Old April 23, 2001, 13:59   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You're not homophobic, are you?

I hope you meant this as a lighthearted joke, and not a cruel one.
[This message has been edited by MrFun (edited April 23, 2001).]
Old April 23, 2001, 19:49   #2
Fuzzball
Prince

Local Time: 10:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ofcourse it's only intended as a lighthearted joke dude, and no I don't have anything in particular against anyone, I discriminate equally (so expect a followup on a hetero advance. hehe.
Old April 23, 2001, 20:03   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Ok, Fuzzball, I guess that means I can laugh, so pardon me -- LOL.
Old April 24, 2001, 00:52   #4
Fuzzball
Prince

A Funny Advance
What about creating a new advance for the modern age? Something like the "Love Thine Brother" advance or "Same Sex Shaggers" or "Donut Drillers" or....hehe. This could have attached wonders like "The Mardi-Gras" and stuff , that curses your opponents with a stagation of population , and gives you more gold by increasing the value of all artworks within your nation . Tee Hee. Don't take me seriously all the time
Old April 24, 2001, 07:48   #5
jdlessl
Warlord

I should point out that homophobia has not, historically, been limited to life under the Catholic Church. Nor is acceptance of homosexuality a purely modern thing. For instance, the Sacred Band of Thebes was an elite group of 300 greek fighters, composed entirely of pairs of male lovers..

--
Jared Lessl
Old April 24, 2001, 08:39   #6
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 00:54
But to describe them as homosexuals is completly anachronous!! And shows a complete misunderstanding of ancient Greek culture.

Homosexuality is a modern concept, to describe a modern version of this kind of sexual behavior. And this behaviour is different today, when compared with the past, particularly in the realm of mentalities.

------------------
Give me Liberty, or give me death!
[This message has been edited by Sean (edited April 24, 2001).]
Old April 24, 2001, 08:43   #7
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 02:54
Well, I did not find the joke endlessly amusing, but only because it wasn't such a good one to begin with =)

However, on a still somewhat lighthearted note, you could instead have a Gay Liberation wonder, which would make a number of unhappy citizens content/happy... although it would only affect 5-10% of the population, so I guess e.g. Women's Suffrage and Cure for Cancer would be much more important to be modelled in the game as Wonders.
Old April 24, 2001, 09:39   #8
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 17:54
I'm thinking a gay liberation wonder would make 2 citizens happy, and 1 unhappy. a lot of people get irate about that sort of thing.

The "naturally" gay population is never more than around 10%, maybe more like 5%, but a lot of people (friends, relatives) are relieved by letting it out in the open. while a few want to keep it in the closet.

so maybe 1 happy, 1 extra content, and 1 unhappy. this wonder would make it impossible to celebrate a WE LOVE day since wonders are figured in last.
Old April 24, 2001, 09:58   #9
Jarouik
Warlord

Well, I bet that Women's Suffrage made many people irate as well at the time (it would have happened a lot earlier if everybody had been for it), but nowadays nobody is questioning its value and in Civ 2 it only has positive effects, so I don't see why Gay Liberation should be any different... I bet all social changes have some opposition at first. In any case, however, there is no point discussing the exact in-game benefits, since the effect would be too minor to warrant a Wonder anyway
Old April 24, 2001, 10:39   #10
Fuzzball
Prince

Eek!! Ummmm...I never meant to cause any arguments sorry. You don't have to fight moral sexuality issues here, or debate the statistics....Can't we just smile and throw somethin back in return? My apologies, ok. Maybe someone could remove this. Apparently noone can view it with a sense of humour.
Old April 24, 2001, 11:30   #11
MrFun
Emperor

I'm sure Markos or Dan would agree that this should be moved to the off-topic forum for continued discussion.
Old April 24, 2001, 11:35   #12
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Local Time: 00:54
Last week I received an invitation for the official marriage of a nephew of mine with his boyfriend. Now that's what I consider to be a real wonder !! which should increase the happiness of people by 100 %
Old April 24, 2001, 16:03   #13
Jarouik
Warlord

My apologies as well... although I do not think there was any fighting involved and my comments were lighthearted as well, based on your humor I just started to speculate about a Wonder regarding the issue, since I refused to come up with anything quite similar in return
I didn't mean to cause any discomfort, which the discussion apparently did, to the starter of this thread
And Vrank Prins: Nice to hear about your nephew! The Netherlands really is the most advanced country in the world in this respect.