Old May 3, 2002, 09:13   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it's close, but below the domination treshold. He can produce any reasonable # of units at any given turn, so no need to defend all cities (would be an awful waste of gold). I think nobody will attack him though.

I would rather like to know, if this is post 1.21f, as the AI seems to have a different algorithm for strength evaluation now.
Old May 3, 2002, 09:53   #32
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Now I know what all the workers were for. The top of your palace is an Aztec temple. So how many did you sacrifice and did it keep the Sun from setting on your empire.

After my railroads were laid down, all but 50 or so of the workers were sacrificed! I added them to my cities, gave them guns (drafted them), and made aquaducts (most likely carrying their blood) and marketplaces (selling their organs?) out of them.

A sick, twisted view on Worker->Draft->Disband process.

Quote:
3) Domination victory turned off?
Sir Ralph is correct. I was ~300 tiles below the domination limit when that screenshot was taken.

As for 'undefended' consider that I had roughly 300 cities that on any given turn could have drafted an infantry unit. The border cities I had I considered 'buffers', and used them as such. The western border was almost purely jungle as well, only the Chinese (pink) could have done any real damage, and because of road movement (no rails near the borders at that point), they would have been limited to 5-10 cities. Once I had railroads in place I kept a standing military of about 30-50 infantry. That was more than any of the other AI could have mustered in offensive forces at the time.

In a week or so I should finish off that game. Been working on it off and on for several weeks now.

Here is a screenshot of me 40 tiles under the domination limit (~20 turns later). I have *2* Workers! Although about 500 captured workers are waiting to be sacrificed now that their parent civs won't cause cultural/happiness problems. Notice that the Chinese and Aztecs are gone... They thought it would be a good idea to join forces and take some of my 'undefended' cities.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	war.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	14557  
Old May 3, 2002, 10:12   #33
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Aeson: How long did each turn take at this point (for AI moves and such, from you ending it and till you can move again)?

And what sort of machine did you play on?

-Alech
Old May 3, 2002, 10:25   #34
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

My god Aeson, patience is not the word for this. Hell, I get frustrated reaching a domination victory on tiny maps, let alone managing this monster civ.
Old May 3, 2002, 10:28   #35
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
1.33GHz Athlon/512 MB RAM/ATI Radeon 8500

The AI turns were never more than a minute, 1.17f was definitely an efficiency upgrade from prior versions. It was my turns that took forever. I didn't automate a single worker the whole game, nor have I used a governor except in cases where I captured a city instead of razing it. My turns often were taking 45 minutes to an hour at the peak, not counting the time I'd spend formulating my plans while doing something else.

The only reason I'm playing this (and micromanaging so much) is to submit to the CivFanatics HOF. My first huge game like this was rejected because I gave away all my cities at 2049 and 'lost' with 37k points. Motivated me enough to play another.
Old May 3, 2002, 10:40   #36
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Sounds like fun. I thought for a second you were just posting a screenshot of a regular game I don't use governors either though or automate workers/units (unless you count goto as automation), and I have a much slower PC.

I am suprised they rejected a game because you gave away all your cities at the end.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:14   #37
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson

The only reason I'm playing this (and micromanaging so much) is to submit to the CivFanatics HOF. My first huge game like this was rejected because I gave away all my cities at 2049 and 'lost' with 37k points.
Roflol

That is so harsh, these games must take hours upon hours. Anyone that has the patience to try for a highest score is a very dedicated civver indeed. Good luck with this game.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:19   #38
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:36
It just goes to show that ICS or REX or whatever is alive and well in civ3 despite all the effort to prevent it.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.