. Splitting her in two, Marduk cast one half of Tiamat into the sky to form the heavens and the other he cast down to form the earth.
Interesting. I love how mythology explains the world.
Old April 30, 2002, 13:23   #228
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Scorpion men.......yes you've found out my secret.

I am the long lost mother of the Scorpion King aka The Rock
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old April 30, 2002, 13:29   #229
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 00:35
I didn't really choose Zobo.

Long time ago, I played a role-playing game. I was playing a gypsy-like character who was an acrobat. And is artist name was Zobo. I was far to imagine that my friends will call me Zobo, then.
Old April 30, 2002, 13:49   #230
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
this one is simple and most people know it. I shortened it from Dissident Aggressor to Dissident. At counterglow I shortened it to Diss. I guess I'm getting real lazy. I may eventually shorten it to D. Dissident Aggressor is a judas priest song and was also covered by Slayer.

But I feel Dissident accurately reflects many of my viewpoints. I am using the http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=Dissident dictionary.com definition for Dissident. I especially like the religious context: One who disagrees or dissents; one who separates from the established religion. but these definitions are also very nice: characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards [syn: heretical, heterodox] 2: disagreeing, especially with a majority [syn: dissentient, dissenting(a)] n : a person who dissents from some established policy [syn: dissenter, protester, objector, contestant]
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University
Old April 30, 2002, 15:23   #231
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
Scorpion men.......yes you've found out my secret.

I am the long lost mother of the Scorpion King aka The Rock
Oh, then I have to worship you, my queen!

: insert worshipping smilie here :
Old April 30, 2002, 15:39   #232
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
this one is simple and most people know it. I shortened it from Dissident Aggressor to Dissident. At counterglow I shortened it to Diss. I guess I'm getting real lazy. I may eventually shorten it to D. Dissident Aggressor is a judas priest song and was also covered by Slayer.

But I feel Dissident accurately reflects many of my viewpoints. I am using the http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=Dissident dictionary.com definition for Dissident. I especially like the religious context: One who disagrees or dissents; one who separates from the established religion. but these definitions are also very nice: characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards [syn: heretical, heterodox] 2: disagreeing, especially with a majority [syn: dissentient, dissenting(a)] n : a person who dissents from some established policy [syn: dissenter, protester, objector, contestant]
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University
You freakin' HERETIC!!

Welcome to our club.