View Poll Results: Which faction is your favorite?
Gaia's Stepdaughters 10 14.71%
University of Planet 13 19.12%
Peacekeeping Forces 7 10.29%
Human Hive 6 8.82%
Spartan Federation 4 5.88%
Morgan Industries 5 7.35%
Lord's Believers 0 0%
Manifold Usurpers 1 1.47%
Manifold Caretakers 1 1.47%
Cybernetic Consciousness 6 8.82%
Nautilus Pirates 5 7.35%
Free Drones 8 11.76%
Cult of Planet 1 1.47%
Data Angels 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14, 2002, 12:34   #61
waab
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well Yang might be acting as a dictator, but what he means is that it is only your mind that can be free. If you are loving the your body to much you aren't free...

That was not a good example at all...
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old May 14, 2002, 18:36   #62
sjkane
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gotta go with the Pirates - Ideologically, they love the water and all its wonders, ecological, industriual and recreational. Practically speaking, they can be very dangerous when properly used.
Old May 15, 2002, 15:48   #63
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
i can't believe the aliens have more votes than the believers do .

Well now that i think about it, i guess i can.
Old May 15, 2002, 20:11   #64
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
I like the Usurpers very much. They, and the Pirates were the only Alien Crossfire factions I actively wanted to play. Then I realized the Pirates were a**holes and it was too frustrating to play as the Usurpers because no-one will be your ally.

I would have played as the Cybernetic Consciousness more, except for the fact that they were portrayed as denying their humanity and melding with machines, which didn't really appeal to me.
Old May 15, 2002, 20:20   #65
sjkane
Chieftain

Mr. Prez-

Why is it that you find the Pirates to be *******s?
Old May 15, 2002, 21:53   #66
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 12:39
Ursupers are also one of my preffered factions.... I like them much more than the caretakers.

I also hate the pirates.
I have some reasons which seem pretty good to me:
Well, sea bases aren't terribly realistic. At a minimum the required tech should be Doc:Init and it should probably be up in the nanotech techs.
Sooo... they shouldn't exist, considering the unity tech all Sven's followers should be sleeping with the fishes rather than sucessfully founding a sea base.
When the AI plays them they are annoying. Not powerful or challenging to defeat, just plain annoying.
Old May 15, 2002, 22:24   #67
KrysiasKrusader
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 18:39
It seems to me, judging from different threads - as well as the posts in here, that the Spartan's are neither popular, nor often played...
Any one with experience concur ?
Old May 15, 2002, 23:23   #68
jimbob
Settler

Local Time: 15:39
Quote:
Originally posted by KrysiasKrusader
It seems to me, judging from different threads - as well as the posts in here, that the Spartan's are neither popular, nor often played...
Any one with experience concur ?
Funny, I just voted for the Spartans. This was the last post in the thread after I did that.

Spartans are cool. I love playing them. I wooped on quite a few humans playing the Spartans.
Old May 15, 2002, 23:41   #69
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I don't like the Pirates just because they're annoying when the computer plays them. I feel weird about the fact that their ideology would not produce a functioning country. Any of the original factions, I could see surviving as a government and having a real economy, and whatnot. With the Pirates I feel compelled to play them as warmongers, which isn't my natural style.
Old May 16, 2002, 10:07   #70
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 19:39
it looks like the university are taking the lead with 20% and the free drones with 13% in second...

no one voted for the believers?

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old May 16, 2002, 10:12   #71
Jac de Molay
Prince

Who can blame them? They rely way too on momentum for most people's taste. And as an adversary, they are just a pain in the ass. If you're isolated, you're screwed.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:00   #72
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame

Another interesting thing is that the PK's are 2nd to last out of the original SMAC factions. This is prehaps due to the AI Lal's behaivour?

I must say I find is suprising that someone here doesn't like the Belieivers most, considering that both aliens, the cult, and angels all got 1 vote. Data scatter, prehaps....
Old May 16, 2002, 18:13   #73
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
I must say I find is suprising that someone here doesn't like the Belieivers most, considering that both aliens, the cult, and angels all got 1 vote. Data scatter, prehaps....
The Believers make for a fun game, when you are using them. I've found all possible strategies using them to be somewhat fun. Let the other factions do your research for you, then steal it with your beefed up probe teams, and frame someone else for it. Improve your industry with punishment spheres and genejack factories. The -50% tech will have no effect on you whatsoever. Then you can use Free Market without the -5 Police effect. When you go to war, use the stolen technology to attack and with the 25% attack bonus, as well as morale bonuses from Fundamentalist and Power social engineering, you'll pretty much be unstoppable on the offensive.

However, I do hate the Believers, ideologically and not to mention the way the AI uses them. They are a thorn in everyone's side for the whole game, since Uni can't use Fundamentalist, Peacekeepers prefer democracy, Hive prefer Police State, and the Morgans, Gaians and Spartans stand to gain more from Democratic and Police State social engineering choices IMHO.

If you play Civ III, you could easily compare them with the Zulu.
Old May 17, 2002, 01:49   #74
waab
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
LordAzreal how do you play them in the start before you get the needed tech for punishment sphere and genejack factory...
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old May 17, 2002, 05:55   #75
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by waab
LordAzreal how do you play them in the start before you get the needed tech for punishment sphere and genejack factory...
Well firstly, I obviously don't use Free Market since the drones go wild with the degree of warmongering required in the beginning for a successful peacekeeper game with my strategy. I'll use Planned economics to build up my Industry rating and therefore make my units cheaper. I'll neutralise the Efficiency penalty with Democratic politics and won't yet touch my values options (power, wealth, etc.).

Since I play with Spoils of War enabled, I'll beat up my nearest neighbour, taking as many techs as I can. When they are down on their knees offering surrender, I'll accept. If they are the Morganites, I'll give them their bases back so they can build up their vast wealth again. If they are Uni, I'll also do that so that they can carry out research. Otherwise, I finish them off.

By this time, I'll have the techs needed for probe teams, so I can then switch to Fundamentalist politics, and begin probing Morgan to drain his bank accounts, and probing Zak so as to keep up in the tech race. Soon enough, I'll have Advanced Military Algorithms, thus allowing the Power social choice and Punishment Sphere. Once I do, I make sure I have peace, switch to Free Market, and then start building my spheres in each base. Later, I'll have the tech for genejacks as well, and I'll already be able to build the genejack factories without inciting drone activity, since the punishment spheres will already be up by that time.
Old May 17, 2002, 08:35   #76
Jac de Molay
Prince

Hmm, good stuff. But you better pray (no pun intended) that neighbors are near and bountiful or you can pick up Doc: Flex. I would probably play them like the spartans, going for Nonlinear Math., and building or capturing Command Nexus. I'm still relatively new to the game, and haven't played them yet, but I'll keep these ideas in mind. Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 21, 2002, 06:19   #77
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
I like PKs because the extra votes makes such a big difference. Being Chairman of the council is powerful in that you can gather so much info about everybody else. On top of that, the raised pop limits allow significant advantage mid-game growing to size 9 without Hab. The -1 efficiency stings, but it isn't too steep.

Morgan is cool, but the pop limit in the early game before Hab is a tough challenge. The AI stinks as Morgan, but with some help from the human player he can do well… fattened up for the harvest, as someone else mentioned.

The current game I'm playing as PK on a huge random world, blind research. A largish continent to myself, and my only neighbor is Yang. Ugh. Contacted others by encountering their ships or finding their freqs. It was forever before my exploring ships reached their territories.

Morgan fell first. For a long time Dee and Yang were ahead in many categories. Santiago was on the other side of Yang, on a small continent, somewhat contained. U of P withered in Gaian shadows, while Believers hung around quite a while until Dee took care of business. Meanwhile I filled up my continent and a couple islands, plus a sea colony in the GeoShallows.

I didn't start to dominate until 2300s. Yang's jets kept picking off my transports, so all I could do was seize several sea colonies. That put me in range of the Spartans. My jets and cruisers took out everything that moved, at some cost, but now Santiago is neutralized.

I kept pressing research until I got drop troops. Yang's continent was just in range. Soon the Hive capital fell, and four other large bases and sea colonies. I'm rush building Pods to eliminate them profitably. Now he is a nuke-lobbing thorn in my side, but not so much of a threat. I just have to leave those bases in range empty with a net of defenders to keep his ships at bay.

I've had a Green/Knowledge social structure since I got the tech to allow it, which kept the Gaians happy until I got strong enough to be a major threat. It also netted me quite a few mind worms by capture while keeping ecodamage minimal despite complete eradication of fungus anywhere near my bases. Dee is still too far away to inspire dread.

If I hadn't the edge on the Council given the PK, Yang and Dee would've lifted the attrocity ban and I'd be toast. Yang had a PB and would've used it before I invaded his continent. Dee certainly would've built one had they succeeded in lifting the ban. Allowing 9 pop without Hab makes good use of the land in secondary bases while sparing the expense of building and maintaining the extra structures.
Old May 22, 2002, 06:03   #78
Athene Miranda
Settler

Deirdre rocks! Several reasons;
tree-hugging democrat
big mind worms
all the bonuses
and the minor fact that if you DON'T play as her she is GUARANTEED to stab you in the back. Geez, last time it was pact sister to vendetta in two turns...

Only she's supposed to be Scottish. Why isn't she Scottish? Scottish accents are cool!
Burn a torch for your sons and daughters...
Old May 22, 2002, 06:50   #79
Jethro83
Prince

Getting back into SMAC, I've found a new favourite faction...

The SPARTANS!!!

Whether you go Police State or Democracy, there is still a way to make your social engineering model powerful. Currently, in the most recent game I'm playing, I have them on Police State political model, Green economic model and Knowledge. Only Growth and Industry have suffered from this, but it hardly hurts at all.

Not only that, but a lot of their ideology, I agree with. I agree with them more than I agree with the Hive, Gaians or University.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:43   #80
Clear Skies
Prince

Damnit! Are the Spartans allowed to run Knowledge? Cos every time I try it, Santiago calls me up and accuses me of developing secret weapons! Can you say 'hypocrisy', Corazon?
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old May 22, 2002, 07:48   #81
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic
Damnit! Are the Spartans allowed to run Knowledge? Cos every time I try it, Santiago calls me up and accuses me of developing secret weapons! Can you say 'hypocrisy', Corazon?
They CAN use Knowledge. The one they can't do is Wealth. Just like other factions with their hypocritical political stances.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:55   #82
Clear Skies
Prince

I've never played as the Spartans and my usually-encyclopaedic knowledge of the factions has been somewhat compromised by AS level revision - thanx for jogging the old memory
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old May 22, 2002, 18:18   #83
Blake
lifer

You just need to realise the enemy gets annoyed when you DONT run their ideology, they don't give a hoot if you run their anti-ideology.

Hence, Miriam doesn't give a dam if you run Knowledge, but she'll snap if you run Demo or Police. Likewise Zak wont care if you run Fundie, but run wealth or power and, well you know.

The thing is many factions (Hive, PK, Gaians, Morgan, Spartan - the vast majority, IOW) have their ideology and anti-ideology in the same SE field, meaning it's hard to actually notice this rather odd effect. However it does mean that Dee is just as pissed if you run Planned or Free Market.
Old May 22, 2002, 18:54   #84
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
However it does mean that Dee is just as pissed if you run Planned or Free Market
hmm,dee seems to attack the minute i switch to FM while using planned i can go for along time maybe its just me,as i almost never use FM...

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old May 22, 2002, 22:22   #85
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 16:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
The thing is many factions (Hive, PK, Gaians, Morgan, Spartan - the vast majority, IOW) have their ideology and anti-ideology in the same SE field, meaning it's hard to actually notice this rather odd effect. However it does mean that Dee is just as pissed if you run Planned or Free Market.
Exactly, though there are more examples of this with the SMAX factions: Domai's aversion is Green, but he only cares about Future Society choices, Roze's aversion is Power, but like Lal, only whines if you don't run Demo.

As for the poll at hand I'm also going with the Data Angels. They're definitely the hippest faction around, and a great refuge for all the brilliant malcontents and computer geeks out there, probably a lot like the Apolyton community. When Roze tells me that signing a treaty with her faction would be "suitably chic" it just cracks me up.

From a gameplaying standpoint, they just rule. They are even more versitile, IMO, than Lal. Their penalty, -1 police, is really a non-issue (so they can't nerve staple; does anyone? Unless you're a sabre-rattling despot who doesn't care about commerce, I guess). Beyond that they are just kings at the Probe Game, vital and lucrative, as any human player knows. And the roll-over issue: I just edit their faction template to +1 Probe instead of +2, so the free Covert Ops Centers will grant them the (proper) maximum possible benefit in-game, including subversion immunity.

The University's popularity is understandable; I still remember way back when Gamespot released their SMAC Strategy Guide on their site and were trumpeting the University horn all the way. However, for all their ivory tower pursuit of knowledge and technology, I see University society like one huge technical college; very clinical, regimented, cold and humorless. Also, their stance on individual human rights and privaledges is in question due to "unethical" drone problems.
Old May 23, 2002, 00:36   #86
Mr. President
Emperor

I agree with your analysis of the University. But the Data Angels aren't really to my taste. I like order and the rule of established governments. The Data Angels seem to run counter to that for me.