Old April 27, 2002, 15:06   #1
luegner
Settler

Local Time: 15:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bugs in 1.21 patch
I have noticed a few bugs that exist in the 1.21 patch. First off, I noticed that still in certain cities, I still see growth in 9999 turns and the city food supply still looks like it's overflowing. I have also noticed that the save speed from the previous patch is much slower. There was also some mention that bombarding would kill units and not just bring them down to one life unit. I have tried killing units with artillery and when their life unit gets down to one, the artillery decides to destroy the land improvement and not the unit. I have also noticed that when turning the science rate up, it has no effect on researching faster now. As before I have also noticed that hiring a large number of scientists has no profound effect on the science rate either.
Old April 27, 2002, 20:44   #2
Mr. Blaze
Settler

Local Time: 18:41
i THINK the killing units with bombard is a toggle switch in editor.. im not 100% sure tho...
Old April 27, 2002, 21:47   #3
Thrawn05
King

Re: Bugs in 1.21 patch
Quote:
Originally posted by luegner
I have also noticed that the save speed from the previous patch is much slower.
The save files are compressed now. To save space. A suggestion I mention a few months ago. My save folder was usually around 30MB to 100MB in save files. Most of which, were large maps though.

Quote:
There was also some mention that bombarding would kill units and not just bring them down to one life unit. I have tried killing units with artillery and when their life unit gets down to one, the artillery decides to destroy the land improvement and not the unit.
Goto the units tab in the editor, goto the lower left part of the screen. In the list, CTRL+Click on Lethal Land and/or Lethal Sea for the unit you want it to have. It was done this way to keep both the puriests and the Realism people happy.

Quote:
I have also noticed that when turning the science rate up, it has no effect on researching faster now. As before I have also noticed that hiring a large number of scientists has no profound effect on the science rate either.
It depends on what age you are in. At a certain point in all of my games, going above 50% doesn't change the number of turns it takes to finish a research. I don't think this was changed in 1.21f, but if so, I stand corrected.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:59   #4
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:41
Quote:
I still see growth in 9999 turns and the city food supply still looks like it's overflowing.
Is there a chance these cities need aqueducts or the like?
Old April 27, 2002, 22:10   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

yeah
If you need an aqueduct or similar improvement it'll say 9999, because its at its max but you can't support a higher pop. yet. It isn't a bug.
Old April 28, 2002, 16:11   #6
luegner
Settler

So the bombard only works if you were to create your own maps and not if the computer creates them? Why don't they say they only enabled it in the editor? It's a little misleading. I think if they didn't want to enable it at all, then why do it this way? Why not make it a preference?

The save time is unacceptable at any rate. That's fine if they can compress it but it's extremely slow. If this is the only way they can get the save files smaller on the hard drive, I don't think it's a good idea. With hard drives as large as they are these days, I don't think 100mb in save files is a big deal.

I still think that changing the science rate and having no effect is a bug. If you turn up the science rate, then you should get a faster research rate. Let's not forget as well that hiring any large number of scientists doesn't effect it either.

I can accept the 9999 issue with the food supply but I think it should be dealt with differently. It should specifically say that you need an aqueduct to grow the city more if that is the problem.
Old April 28, 2002, 17:14   #7
Ethelred
King

You didn't have any bugs in your post. Not a one. Its supposed to work that way. Well its not supposed be exceedingly slow but most likely you are either playing on a slow machine or you are playing on a huge map.

It does take longer to save but its not a big change on a standard map.

Quote:
I still think that changing the science rate and having no effect is a bug. If you turn up the science rate, then you should get a faster research rate.
Its supposed to be that way. First there is a four turn limit. Second a ten percent change in the rate at the beginning of the game won't always change the amount of money spent. Its kind of hard for ten percent to mean much when you only have 4 G/T. Third ten percent may not be enough to make a difference in comparison to the cost of the tech. If ten percent changes the money spent by 8 and the cost is 200 there is not going to be change in time unless you were on the cusp..

Quote:
I can accept the 9999 issue with the food supply but I think it should be dealt with differently. It should specifically say that you need an aqueduct to grow the city more if that is the problem.
You will be nagged by the Domestic Fool when you hit the limit. Only if you have the tech though. The 9999 thing is silly. I have no idea why they havn't fixed that. It looks suspisciously like a leftover from early development.
Old April 28, 2002, 17:20   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Has anyone seen this bug?

Hit f4 to go to the diplomacy screen after loading a saved game. The saved game of course is an original 1.21f file. You will notice a yellowish-orange disk where someone's picture should be. Shift right clicking on this disk does not allow you to chose any other civs to display. Is this a bug?
Old April 28, 2002, 18:16   #9
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 23:41
I cant get shift right click to work at all on the F4 advisor screen, and as for the science issue, if you set some citizens to be scientists they're not working the land so you get less income to spend on science in the first place. That option seems to be only useful in large cities where there are no land tiles left for new citizens to work.
Old April 30, 2002, 03:46   #10
luegner
Settler

A few more bugs or annoyances
I don't know if this is a bug but I'm getting tired of cleaning up pollution and not have the resources reallocated to the square in which the pollution appeared.

Also, anyone ever seen a coastal fortress attack an enemy ship or do they just deter an enemy ship from coming anywhere near the city square?

It's a shame that the scientists are useless. I remember in Civ II when you could hire a whole bunch and actually research stuff faster. I also remember when turning up the science rate actually meant faster research rates.