Old April 28, 2002, 19:53   #121
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not really - India's army is much like China's in that it is infantry heavy with obsolete/obsolescent equipment. If it invaded anyone it would turn into an infantry slugfest - India can win wars only through attrition, which is an iffy proposition at best.
Old April 28, 2002, 21:03   #122
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ukraine has never been truly independent from Russia.

It was! When it belonged to Poland!
Old April 28, 2002, 21:15   #123
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 19:38
It belonged to Lithunia, if I recall correctly.
Old April 28, 2002, 21:32   #124
Heresson
Emperor

Not quite. before 1569-to Lithuania,
but some say that Lithuania belonged to Poland (act of union was not obvious)
after 1569 to Poland.
Old April 28, 2002, 21:37   #125
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Was Poland so big to reach the other way of Europe? wow.
Old April 28, 2002, 21:41   #126
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Poland briefly invaded and occupied Russian territory all the way to Moscow once, but I cannot remember when though. Was it sometime in the 1600's??
Old April 28, 2002, 22:56   #127
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Ukraine has never been truly independent from Russia.

It was! When it belonged to Poland!
I'm sure they love to be under Poland control.
That's why they always seek for Russian proptection and finaly in 1654 they found it, when they peacefully joined Russian Empire.
Old April 28, 2002, 23:20   #128
Heresson
Emperor

'm sure they love to be under Poland control.

At least Ukrainians weren't dieing in millions, like when they were under Moscow control.

That's why they always seek for Russian proptection and finaly in 1654 they found it, when they peacefully joined Russian Empire.

Only to come hold up to anyone- Poland (Wyhowski, Doroszenko), Turkey (Doroszenko), Sweden (Mazepa) later...

On the west, Poland got as far as Elbe river.
On the south, as far as Donau , on the east
to Black Sea and Volga.
Parts of;
Germany, Russia, Austria
belonged to Poland for some time.
All/almost all of;
Czech Rep, Slovakia, Ukraine, Moldavia,
(Romania), Byelorussia, Lithuania, latvia,
Estonia belonged to Poland for a shorter or longer time.
Old April 28, 2002, 23:35   #129
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:38
I don't know why the Ukraine wants to be independent of Russia. They both were founded by the Vikings 1100 years ago.

Ned
Old April 28, 2002, 23:41   #130
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
At least Ukrainians weren't dieing in millions, like when they were under Moscow control.
Really?
Polish 'panovy' were sure nice guys and mercyfull masters.

We lived in one country with Ukranians during 337 years. All claims about genocide of Ukranians is a bullsh!t stories. Many people died in Ukraine during Stalin's rule (btw, everyone who think that only Ukranians lived in Ukraine at this time is mistaken) but much more people died in other parts of Soviet Union.

Quote:
Only to come hold up to anyone- Poland (Wyhowski, Doroszenko), Turkey (Doroszenko), Sweden (Mazepa) later...
So, if Russian Empire is so terrible then why Bogdan Hemelnitsky choosed to join Russia? Perhaps, because it was much better alternative then to be under Polish or Turkey rule.
Old April 28, 2002, 23:44   #131
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I don't know why the Ukraine wants to be independent of Russia. They both were founded by the Vikings 1100 years ago.

Ned

Oh, man. I've never laugh so hard. 'founded by the Vikings 1100 years ago'?
You think that we are decendance of Vikings?
Old April 28, 2002, 23:44   #132
Lonestar
inmate
King

Bah. Ukrainians, Russians....

Same as the other. 6 of one is half a dozen of the other. No signifigant differences.

Not on the level of, say America and Canada.
Old April 28, 2002, 23:47   #133
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Poland briefly invaded and occupied Russian territory all the way to Moscow once, but I cannot remember when though. Was it sometime in the 1600's??
Yep.
But, I guess later they regreted about this invasion. (When we kicked their asses).

Sorry Heresson, just can't hold myself.
Old April 29, 2002, 00:29   #134
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
We lived in one country with Ukranians during 337 years. All claims about genocide of Ukranians is a bullsh!t stories. Many people died in Ukraine during Stalin's rule (btw, everyone who think that only Ukranians lived in Ukraine at this time is mistaken) but much more people died in other parts of Soviet Union.
So your argument is, sure, the Sovs slaughtered millions of Ukrainians, but don't worry, it slaughtered millions of other people too.
Old April 29, 2002, 00:59   #135
Serb
Emperor

Those people died, because of Stalin's regime, not because of genocide. And btw, Russians suffered the most of all from this regime.
Genocide as I see it, is something different, something like what your 'brilliant', 'advanced', democratic country done with Native Americans.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:01   #136
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

Oh, man. I've never laugh so hard. 'founded by the Vikings 1100 years ago'?
You think that we are decendance of Vikings?
OK, Serb. Enlighten me. Ned
Old April 29, 2002, 01:02   #137
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Those people died, because of Stalin's regime, not because of genocide. And btw, Russians suffered the most of all from this regime.
Well let's see, the Ukrainians wisely rejected collectivization, so Stalin starved them until they came around. I guess if they hadn't "come around" it would of been genocide - this was just mass murder

Quote:
Genocide as I see it, is something different, something like what your brillant, advanced democratic country done with Native Americans.
Encroaching on their land, sure - genocide, no. Stalin killed more Ukrainians than we killed Indians by a HUGE margin.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:02   #138
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Those people died, because of Stalin's regime, not because of genocide.
Considering the fact that they engineered the Ukrainian famine, I don't see how it could be called anything other than genocide.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:18   #139
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Well let's see, the Ukrainians wisely rejected collectivization, so Stalin starved them until they came around. I guess if they hadn't "come around" it would of been genocide - this was just mass murder
Do think only Ukranians rejected collectivization? And, btw do have any idea how many Russians lived/live now in Ukraine? As I said Russia and Ukraine was one country during 337 years.
Many people died in other parts of SU during Stalin's collectivization. If someone has right to say about genocide under Stalin's rule, it is Russians. Stalin killed much more Russians during his atrocities then representatives of any other nationality of SU.

Quote:
Encroaching on their land, sure - genocide, no.
Oh, really?
You just took their land, killed millions of them and put the rest in preservations. Sure it was not genocide.
Quote:
Stalin killed more Ukrainians than we killed Indians by a HUGE margin.
HUGE?
You are so sure about nombers. If so then why today Ukraine is a country, but Indians has no country.
Perhaps, because you eradicated majority of them? Few millions of people in 20 century when World's population is about 6 billions it's not the same as few millions of people in 18 or 19 century when World's population was less then 1 billion.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:26   #140
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Do think only Ukranians rejected collectivization? And, btw do have any idea how many Russians lived/live now in Ukraine? As I said Russia and Ukraine was one country during 337 years.
Many people died in other parts of SU during Stalin's collectivization. If someone has right to say about genocide under Stalin's rule, it is Russians. Stalin killed much more Russians during his atrocities then representatives of any other nationality of SU.
I find it hard to understand why you are seemingly justifying what happened in Ukraine.

Quote:
You just took their land, killed millions of them and put the rest in preservations. Sure it was not genocide.
The Spanish might have killed millions, the US did not. Smallpox - blame the Brits.

Quote:
You are so sure about nombers. If so then why today Ukraine is a country, but Indians has no country.
Perhaps, because you eradicated majority of them? Few millions of people in 20 century when World's population is about 6 billions it's not the same as few millions of people in 18 or 19 century when World's population was less then 1 billion.
The Indians were already very few in number before the US came into being.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:28   #141
Ned
King

Quote:

Encroaching on their land, sure - genocide, no. Stalin killed more Ukrainians than we killed Indians by a HUGE margin.
David, I am getting quite tired of Americans agreeing that we committed "genocide" against the Native Americans. Have you ever read de Tocquiville's Democracy in America?

Ned
Old April 29, 2002, 01:29   #142
David Floyd
Emperor

When did I say we committed genocide? I said quite the opposite.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:33   #143
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ned :
I didn't. What does he say about this ?
Old April 29, 2002, 01:37   #144
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
OK, Serb. Enlighten me. Ned
We are (Ukranians and Russians) both slavs people. On the beggining of our existance Slavs lived in one country called Kiev's Rus. There was no Russians or Ukranians or Belorussians only Eastern Slavs, western Slavs etc. This country desintegrated on minor states later. Then Mongols invaded and ocupated majority of separated Eastern Slav's (Russians) feodal states for period of time about 300 years. And only when separated Russian states created a unite army they defeated Mongols in Kulikovo's battle in 1380 years. Then ther was a gathering of Russian lands in one country.

As for Vikings,
I don't know how to explain it properly, but some of those early medival states indeed asked for Vikings to be their rulers. And Viking's princes agreed to rule those states, but Vikings didn't found those states (cities) they already existed during centuries.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:48   #145
Serb
Emperor

Quote:

I find it hard to understand why you are seemingly justifying what happened in Ukraine.
WTF?
I'm justifying Stalin's action?
I have very close relatives killed during Stalin's atrocities. I'm the last man who will justify his actions. But again, as I understand the meaning of word "genocide' it is attempt of one nation to exterminate other nation. What Stalin done during collectivization is absolutely different, for him there was absolutely no difference who are you Russian, Ukanian, Uzbeck or someone else, if you are not obbey to his orders you are an enemy then, the enemy of Soviets, the enemy of working class, and you must be destroyed then.

Last edited by Serb; April 29, 2002 at 06:04.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:54   #146
Ned
King

Serb, I hardly think the "rule" bit was voluntary. What the Vikings did is conquer and take over, founding both Kiev and Rus. Obviously, they did not eliminate that native Slavs.

Something similar happend to the English who for 1000 years have been ruled by the Vikings (Normans).

Ned
Old April 29, 2002, 02:02   #147
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

To be fair we did more than just encroach on the Indians' land a bit. I'd say what we did was borderline genocide, probably to the degree of the Ukranian famine, but certainly not to the degree of the Holocaust.

We have to look beyond just tactics employed in genocide and look to the net effect and aim of genocide. Genocide is destroying a race of people, an entire culture. This can happen without sending people to death camps. So if you want to compare the Ukranian famine and the conquering of America then the ultimate question to ask is how much of each of these cultures is still around today. I would guess Ukranian society (whatever that is) is more intact than Native American culture.

If Stalin forced all of the Ukranians onto an unforgiving scrap of land (a small chunk of Siberia perhaps) then perhaps we'd be equal. I am an American patriot to the end, but I am unforgiving for what we did to the Natives.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old April 29, 2002, 02:41   #148
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
To be fair we did more than just encroach on the Indians' land a bit. I'd say what we did was borderline genocide, probably to the degree of the Ukranian famine, but certainly not to the degree of the Holocaust.

We have to look beyond just tactics employed in genocide and look to the net effect and aim of genocide. Genocide is destroying a race of people, an entire culture. This can happen without sending people to death camps. So if you want to compare the Ukranian famine and the conquering of America then the ultimate question to ask is how much of each of these cultures is still around today. I would guess Ukranian society (whatever that is) is more intact than Native American culture.

If Stalin forced all of the Ukranians onto an unforgiving scrap of land (a small chunk of Siberia perhaps) then perhaps we'd be equal. I am an American patriot to the end, but I am unforgiving for what we did to the Natives.
This is really tiresome. Obviously noone here has actually read de TocQueville's Democracy in America.

Written in 1830, de TocQueville, a Frenchman, described America. He summarized the "Indian" situation as follows:

Europeaners were farmers and manufacturers, not hunters. They depended upon a real estate system founded on written deeds, fences and "no trespassing."

The Indians were hunters and had no concept of real property. To them, the land was "free" and open to all.

However, the Indians wanted to trade with the Europeaners. They traded two things: pelts and land.

The effort to hunt, not only for food, but for trade, depleted the land of game. The starving Indians usually sold their land to the Whites and moved West. But at times, they would hunt on the land they had just sold. They would cross fence boundaries and kill cattle and other domestic animals. At times, the farmer would object. The Indian would counter. One thing usually lead to another until full scale war broke out. The Indians would lose and move Westward.

The process, when de TocQueville saw it, had been in progress for a couple of hundred years. He predicted it would continue because the Indian would not give up his hunting lifestyle, nor would he learn to read and write.

In the end, after countless wars, the U.S. created lands upon which the Indian would stay. In turn, the U.S. government agreed to provide enough food, etc., for the Indian to survive on these "reservations."

This brought peace and preserved the Indians from extinction.

Ned
Old April 29, 2002, 06:02   #149
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Serb, I hardly think the "rule" bit was voluntary. What the Vikings did is conquer and take over, founding both Kiev and Rus. Obviously, they did not eliminate that native Slavs.

Something similar happend to the English who for 1000 years have been ruled by the Vikings (Normans).

Ned
Kiev was not founded by Vikings. Rus was not founded by Vikings, it's really strange claim, considering that we always speak on Russian language but not on language of Vikings.
Kiev's Rus was an independant and very powerful state. It was never conquered by Vikings. Kiev's princes used Vikings as mercenaries often, they hired Vikings (Normans, Varyags) for their armies. Only once Kiev was took by an army consisted of Vikings who were lead by one of the Slav's princes. But they took it for a very short time. But Kiev's Rus it is not just a one city Kiev, but a name of country. The city of Kiev is often called as "the mother of Russian cities". It was the most powerfull city, but of course not a single city of slav's state. You said that it was founded by Vikings 1100 years ago. It is not correct. It was founded much earlier (If I'm not mistaken in VII century) by Slavs. IX-XII centuries is the pick of power of Kiev's Rus. In XII century it was desintegrated to minor states because of continious wars between feodals. Before IX centuries Kiev's princes made few successfull campaigns against Byzanty, few times slavs armies knocked at Constantinopol's doors. The Byzanty was forced to sign a peace treaty very profitable for slavs. So Kiev's Rus made a lot of noise even before it's pick of power in IX.
Old April 29, 2002, 06:09   #150
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
This brought peace and preserved the Indians from extinction.

This sounds very funny. As long as I'm not an Indian. I'm sure that remaining Native Americans have absolutely differrent vision of your story.