Old April 27, 2002, 19:03   #31
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes. I always doubt the official version of things. If this happened in my country there'd be formal inquries at the very least, not just casual dismissal.
Old April 27, 2002, 19:07   #32
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:41
You mean there was an enquiry every time the SAS blew away an IRA terrorist?
Old April 27, 2002, 19:15   #33
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Wrong country, honey. Sweden.
Old April 27, 2002, 19:20   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ratz. I thought you were both UK.

In any event, if your country held an enquiry everytime a terrorist was killed by your police you'd be sillier than the Finns.

PS. I don't think even they are that silly.
Old April 27, 2002, 19:29   #35
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It would be a whole lot simpler if we could see if he was dead in the picture with the bot. Anyone got the whole pic somewhere? I hate it when people make these "clarifications" without providing the originals.

Edit: even at the risk of starting a flamewar, I just have to say that I also hate it when people post emotional outbursts as arguments in matters where rational analysis is the only way of clearing up stuff. "Just end" indeed, "how would you feel" indeed, why the f@ck do we even bother if everything can be dismissed with self-righteous babble.
Not that I'm naming any names...

Last edited by Jaakko; April 27, 2002 at 19:37.
Old April 27, 2002, 19:35   #36
notyoueither
Deity

The question is still open Snapcase.

If Sweden found itself with a terrorist problem and people were blowing up school children, would you still be disturbed by the photos? Would you be questioning the motives of your police? Honestly?
Old April 27, 2002, 19:37   #37
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny
As I wrote, we'll probably never know.
No,people like you know. You just lie to yourself and pull off stunts like this to spread your lies. I suppose the bot and bomb straps pictures where missing?

Or unless ; you didnt want to put them here for some reason?
Old April 27, 2002, 19:41   #38
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaakko
It would be a whole lot simpler if we could see if he was dead in the picture with the bot. Anyone got the whole pic somewhere? I hate it when people make these "clarifications" without providing the originals.

Edit: even at the risk of starting a flamewar, I just have to say that I also hate it when people post emotional outbursts as arguments in matters where rational analysis is the only way of clearing up stuff. "Just end" indeed, "how would you feel" indeed, why the f@ck do we even bother if everything can be dismissed with self-righteous babble.
Not that I'm naming any names...
I'd say it's pretty clear that he's dead in the picture with the bot, because nobody is kneeling on his legs at that point.
Old April 27, 2002, 19:48   #39
Jaakko
King

A very good point, but now there'll always be doubt, since everyone is providing incomplete info to reinforce their case (not the posters, but those who originally made and forwarded the edited sets) . Reminds me of whatshisname in SMAC talking about those who withhold information...
Old April 27, 2002, 19:54   #40
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaakko
Here is the entire series of pics for you.

Old April 27, 2002, 19:57   #41
Jaakko
King

Thanks, that's much better!
Old April 27, 2002, 20:15   #42
mactbone
Prince

To state the obvious.

Look at the wheels in pics one and three - now compare it to the wheels of the vehicle in pic 4. Either someone replaced the chrome wheels, or it's a different car. Not only that, but the people arresting the guy are obviously different from pics three to four.

DDs pics, while giving a clearer picture also fail to show when exactly the new vehicle and other personnel arriived.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old April 27, 2002, 20:30   #43
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Seen those pics before, been shocked, debated them with Siro, not been convinced by his arguments...
Old April 27, 2002, 21:38   #44
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 19:41
As always....

Here's what Snopes has to say.

Which boils down to "Unless a unbiased news agency can get ALL the pictures, we'll never no"
Old April 27, 2002, 23:08   #45
notyoueither
Deity

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before, since it's obviously created so many knotted shorts.

OK. Perfect. So everybody is going to read into them exactly what they want to. I admit, when I saw the first 5 posted by Bugs the fifth hit me like a 2-by-4.

Then the explanation was provided of the bomb. Sorry, absolutely zero sympathy from this corner for terrorists of any flavour.

Now it's an Israeli conspiracy to beguile me. Great. On what faith am I to take it that the police of a democratic country are perpetrating such crimes and coverups?

And again. If this were happening in your own country, would you be questioning the actions of your police? Would you believe them, or the other guys?
Old April 28, 2002, 00:38   #46
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The truth is: if you claim to be from Israel or a staunch pro-Israeli, or if you are from Palestine (or any Arab nation) and are pro-Palestine, I can not believe a word you say.

Period.
Old April 28, 2002, 00:41   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
On what faith am I to take it that the police of a democratic country are perpetrating such crimes and coverups?
If you were an American, you wouldn't be saying this .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 28, 2002, 01:16   #48
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
The truth is: if you claim to be from Israel or a staunch pro-Israeli, or if you are from Palestine (or any Arab nation) and are pro-Palestine, I can not believe a word you say.

Period.
Even about recipes for beef stroganov?
Old April 28, 2002, 02:33   #49
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
If you look at stage 5 closely, you see the dead body is lying on top of something, but that something wasn't what the cop was trying to remove in stage 4. In stage 4 the suspect was already on top of that something.

So what was it that the cops was trying to remove?

Also in stage 5, there appears no attachment between that something underneath and the dead body.
Old April 28, 2002, 02:40   #50
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Even about recipes for beef stroganov?
No!
Old April 28, 2002, 03:09   #51
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory

No,people like you know. You just lie to yourself and pull off stunts like this to spread your lies. I suppose the bot and bomb straps pictures where missing?

Or unless ; you didnt want to put them here for some reason?
I suspected I'd get a response or two like that, even after posting disclaimers that I was wary of taking the pictures at face value.

On the site where I found those last night, those were the only pictures present. As anyone human would, I initially felt repulsed. Then I thought "Wait a minute....". That's why I posted them with the disclaimer that there was probably far more to them than meets the eye.

There are still inconsistencies I'm unsatisfied about- if they were trying to wrestle a detonator from his hand, why does everyone look so static? Why the struggle, when one good kick would have snapped his arm like a twig?

We'll probably never know, as I said. Still, if it got even one person to go to Amnesty International and start doing something productive about human rights (whichever side of the ME debate they're on) instead of just huffing and puffing on discussion boards then I'm happy with the results. That's the reason.

I can understand your reaction, and I'm not about to criticise it because it would be wrong of me to do so. I'll just clarify that as a true cynic, I'm pretty suspicious of both sides. I've never been a believer in the white hat/black hat approach.
Old April 28, 2002, 03:22   #52
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
There are still inconsistencies I'm unsatisfied about- if they were trying to wrestle a detonator from his hand, why does everyone look so static? Why the struggle, when one good kick would have snapped his arm like a twig?
My guess is that a good swift kick would have accomplished the task, but the police were at the point where they said "Ah, **** this *******" and just shot the fellow to simplify matters. Probably impossible to substantiate as either appropriate or excessive use of force on the part of the cops, though, even for the Isreali internal affairs agency (whatever it's called).
Old April 28, 2002, 03:58   #53
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
Quote:
Why the struggle, when one good kick would have snapped his arm like a twig?
If he got a bomb vest strapped on his chest, wouldn't flipping him on his back solve the problem?
Old April 28, 2002, 04:25   #54
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Naw... that would have been too smart, UR .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old April 28, 2002, 04:28   #55
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Yeah, I always love to have (suspected) suicide bombers laying on their backs in the middle of the open road.

What's to stop him from just pushing the detonator on his chest laying on his back, UR?
Old April 28, 2002, 04:30   #56
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
And again. If this were happening in your own country, would you be questioning the actions of your police? Would you believe them, or the other guys?
Well we're doing a fair bit of questioning in the Bloody Sunday Enquiry.
Old April 28, 2002, 04:33   #57
notyoueither
Deity

Out of how many gunned down IRA members Bugs?

BTW, which Bloody Sunday is that? Actually I'm being honest here. What is being enquired about at this late date?
Old April 28, 2002, 04:35   #58
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
What's to stop him from just pushing the detonator on his chest laying on his back, UR?
Israeli soliders pinning him down .
Old April 28, 2002, 04:37   #59
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Israeli soliders pinning him down .
You trust people like Eli to do their jobs properly?
Old April 28, 2002, 04:39   #60
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Good point... I don't trust Eli to piss correctly.