Old May 6, 2002, 00:29   #361
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

I don't. That's why I don't believe you.
Your mistake then. It mean that you still don't realize that we fight against the same enemy today. Or perhaps you are on other side. You really like all kinds of Taliban etc. extremist regimes, don't you?
Quote:
Except the Russian army against the suburbs of Grozny.
You've been there? Have any proove?

Anyway, you are no better then we are, you are using the same bombs in Afghanistan. So, shut up please, wach out for your own actons.
Old May 6, 2002, 02:37   #362
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Ned

I don't think even the Russians believe they could have won WWII without American intervention. We certainly "helped."

As to history, the U.S. beat Mexico and took California. We beat Spain and liberated Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philipines.

We virtually single-handedly beat Japan and freed China, Korea and all of SE Asia.
QUOTE]

I don't think even the Russians believe they could have won WWII without American intervention. We certainly "helped."

As to history, the U.S. beat Mexico and took California. We beat Spain and liberated Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philipines.

We virtually single-handedly beat Japan and freed China, Korea and all of SE Asia.
QUOTE]

First --- we never liberated Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Phillipines. We kicked Spain out to set up our own imperial possessions. The Phillipinos in fact, rose up in rebellion against the United States soon after the Spanish American War. The United States was just another imperial power based on white supremacy.

Second --- you never heard of the Australian, British, and Indian allies who helped us in World War II in the South Pacific or SE Asia?? Not sure how much they contributed, but you can be damn sure they helped the United States in that theater of operations.
Old May 6, 2002, 04:51   #363
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

You are mistaken, Slavs have existed for a lot longer than the Roman Empire. Here's a Russian site for you with the pertinent information:

http://histru.newmail.ru/Add/slave.htm

And here's the information for anyone who doesn't want to wait for that page to load:

Ýòèìîëîãèÿ àíãë. slave

Ìåíÿ ïî÷òè óáåäèëè (SASA íà ÂÈÔ), ÷òî ñîâð. àíãë. slave ïðîèñõîäèò îò èìåíè ñëàâÿí:

1. http://www.bartleby.com/61/62/S0466200.html:

NOUN:
1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household. 2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence: "I was still the slave of education and prejudice" (Edward Gibbon) 3. One who works extremely hard. 4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component. I

NTRANSITIVE VERB:
Inflected forms: slaved, slav·ing, slaves 1. To work very hard or doggedly; toil. 2. To trade in or transport slaves.

ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English sclave, from Old French esclave, from Medieval Latin sclvus, from Sclvus, Slav (from the widespread enslavement of captured Slavs in the early Middle Ages). See SLAV.

WORD HISTORY:
The derivation of the word slave encapsulates a bit of European history and explains why the two words slaves and Slavs are so similar; they are, in fact, historically identical. The word slave first appears in English around 1290, spelled sclave. The spelling is based on Old French esclave from Medieval Latin sclavus, "Slav, slave," first recorded around 800. Sclavus comes from Byzantine Greek sklabos (pronounced sklavs) "Slav," which appears around 580. Sklavos approximates the Slavs' own name for themselves, the Slovnci, surviving in English Slovene and Slovenian. The spelling of English slave, closer to its original Slavic form, first appears in English in 1538. Slavs became slaves around the beginning of the ninth century when the Holy Roman Empire tried to stabilize a German-Slav frontier. By the 12th century stabilization had given way to wars of expansion and extermination that did not end until the Poles crushed the Teutonic Knights at Grunwald in 1410.·As far as the Slavs' own self-designation goes, its meaning is, understandably, better than "slave"; it comes from the Indo-European root *kleu-, whose basic meaning is "to hear" and occurs in many derivatives meaning "renown, fame." The Slavs are thus "the famous people." Slavic names ending in -slav incorporate the same word, such as Czech Bohu-slav, "God's fame," Russian Msti-slav, "vengeful fame," and Polish Stani-slaw, "famous for withstanding (enemies)."

2. http://www.britannica.com/cgi-bin/dict?va=slave:

Main Entry: 'slave
Pronunciation: 'slAv
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sclave, from Old French or Medieval Latin; Old French esclave, from Medieval Latin sclavus, from Sclavus Slavic; from the frequent enslavement of Slavs in central Europe Date: 14th century.
1 :
great, that defines the LATIN based words which gave way to "slave." and in all fairness slavs have a long history of enslaving themselves as well as bing the enslaved and the enslavers. But the Russian meaning, or really probably the meaning in any slavic language of the word "slav" as in "slava" or "slavyane" or "pravoslavniy" meaning "glory", "glorious people" (also mentioned by serb here) and "rightly-glorious" or "orthodox" in the west as in the church, in that order.

So you see, even though the west may have its own misguided meanings based on the word, to us, it means nothing close to slave, instead something completely opposit.

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2002, 07:48   #364
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Quote:
Originally posted by morb

great, that defines the LATIN based words which gave way to "slave." and in all fairness slavs have a long history of enslaving themselves as well as bing the enslaved and the enslavers. But the Russian meaning, or really probably the meaning in any slavic language of the word "slav" as in "slava" or "slavyane" or "pravoslavniy" meaning "glory", "glorious people" (also mentioned by serb here) and "rightly-glorious" or "orthodox" in the west as in the church, in that order.

So you see, even though the west may have its own misguided meanings based on the word, to us, it means nothing close to slave, instead something completely opposit.

Thanks.
?
Guy, is this discussion written in english or in russian ?
As long it's still english, then I'll stick to the english's etymology.
Old May 6, 2002, 07:52   #365
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 19:38
Quote:
Originally posted by morb

Thanks.
Is there something wrong with your comprehension skills?

The slavs called themselves slavs for some reason of their own. Western Europe then called all forced labourers "slaves" because so many of them were slavs. There's no contradiction between the two.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 6, 2002, 08:21   #366
morb
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil

?
Guy, is this discussion written in english or in russian ?
As long it's still english, then I'll stick to the english's etymology.
so you want to call me a slave then?
Old May 6, 2002, 08:22   #367
KrazyHorse
Deity

You've got some serious penis-size issues.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 6, 2002, 08:25   #368
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
You're getting real paiktis-ish now, KH

I like it
Old May 6, 2002, 08:36   #369
morb
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
You've got some serious penis-size issues.
well that's true, my cock is so huge you could maim a small dolphin with it. but hey...
Old May 6, 2002, 08:47   #370
Serb
Emperor

Quote:

The slavs called themselves slavs for some reason of their own.
Sure, because we are "glorious people"- "Slavyane", not a bunch of silly westerners who even weren't able to create a cool name for their nations.
Quote:
Western Europe then called all forced labourers "slaves" because so many of them were slavs.
Oh sure,
Are you trying to say that slavery appered only when Slavs become slaves, that slaves didn't existed and that the word for slave didn't existed before the Slavs?
It's absurd.
Old May 6, 2002, 08:49   #371
KrazyHorse
Deity

So is it all slavs that have this inferiority complex, or just the ones who post here?

Etymology is etymology. The word developed in the Romantic and Germanic languages for historical reasons already detailed. Talk about being PC.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 6, 2002, 08:59   #372
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
So is it all slavs that have this inferiority complex, or just the ones who post here?
Relax, I was trolling.

Quote:
Etymology is etymology. The word developed in the Romantic and Germanic languages for historical reasons already detailed. Talk about being PC.
WTF is PC?
Again, what there was no word for 'slave' in those languages before the contact with Slavs?
Old May 6, 2002, 09:00   #373
morb
Chieftain

Quote:

yeah, and etymology is always dead on too...

the ancient latin words that were supposed to have developed into the modern english word "slave" are so completely unlike the russian root "slav" which has remaind unchanged since the slavic langueages/people have come into existance, that i'm positive the words are completely unrelated.
Old May 6, 2002, 09:06   #374
KrazyHorse
Deity

You'd be the only one, then. You know there are people that do this full-time, right? They trace documentary evidence to show how words are transmitted through the centuries...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 6, 2002, 09:18   #375
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
You'd be the only one, then. You know there are people that do this full-time, right? They trace documentary evidence to show how words are transmitted through the centuries...
Then we should leave this question to proffesional linguists and stop this sily debate, because none of us is professional in this field. And because it's pretty clear for every one that:
My ne rabi,
Rabi ne my.
(Russian saying)

Btw, Just noticed that Russian word for "Slaves" - "raby" is pretty similar with "ravy"- a Hebrew's priest. Does it mean that Slavs captured a lot of Hebrew's priest in the past and used them as slaves?
Old May 6, 2002, 09:29   #376
morb
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Then we should leave this question to proffesional linguists and stop this sily debate, because none of us is professional in this field. And because it's pretty clear for every one that:
My ne rabi,
Rabi ne my.
(Russian saying)

Btw, Just noticed that Russian word for "Slaves" - "raby" is pretty similar with "ravy"- a Hebrew's priest. Does it mean that Slavs captured a lot of Hebrew's priest in the past and used them as slaves?
yeah, we can probably "trace" the lineage too.
Old May 6, 2002, 10:45   #377
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
It mean that you still don't realize that we fight against the same enemy today.
Waging war against the civilian population, as the Russian army seems to revel in, isn't the way to wage war against this type of enemy.

Quote:
Have any proove?
The reports of various human rights organization.

Quote:
Anyway, you are no better then we are, you are using the same bombs in Afghanistan.
Against cave complexes. You'll notice that we didn't mine every square centimeter of the country of shell the cities with artiliery fire in order to fight our war.
Old May 6, 2002, 11:10   #378
Ecthy
Emperor

Quote:
WTF is PC?
Would go for my sig weren't all the quotes that are already in there so important
Old May 6, 2002, 11:48   #379
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Quote:
Have any proove?
The reports of various human rights organization.
Just wondering... What about the proofs from the same human rights organizations about how Israël is acting against Pals people ?
Old May 6, 2002, 11:49   #380
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia May 6 — Saudi authorities have confiscated 82,000 abayas, the black head-to-toe gowns worn by all Saudi women, for being too highly decorated or too revealing.

The Ministry of Commerce confiscated the gowns from stores and factories after inspections in the capital, Riyadh, and the Red Sea port city of Jiddah. Inspectors took away garments found not in conformance with Islamic law, al-Jazirah daily newspaper reported Sunday. The abayas were not plain and opaque or they were provocatively clinging, it said.

This so-called country will still be in the dirt a hundred years from now. Or is it because Saudi women just don't look that good??
Old May 6, 2002, 11:50   #381
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
What about the proofs from the same human rights organizations about how Israël is acting against Pals people ?
You mean the one's that said that there was no massacre in Jenin?

Or what about the one's that deal with the PLO's actions against the Israeli people?

Which human rights organizations are you talking about in this instance?

Last edited by DinoDoc; May 6, 2002 at 11:55.
Old May 6, 2002, 14:27   #382
Ned
King

For you history buffs, below is a map of Europe in the early 9th Century.

http://www.city.sumy.ua/history/ukraine/5!.html

Ned
Old May 6, 2002, 14:34   #383
Ecthy
Emperor

and?
Old May 6, 2002, 16:50   #384
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
and?
Ecthelion, Since we've had so much discussion on the origin of the word "slav," and of the East (Russians, Ukrainian) and West (Poles) Slavs, I thought it would be interesting to see what Europe looked like at the time Charlemagne was "stabilizing" the east marches of the Roman (Frankish) Empire.

From the map, it does not appear that Constantinople had anything to do with the "stabilization." However, I do not see the Serbs on the map. Perhaps by that time, they were already present within the borders of the Roman Empire. I half recall that Emperor Heraclius (~620) invited the Serbs south to counterbalance the Avars, who Charlemagne wiped out in his "stabilization" effort.

Perhaps the Serbs are the source of the term "slav" in the Empire, not the Poles or the Croats.

Ned
Old May 6, 2002, 17:21   #385
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
note the Hazar empire . one of the finest and the most properous jewish entities in the history of the world , if not the finest. .

*waves flag*
Old May 6, 2002, 17:24   #386
Az
Emperor

bla bla bla ...

ignorant post.

Last edited by Az; May 6, 2002 at 17:44.
Old May 6, 2002, 17:24   #387
Ecthy
Emperor

erm... Atilla was long before the 9th century.
Old May 6, 2002, 17:38   #388
Az
Emperor

... I meant the second migration...
Old May 6, 2002, 17:38   #389
Ecthy
Emperor

Too late for excuses... Raus!!
Old May 6, 2002, 17:47   #390
Az
Emperor

damn... georgia was surely one big country....http://www.geocities.com/ayatoles/webmap1.jpg