Re: I brought somethin to splain myself
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Back on topic…

[b]LaFayette[/b
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong
[
Sorry, I think I must correct you:
1) Pollution is caused by overpopulation (cured by mass transit)and/or by excess of production (partly cured by hydroplant, or better by solar plant or recycling).
2) The probability of pollution is given by the chimneys that appear on the city screen (1 chimney=10%).
3) When one square is polluted, pollution must be removed by settlers or (preferably) engineers.
4) If you don't remove it, GW occurs when 9 squares are polluted
5) There is no way to cure GW (though solar plants help preventing it).

That is why I wrote that the combined effect helps us taking into account the long term effects of pollution (ie you may pollute, but you should then take care to get rid of it ASAP)

(La Fayette, having a nice rest after clearing a few squares)
Old May 6, 2002, 11:40   #32
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
another OT derailment
Quote:
The way global warming is implemented is stupid. No effect (except the little dot changing color) for a long time, then suddenly dozens of tiles change all at once.
I fully agree. However,
Quote:
...otherwise intelligent folk parroting the media when they could be thinking for themselves and looking at the data. Don't confuse pollution (a genuine problem, esp. in northern Europe) with gw.
As a climatologist (at least I have a piece of paper claiming that ), I have to argue with you a bit. You are correct that sensationalized reports in the media are exagerations giving attention to 'worst case' scenarios. BUT, the data show that global warming is real, and at a minimum is exacerbated by mankind. It's impossible to fairly argue that people are the sole or even primary cause, but equally unrealistic to deny that human activity influences it strongly. Whatever the politically correct stance, the world is warming up - what is unknown is how long it will continue, how great the changes will be, and what the effects will ultimately be - and, of course, if it would be happening even without people fouling everything up. Because there is so much guesswork about the outcome, worst case scenarios pop up more than they should.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 6, 2002, 18:17   #33
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:42
A climatologist, eh?
A few years ago a 5000 year old mummified man was discovered high in the Alps. A forest fire had generated soot that was blown onto a glacier, and the soot raised the solar absorbtion and caused the equivalent of many decades of retreat, and retreat in an uncharacteristic pattern. Thus the body was revealed. While human activity has been measured in ices as ppm concentrations of metals and soots, here a natural event (which was shortened by human intervention, btw) was far more significant in effect.

My father gets AAAS's Science journal review, which reprints journal articles from a wide variety of fields. Often an interesting read. I recall one article that documented the rise in solar output by ground and satellite data. The rate of increase was 0.01W/m² per year over a twenty year period (1979-1999, IIRC).

I had also just stumbled on almanac data on per capita power usage, country by country, that claimed to include all power sources including heating and cooking fires (substantial fraction of power sources in 3rd world). Qatar had the highest, at something like 20kW. USA was about 12kW. Northern Europe about 10kW average. So I did some math with the population figures.

The 0.01W/m² comes to total insolation increase of 1274GW/year, or 25.5TW increase over those 20 years, greater than the entire output of all human power sources for one year. So a blip in the power output of the Sun, ignored by most climatologists chiming in on human influence on global warming, might well be more significant.

Compared to the total spectrum 1370W/m² insolation human effort is on the order of 0.01-0.02%, and it is difficult for me to consider this troublesome.

As for greenhouse effects, every indication is that ruminants generate more methane than industrial sources and significant amounts of CO2… just call me a skeptic on the whole man-is-devastator thing.
Old May 7, 2002, 09:47   #34
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Re: A climatologist, eh?
Quote:
...So a blip in the power output of the Sun, ignored by most climatologists chiming in on human influence on global warming, might well be more significant.
The sun is by far the single most important source of energy. Anybody would consider a change in the sun's output to be nothing less than the most important change of all. BUT - Once the sun's energy reaches earth, greenhouse gasses keep the resulting infrared radiation in the atmosphere. The argument is not that humans add more energy on the source side of the equation, but that we allow less energy to radiate out of the system. Result: temps rise, even with zero increase in energy input.
Quote:
As for greenhouse effects, every indication is that ruminants generate more methane than industrial sources and significant amounts of CO2…
Perhaps, but one could argue that there would be billions fewer ruminants on the planet if not for human use of them. Anyway, I think its rather humorous that cow farts (termites actually give off even more methane, btw) are a significant factor.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you are out of line for doubting the significance of human impact on global warming. That humans impact it is not in doubt - but the question of how much is not settled. You argue that it is insignificant, that's fine. Others point out that the industrial revolution coincides perfectly with warming, and take the argument from there.

Personally, I think we are a factor, but we'll need decades more measurements to really understand how much. As for how that affects policy/lifestyle, I prefer to err on the safe side. After all, there is no going back if the wrong choice is made now. I'd rather our generations be seen as silly and overconcerned by our decendants than as having missed a grand opportunity to reduce any harm we might be doing.

intelligence to few.
Old May 7, 2002, 12:59   #35
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: A climatologist, eh?
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

I'd rather our generations be seen as silly and overconcerned by our decendants than as having missed a grand opportunity to reduce any harm we might be doing.
So said the first president of ACS democracy (long applause).
I would love to listen to those words in the mouth of Mr B (president of that charming country that La Fayette helped acquiring its independence).

I guess Ming is soon going to frown at us
Old May 7, 2002, 16:32   #36
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:42
Don't worry, Ming. When we veered way off topic, I went back and edited my first post to insert a notification. Anybody who picks up this thread from the beginning will have had fair warning long before they get to this point.

Personally, I think it's stupid for anyone to dismiss the threat of global warming. 1) The warming is real, hardly anyone seems to doubt that, and there's no reason to assume that it poses no threat. 2) Humans contribute to it (by burning fuels, by raising hordes of ruminants, and by razing the forests that help to counteract the process). We don't know how much, but if we don't want to wreck our only planet, it seems reasonable to study the issue and try to minimize our impact. 3) Who would have thought that spraying DDT in a noble attempt to wipe out malaria would wind up causing birds' eggshells to be too thin and break, nearly wiping out the California brown pelican and numerous other species? It's not a simple universe, and only a simpleton would treat it as one.

The only reason I can see for dismissing the possible importance of the issue is political. Some people just don't want to believe anything that smacks of environmentalism or any other leftist sentiment. Oddly enough, the people who have no interest in conserving our natural resources are called, in the U.S. anyway, "conservatives." Go figure.
Old May 7, 2002, 21:31   #37
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Just so ya know, we call him "Dubya," which is southern for "W," as in George W. Bush.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:43   #38
Straybow
Emperor

Chicken Little deserves to be Chicken Alfredo (yum!)
debeest, it's a little like worrying over growing old. Sure, some things you might do to your body will affect the details, but the process itself isn't going to be seriously affected by any well-intended intervention. Deepak Chopra's mumbo-jumbo can't make you live 150 years, and human activity can't seriously affect world climactic cycles. We are the proverbial drop in the bucket.

In the case of DDT, man introduces an almost infintely persistant chemical with intended harmful effects without thinking about the consequences. D'oh! Chalk it up to experience. But gw being affected by organic chemicals or trace metal pollution? No.

Most political conservatives do want to conserve nature. But we do it by contributing money to Nature Conservancy or WWF to buy land. Liberals want to spend money on lobbying for regulations that deprive property owners without compensation, and that is wrong. Sierra Club and Greenpeace won't get a dime from me, however pretty their calendars may be.

I grew up in suburban Pittsburgh. The pictures of how nasty the air pollution was during the height of the steelmaking boom are scary. Yet my grandmother grew up downwind from Pgh only an hour away, in a rural comunity, and there was no impact.

My grandparents moved to suburban Pgh, and my mom spent her teen years there. But that was on the South side, upwind of the worst of it, and it really wasn't bad at all. In my childhood (same township) the steel industry was on its way down, and pollution controls were just coming into force. Today you wouldn't know anything about it if it weren't for old-timers and museums.

The same can be said for Eastern Europe, but displaced some decades. Atmospheric pollution is so much less now simply because the worst sources have shut down. If this kind of thing affected gw the worst would be over already, and we'd be in global cooling.

As for ruminants, it seems many modern folk forget what the world was like just 1-2 centuries ago. There were hundreds of millions of horses and oxen used for transportation and farm labor. If there are more cattle and sheep now it is a change of proportional numbers among species rather than a dramatic increase in total numbers. Global warming would be worse without internal combustion engines, if methane emissions are your main worry.

The essential component to "political correctness," as differentiated from honest debate, is that debate itself is somehow wrong. Someone invents a problem that doesn't really exist, and then imposes a solution that wouldn't really solve the problem if it did exist. Should anyone point out the fictional nature of the claims or the self-serving solution presented it is worse than the supposed cause.

Making global warming 100% dependent on human activity in the game is absurd, and if there were a patch that eliminated it I'd be the first to sign up. To bad eliminating such folly from real life is a bit harder.
Old May 10, 2002, 10:10   #39
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:42
Re: Chicken Little deserves to be Chicken Alfredo (yum!)
Quote:

Making global warming 100% dependent on human activity in the game is absurd, and if there were a patch that eliminated it I'd be the first to sign up. To bad eliminating such folly from real life is a bit harder.
Uhh, it's a game

If there was no global warming in CivII, wouldn't everyone throw nukes around like howitzers are used now? If there's no game consequence, then nukes become unbalancing. In the real world, if nukes were used on a massive scale (i.e. Invasion Earth thread) there would be long term environmental consequences that couldn't be restored by engineers over the space of a few years.

Argue all you like about whether GW exists in the real world (and, even if it doesn't, I doubt that many people would say that having factories, cars, and herds of cattle pumping methane and CO into the atomosphere is a GOOD thing ), but it seems to only make sense that an invincible unit should have some checks on it. Call it global warming, or nuclear winter, or whatever. Without some negative consequences... the game becomes one dimensional. IMO.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 10, 2002, 14:15   #40
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Re: Chicken Little deserves to be Chicken Alfredo (yum!)
Quote:
... Liberals want to spend money on lobbying for regulations that deprive property owners without compensation,
The pictures of how nasty the air pollution was during the height of the steelmaking boom are scary.
the steel industry was on its way down, and pollution controls were just coming into force. Today you wouldn't know anything about it if it weren't for old-timers and museums.
Atmospheric pollution is so much less now simply because the worst sources have shut down.
And why did that happen? Not by putting aside NC land! The mean liberals are behind it. You remark yourself the tangible positive result of the approach you claim to oppose. Regulation is indeed a messy bureaucratic juggernaut that could probably be streamlined a hundred ways, but is done with the right goals in mind.

You insist that global warming is somehow a politically correct white elephant created by interest groups. It is real, and outside of industry groups, it is accepted as truth. Scientists argue over the details, but few dismiss it as a valid issue. There is nothing fictional about it. How significant it is, I would consider a valid debate - but calling it a fictional creation just shows that you don't really know how much scientists have shown.

Are humans that insignificant? Not at all. Even a 1' rise in global temp can make a big difference on the ground. It results in shifted winds, which causes moisture to be distributed differently. It could change the area a crop could grow by hundreds of miles - that alone would change the economy of any rural area affected. It could result in a wider area affected by certain diseases. The ramifications are wide and subtle. Some areas would be harmed, others might benefit. Eventually, the biosphere should balance everything out. However, the time scale isn't in the best interests of people.

intelligence to few.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:24   #41
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:42
A link to a detailed description of the pollution in Civ2:
Pollution Explanation (by request from Supernaut) - Civilization Fanatics' Forums
Old May 11, 2002, 02:39   #42
La Fayette
King

SlowThinker
Thank you for the link.
VERY interesting indeed
Old May 12, 2002, 13:20   #43
bellisaurius
Settler

Wow,

I didn't think that this would be such a hot button topic, or that a climatoligist would be in it ( I'm a chemical engineer, BTW). I'm happy to see mainstream (I'm assuming, but it seems reasonable) thought on the topic seems moderated in its conclusions. Except for a rare paper which doesn't seem tilted, I only get stuff from trade magazines (ACS, AIChE, AWWA, etc..) and Discover and its ilk.

I wish I saw more stuff like that. I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time debating questions of GW's severity which always seem to come off as sounding like a denial of existing data, which I wouldn't do. Although I will say this, mankind is quite resiliant. I wouldn't go around screwing with things just to do it, but the inevitable has little scare for me as well. Neither best nor worst case scenarios ever seem to pan out.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:24   #44
Straybow
Emperor

PC is not progress
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Quote:
the steel industry was on its way down, and pollution controls were just coming into force. Today you wouldn't know anything about it if it weren't for old-timers and museums.

Atmospheric pollution is so much less now simply because the worst sources have shut down.
And why did that happen? Not by putting aside NC land! The mean liberals are behind it. You remark yourself the tangible positive result of the approach you claim to oppose…

You insist that global warming is somehow a politically correct white elephant created by interest groups. It is real, and outside of industry groups, it is accepted as truth…
Pollution reductions happened as a byproduct of progress. First, the harm of proven pollutants inspired pollution controls. Although some robber-baron types grated at the thought, most of your average folk could see real value in reducing air pollution. The effects are tangible.

Not so with gw; it is "accepted as truth" primarily by those who have no interest in investigating on their own and entirely too much trust in news media hungry for hot-button topics on which they may pontificate. The ozone layer hype didn't pan out, so on to gw. I've had conversations with ordinary folk who can't tell the difference between the two, or even think that the "ozone hole" has caused gw!

Second, much of the reduction occured because outdated plants were shut down for other economic reasons. The cost of adding exhaust scrubbers was a secondary factor in those economic reasons, but most would not have had their lives extended for a decade without that added cost.

Third, some of the contaminants removed have value, such as fly ash. Not enough to justify the expense of compliance, but enough to recover some of the costs. Bottling CO2 has a limited market, but those uses release it back into the atmosphere.

It is gw as an issue is a political manufaction. The best data we have on gw comes from the historical record, and the historical record of the "little optimum" (10th-13th cen AD, IIRC) shows that effects were positive. I don't recall an archeological study to the contrary.

To date, the effect of greenhouse gasses are unquantifiable. The relative effectiveness of a gas can be estimated based on spectral absorbtion. Overall, the thermal balance between atmosphere, oceans, and land is very poorly understood. The roles of individual trace gasses are complete guesses.

For a long time the best data available on high altitude trace gasses was a study (1995??) that comprised a grand total of eleven data points, all taken during two flights that extended no further than 300 miles (or was it 300 km??) of Iceland. It was cited in studies of ozone/CFC effects and gw effects.

That data was extrapolated over the entire arctic & subartic regime, an area 50+ times larger than the sample and not well represented by the sample. That article cited a study of high altitude gasses taken around eruptions of Mt. Pinatubo that showed quicker return to pre-eruption levels than anticipated.

It is gw as the result of human activity that is completely without support. Trace gasses in ice samples do not show a correlation between CO2 and historical warming/cooling cycles. Oxygen isotope ratios extend historic cycles to perhisory, but again no correlation with CO2 fluxuations have been shown. Without that the tie to human activity vanishes completely.
I'm open to evidence, not to PC drivel. Harumph!

6k dude:
To keep this at least a little on topic, I don't think the AI takes gw into consideration when it comes to lobbing nukes. And, yes, most scientists (including most who might fall on the PC side of the gw issue) think that cooling due to high altitude particulates is the more certain result of any extensive nuclear exchange. Again there is historical/archeological evidence from the Krakatoa event and the resulting "year without a summer."

Pollution already causes loss of food, production, and maybe trade (can't remember). What it should also do is cause unhappiness. As for nuclear pollution, it could just be made more persistant.

The scary thing about nukes is that investment in the production capital required has an incredible "bang for the buck." Nukes are far more effective weapons in terms of fiscal and economic cost, both for strategic bombing and for tactical use. If Civ2 were realistic (the word we hate to love) the cost would probably be 40 shields or maybe even less.

That howitzer unit you mentioned would be able to launch nukes. So would bombers, fighters, cruise missiles, and battleships. The only nukes used in war were dropped from bombers, true? The US successfully tested a nuclear shell for the 203mm gun, developed a nuke for the 16" naval gun (never deployed), and actually deployed nuclear air to air rockets on the F-106!

See you in the fall-out shelter.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:40   #45
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Re: PC is not progress
Quote:
Not so with gw; it is "accepted as truth" primarily by those who have no interest in investigating on their own and entirely too much trust in news media hungry for hot-button topics on which they may pontificate.
Huh? Those accepting people I refer to are the cadre of atmospheric scientists who do the research. They not only have an interest in investigating on their own, they are the ones ACTUALLY INVESTIGATING THE TOPIC! Why you think they are skewed by news media baffles me. They do the research before anybody reports on it, after all. Ordinary folk can certainly be swayed by news media, that happens with any (every?) topic.

You make good points about other reasons for cleaner air, I just gave a quick knee-jerk reaction in my other post. As for industrial by-products with other uses, I agree with you. I don't advocate blindly regulating everything on a hunch that its by-products might be bad - just those we know are harmful.

I don't have any intention of riling you up on the topic! I'm fine with disagreement. As I wrote before, I prefer a caution approach to the topic, but don't mind if others differ.

intelligence to few.
Old May 14, 2002, 15:16   #46
Campo
Warlord

Straybow,

You're obviously intelligent and selectively well-read, but I think you're suffering from a case of "believing is seeing". You're focusing strictly on evidence that supports your opinion and ignoring evidence that contradicts it.

I'll state one small example:
Quote:
I grew up in suburban Pittsburgh. The pictures of how nasty the air pollution was during the height of the steelmaking boom are scary. Yet my grandmother grew up downwind from Pgh only an hour away, in a rural comunity, and there was no impact.
I live in upstate New York. Many trees in the Adirondack State Park forests are dying. Scientists -- not the media, not liberal politicians, but real and numerous scientists -- have analyzed the contaminants and traced it to acid rain generated by pollution from factories in the midwest. We're not talking an hour away, we're talking over 500 miles away, with more than a 1000 square mile spread. The effect of pollution is worse in the locality, but it's not necessarily limited to it.

I'm not going to get into a long discussion because it's obvious I'm not going to convince you of anything, but I have to comment on this:
Quote:
Most political conservatives do want to conserve nature. But we do it by contributing money to Nature Conservancy or WWF to buy land.
That may be true of genuine "conservatives", and it may be true of you, but it's wildly inaccurate for the vast majority of modern U.S. political conservatives.

To have a minor on-topic point:
I don't like the Civ2 global warming ramifications (my engineers have better things to do) or the nuclear weapons impact (the game degenerates badly if the AI gets them, IMHO), so I edit RULES.TXT to eliminate nukes in most of my games. Does anyone consider that a cheat?
Old May 14, 2002, 20:15   #47
Marquis de Sodaq
King

No, it's not a cheat - It gives no one civ an advantage. I, too, dislike nukes in games. Luckily I've learned to win long before that option comes up. Before that, tho, I disabled the manhattan project in games I wanted to play on a really big map. You can edit the rules to make the game fun - that's why CivII is still being played after years!

intelligence to few.
Old May 15, 2002, 07:56   #48
Campo
Warlord

Quote:
You can edit the rules to make the game fun
That's something I'd like to do more of. The only changes I've made to RULES.TXT have been very limited and experimentation could be fun.
Old May 17, 2002, 03:21   #49
Straybow
Emperor

I agree. I didn't even know about rules.txt until I can to this site around Xmas '98. My civving experience was greatly improved by experimentation with movement rates, combat values, etc.

The first thing I did was eliminate nukes. Then I found out one can defang them. It turns out that anything with an Attack value greater than 49 is interpreted as a nuke. Change nukes to Att 49 and it becomes tolerable, but then the AI wastes too much effort on them so it's better to eliminate them totally.

Has anyone ever seen the AI use a spy to plant a nuke? I haven't.
Old May 17, 2002, 03:47   #50
Straybow
Emperor

Now to wander off topic again…
Marquis, don't worry. I'm only riled at those who insist that I spend my money on their speculative projects. I'm just presenting the reasoned arguments of a skeptic. Data is good, but it isn't perfect. Scientists are good at what they do, but most have an agenda: keeping themselves in funding. If that makes them less receptive to skepticism directed their way I'm not the least surprised.

Sorry, I simply don't consider any of their ongoing research to be conclusive enough to warrant anything beyond academic attention. Making it into a media issue or a political activism is going too far. Collect all the experts and activists in Kyoto and stamp out a treaty that makes them beat their chests and crow about how concerned they are. Then ignore them until estimates can be refined and supported (or not) and until solutions with worthwhile results can be proposed.

This cycle already happened once before. In the early '90s many scientists were convinced, based on published, peer-reviewed work, that the Southern ozone hole was causing all kinds of problems in Argentina and Chile. Melanomas and lip cancers among gauchos and shepherds, cataracts among livestock, UV burns on plants, etc. were all grist for the mill.

C-12 was banned and liberals tried to convince themselves that pit stains were chic alternatives to forking out $1200 to price-gouging specialists to convert their car A/C units to some other refrigerant. Industries spent billions switching to alternate processes and refrigerants.

Several years later all those were found to be unrelated to the ozone hole. Lip cancers were related to tobacco and other habits, eye problems in livestock were due to a misdiagnosed conjunctivitis outbreak, and leaf "burns" due to atmospheric contaminants rather than UV slipping through the thinned ozone layer. NPR actually did a feature on it (and you know how rare it is to get a three line retraction from the media, much less a feature, and you know how PC "All Things Considered" is).

Every year that a Southern ozone hole appeared it closed again in the Antarctic summer. Why? Because sunlight UV creates the ozone in the first place. Only in the polar winter can CFC catalysis "get ahead" of the rate of formation, and as soon as insolation rises above some threshold level ozone is quickly replenished. Due to the persistant nature of the C-12 molecule trace levels in the upper atmosphere have not dropped much since the ban, nor have polar ozone layer effects changed much. It turns out that transport to the upper atmosphere is relatively insensitive to ground level concentrations.
Old May 17, 2002, 03:57   #51
Straybow
Emperor

Still wandering…
Campo, the same thing with acid rain. Over a decade ago, acidification in upstate NY and Scandinavia were found to be as much due to soil and bedrock types as to air pollution. One lake would be acidified and contaminated with leached metal ions, and the lake a mile away would be unaffected. All due to different layers of soils and rock types in the lakebed and surrounding terrain.

Some soils are easily capable of buffering all but the worst acid rain, others have little effect. Steep terrain leads to more surface runoff and less groundwater migration, and thus less buffering. That means rainwater low pH levels don't correspond closely to surface water pH levels except in special cases. Granite and diorite bedrock leach metal ions that kill fish, sedementary rocks generally don't. That means that lake water low pH levels don't correspond to biological impact except in certain cases.

Recently glaciated terrain was more likely to be effected due to thinner soil layers and larger areas of exposed granito-diorite bedrock. Hence, New England, Eastern Canada, and Scandanavia are prime targets.

The same goes for trees. Some species are sensitive to sulfuric acid levels but not nitric acid levels, or vice versa. In the case of the Black Forest it was found that observed defoliation was a less harmful and more temporary effect than activism and media hype had led the world to believe. AFAIK, no satisfactory explanation of weather conditions (due to man or not) has explained it fully.

Wherever the problems appear, they are primarily anthropogenic because the acid rain does come from anthropogenic sources. This is mostly due to coal burning, which means that power generation is the culprit rather than industrial contamination. Liberals on both sides of the Atlantic find themselves caught between the antinuclear rock and the acid rain hard place.

What to do, oh, what to do?

As for gw, I've read the mud-slinging in American Scientist over Lomborg's The Skeptical Environmentalist. Lomborg admits to anthropogenic gw, but points out that Kyoto would only delay effects slightly: Kyoto CO2 levels in 2100 are only six years behind levels without Kyoto, by their own figures. The annual cost for implementation estimated from $350 billion upwards could be better spent on almost any other environmental conservation or standard of living effort.

To me, that alone is compelling argument to throw Kyoto out on its collective ear. Let the "experts" nit-pick where Lomborg dares to wander onto their protected turf. Their conclusions ring hollow.

Cite UN studies on climate change, but unless by some miracle that committee is unaffected by the UN's pandemic PCness and socialistic bias I remain skeptical about their estimates and projections. Taken with a bit of salt I still disagree with conclusions that hasty attacks on marginal industrial contributions are called for. Complete conversion to non-CO2 power (hydrogen fuels, solar, nuclear) in developed countries could do only slightly better than Kyoto.

I personally think it would be good for political reasons to cut dependence on oil, and that the technological diversification would yield less tangible benefits. Until I see all these celeb advocates driving electric cars and using alternate power in their megabuck egocastles I'm not going to take any of them seriously either.

Civ and Civ2 were created when hype far outpaced science in the gw department. Without that pc hype I doubt either Sid or Bryan would have included such a wacky idea into the game. I'd bet it could be disarmed by changing just a few constants, if the formulae could be located in the code.
Old May 17, 2002, 07:24   #52
Campo
Warlord

This would indeed be a wonderful world if we could just get rid of all the liberals, right?

I never knew that about Attack value 49. Do you know what the AI does if you change nukes to even lower attack values? I'll probably just leave them disabled. It's been a while since the AI came anywhere near nukes in my games, but when in the early days when they got there I didn't enjoy how the game went.
Old May 17, 2002, 10:08   #53
Straybow
Emperor

Come, now, we needn't get rid of all the liberals, just convince them not to take themselves so seriously. You can't save the world, period. Heck, you can't even save your next-door neighbor. Look what happens to some of these wunderkind atheletes and Lotto winners who can't handle wealth and find themselves broke or even in debt after a few years of bad investments.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll resent your condescending intervention and go begging for a fish from somebody else. Cut him off from the freebies and he may pull himself up by the bootstraps.

With Att at 49 the quasi-nukes do tend to wipe out whatever they hit. Bump up the firepower to 9, too, for good measure. If you play bloodlust on a huge map sometimes you haven't even explored the whole thing by the time you get Apollo and see where all the cities are. You will run into lengthy nuclear exchanges if you haven't disabled them.
Old May 17, 2002, 10:52   #54
La Fayette
King

Straybow
IMO you would be a very convincing manager for the department of public relations in the region of Murmansk (I wouldn't swear about the high wages though ).
Old May 17, 2002, 11:09   #55
Campo
Warlord

Quote:
Come, now, we needn't get rid of all the liberals, just convince them not to take themselves so seriously.
As someone with rather mixed political and social opinions, I find that most conservatives take themselves every bit as seriously as the liberals. Need I refer to Pat Buchanan or Jesse Helms, for example? Not that I'm putting you in their category.

Regarding the nukes, I was wondering what the AI would do if their Attack was less than 49, for example 40.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:12   #56
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Campo
This would indeed be a wonderful world if we could just get rid of all the liberals, right?

I never knew that about Attack value 49. Do you know what the AI does if you change nukes to even lower attack values? I'll probably just leave them disabled. It's been a while since the AI came anywhere near nukes in my games, but when in the early days when they got there I didn't enjoy how the game went.
The default attack value is 99. Anything less, and it is just a cruise missile with a really big boom. It's the attack value that triggers the explosion graphic, the sound, and destruction effects. That works with any unit...

intelligence to few.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:14   #57
Campo
Warlord

Hey Ming,

Are you keeping an eye on us here? We're trying to tread the line between Civ relevance and social debate.

At least we're being Civil about it, pun intended.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:31   #58
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Re: Now to wander off topic again…
Quote:
Marquis, don't worry. I'm only riled at those who insist that I spend my money on their speculative projects. I'm just presenting the reasoned arguments of a skeptic. Data is good, but it isn't perfect. Scientists are good at what they do, but most have an agenda: keeping themselves in funding. ...
(re: bold) Which is why the argument continues, and we can both make valid arguments - a conclusion is not at hand, only a pile of observations and associations. Interpretation is still king in this field, imho. As for having your money (I presume you mean tax $) spent on speculative projects, don't worry. Research issues are a drop in the bucket of federal expenses. There are other, more inflamatory wastes than that. I was recently involved in a project for a US agency that has drained its budget - the agency must spend zillions in order to "prove" that a certain administrative action was legitimate - all because a litigation claim by a dozen yahoos in michigan was filed (basically "we disagree, so we sue"). Service must be cut, improvements put on hold, etc, until the legal case is resolved.

Scientists can keep themselves funded with or without global warming. There are plenty of other things we don't understand that would warrant research $ instead. I don't think that's a real issue. Researchers always need to apply for new grants, whatever the hot topic of the day might be.

I think the only scientists not open to skepticism are those who hold ego higher than science. After 20 years claiming truth in something that turns out to have been a castle built on sand, one may refuse to accept that his work has been debunked. O well, that's something he needs to work out on his own.

intelligence to few.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:45   #59
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:42
Quote:
Originally posted by debeest
SG1: Be nice, now. Many of us Amurricans are smarter than the oil man appointed by the Supreme Court justices appointed by his daddy. Smart enough to wonder how it is that "politically correct" is only used to refer to left-wingers, when the dominant politics of this country and most governments is thoroughly right-wing. And smart enough to see that that's exactly why the right wing got to define the term.

Then again, maybe I only know about Wales because that's where my grandaddy was born....
ooooh, you're so much better, debeest. Good to know that you can suck up to somebody trashing Americans. **** em. Napalm their babies. We showed them in 1776 and 1812 what we think of em.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:53   #60
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
ooooh, you're so much better, debeest. Good to know that you can suck up to somebody trashing Americans. **** em. Napalm their babies. We showed them in 1776 and 1812 what we think of em.
"Trashing Americans" -- oh I don't think so, I have found that you quaint colonials are so much better at that than we could ever be...

SG[1]