Old April 27, 2002, 08:45   #1
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Question for all
At about what year do you people start using modern stuff like aircraft? I'm in the middle ages in the year 1834AD. By the way this is my first game, and i am on an island by my self so i cant trade with other civs till my ships can leave the coast.

---------------------------------------
To the Civ team
---------------------------------------
That ships not leaving the coast early in the game is great, in most strat game i get sick of being attacked by rafts from the other side of the map!
Old April 27, 2002, 09:14   #2
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I´ve had aircraft as early as the 1400´s ( OK, so it´s not that early...). Agressive and well aimed tech trading is a must to achieve this though...
Old April 27, 2002, 10:21   #3
Spec
Emperor

It depends on the level you play. The higher the level the faster you gain techs. So to answer your question, I usually reach the end of the tech tree in 1500 at Monarch level.

Spec.
Old April 27, 2002, 10:24   #4
HazieDaVampire
King

usualy expect it to be the other way around, the higher the level the slower it is!
Old April 27, 2002, 10:28   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:40
Thats what most people thought would occur as well.
But the AI gets research a lot faster on higher levels, meaning that YOU researching stuff that is already discovered is a lot cheaper too. You then get it faster. Or you could buyit from the AI or beat it out of them.
The point is the bonus the AI gets on higher levels helps them research faster than is possible on lower levels.
Old April 27, 2002, 10:43   #6
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
usualy expect it to be the other way around, the higher the level the slower it is!
Really?!? Wow, are we playin the same game here? I always buy or hog my techs from the AI and once I get big I take the lead and keep it.

Spec.
Old April 27, 2002, 10:44   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

Eh? That totaly irelivant from what i said!
Old April 27, 2002, 13:39   #8
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
Considering that I have a knack for apparently breaking treaties and whatnot, it gets hard for me to trade techs (at least in the latest games I've played), and so the tech rate for me along with everyone else stagnates.
Old April 27, 2002, 16:44   #9
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 17:40
My research comes pretty slow because I play on lower levels, but when I do play a higher level, I do see that the research goes faster.

That and the AI doesn't seem as interested in my techs that involve new units. (I'd rather give the AI all the gold I have for literature than trade him literature for iron working.) Of course, this is probably because they already have iron working, but still...
Old April 27, 2002, 17:03   #10
HazieDaVampire
King

your not able to put stuff on the table if they already have it. I think, thats why you cant ask for techs you already have too!
Old April 27, 2002, 22:21   #11
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:40
Dont start on an islansd for begginers best to start on pangea that way you trade and you can kill people much better.
myself always liked pangea because there less corruption and more resouces.
but it also makes it harder because everyone has more cities.
Old April 28, 2002, 06:45   #12
HazieDaVampire
King

I have a bit of a phobia about counter-strike offencives, thats why i try to be on an island! Cuz a beach landing on an enemy island stops the enemy if they manage to repell it, they can't quickly jump onto ships and sail over to my island!
Old April 28, 2002, 07:51   #13
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:40
Island maps are only any good for commercial civs. Otherwise corruption and waste eat away at your empire. Even if your settlements in a foreign land are in WLTK mode, there'll still be much corruption and waste to contend with.

Pangaea maps are excellent for expansionists and militaristic civs (or both in the case of the Zulu) as there's lots of land for you to spread to, and then you can field a huge army to overpower everyone else without having to worry about a navy to invade overseas.

Continents are a bit of both. I tend to hope that there are only two landmasses on a continent map I generate, as I can build my FP on the other landmass when I smash the enemy there. A continents map is compatible with all types of civs and all types of civ-specific traits/combos of traits.
Old April 28, 2002, 10:03   #14
HazieDaVampire
King

Its one of my dreams to own a hole continent, I really want to see what its like to try and defend and island that’s got the only oil in the hole world on it! So you have to defend your continent and an island miles away. Kinda like the Falklands conflict!
Old April 28, 2002, 16:55   #15
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 00:40
LordAzrael: I like islands and my favourite civ is Babylonians or Persians, neither of them very commercial. It works for me anyway...

And Hazie, Falklands? You mean you like to spend 400 gold p/t defending a handful of sheep ****gers on a chicken **** island on the other side of the world?