Old May 28, 2002, 23:27   #121
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm ready to...
... drop a (Civ2) nuke on all of ya and wait for the resulting 8 squares of pollution to raise the water level and ultimately, drown this thread

(no, really, that was a )

STYOM

Then again, I did read all the posts...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old May 28, 2002, 23:51   #122
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:42
debeest,

I really don't read that much stuff coming out from ACC. I've seen a fair amount of stuff from ACS (admittedly a body that combines industry and academia.) Well specifically CEN follows a lot of GW stuff. I find there coverage to be a bit pro-GW slanted. Not arguing the case, per se, but just how they choose to present things. Sorta like
NPR. (Am I at all clear? )

I think I was reasonable in my remarks about pro or anti-GW in terms of the public perception versus scientifice perception. It wasn't really such a strong blast as you imagine. Go back and look. In this case, the GW beleivers are the ones trying to change the system and their remedies are expensive and painful to society so I do notice them a bit more. In any case, its not a *** for tat war of who's side is lying more that interests me. Just an observation that I had...since I'm interested in thinking about the issue more insightfully and more scientifically.

Anyway...let it go. If we're going to discuss it, let's discuss the phenomenon itself.

Oh and my favorite wonder movies are Darwin and the UN.
Old May 28, 2002, 23:53   #123
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Straybow, out of curiosity, what is your background? Are you a nuke?
Old May 29, 2002, 05:38   #124
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:42
Avoided nuke like… well, you know. Political climate made career stability nil. Civil Engineering, completed course work for Structures MS, burned out on thesis projects—three strikes, you're out.
Old May 29, 2002, 05:46   #125
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Are you working for an AE firm?
Old May 29, 2002, 21:19   #126
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I should clarify: I avoided nuke, I really tried, but in the end I got a job with an Engr contractor at Savannah River Site. *sigh* Then along came Slick Willie, who put Hazel O'Leary in charge of DOE ( talk about putting the fox in the hen house). Layoffs ensued, and I had the distinct misfortune of surviving.

When I was laid off the entire SE US was flooded with 2300 SRS engrs plus others from big corporate "downsizing" who had snapped up all the jobs. I wish I had a dollar for every interview that concluded, "Well, we had positions open a X months back…"

Tried to start my own business (a mistake which I'm still paying for, literally). More recently the interviews tend to end with, "Looks good… Oh, how long since your last engr job?" Meanwhile tried the MCSE route (bogged down, then NT4.x courses were obsoleted as of 31 Dec 2001) and now try again (Win2000).

And now for some happy thoughts: [cue music]

…I just think of a few of my favorite things,
And then I don't feeeeeeel sooooooooo baaaaaaad!
Old May 29, 2002, 21:39   #127
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Good luck. How old are you?

Could you do smaller scale structural work. For a conventional AE firm? Maybe a local firm. I know the money isn't as good, but if yo9u get your PE, you can go out and have your won shop at some point...
Old May 30, 2002, 04:13   #128
Straybow
Emperor

38. I'm pursuing a contact; a friend's uncle's in-law who has a local AE/Construction firm. Had applications with the company before, but anything that gets them to see you as a person instead of a piece of paper helps.
Old May 30, 2002, 06:12   #129
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Hey StrayBow - sounds a real bummer - very best wishes with your job hunting - at least you're not too old to be employed - youth has a few advantages ...

SG[1]

[edit added 'too' and smiley]

Last edited by Scouse Gits; May 30, 2002 at 07:03.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:28   #130
Campo
Warlord

Quote:
Then along came Slick Willie, who put Hazel O'Leary in charge of DOE ( talk about putting the fox in the hen house).
Kind of like Bush putting Gale Norton in charge of the Interior Dept.

Seriously, good luck with your job hunt. I was unemployed for a year when I was 30, so I finally went back for a Masters and got into the computer field. It was a tough few years but worked out for the best after that. As SG said, at least your age is on your side -- old enough to have experience but young enough to avoid age bias. I'm 54 -- at that age it would be very tough finding another job.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:31   #131
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Snap Campo - I'm 55 in September

SG[1]
Old May 30, 2002, 12:05   #132
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

(Joins the sympathy circle) I'm out of work too. Haven't really tried to hard to find anything. I packed away a fair amount during the last couple years and am living off savings. Oh...I did work for the winter as a ski instructor...but its not really a money job.

Gotta get off my ass and do something.
Old May 30, 2002, 12:10   #133
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Thanks, guys, I feel much younger now. I'll only be 48 later this year.

RAH

GP, let us know about your CHICAGO PLANS
Old May 30, 2002, 12:13   #134
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
38. I'm pursuing a contact; a friend's uncle's in-law who has a local AE/Construction firm. Had applications with the company before, but anything that gets them to see you as a person instead of a piece of paper helps.
Take a look at the local construction and engineering industry.

I worked from 94-95 at an MEP firm. 50 person firm. Very different attitude than at a big government contractor. More nimble and scrappy. Might be an adjustment...but in the end most people prefer it. And that kind of work leads to partnership if you are good...or towards setting up your own firm...once you have experience in the market.

obligitory kermit post: I love the way pollution looks on the tiles.
Old May 30, 2002, 12:26   #135
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Thanks, guys, I feel much younger now. I'll only be 48 later this year.

RAH

GP, let us know about your CHICAGO PLANS
Roger, boss.

Weekend of the 14th/15th with a couple days on either side. (gotta get a ticket. (say 13-18) Will stay with sister near W.Melrose and Paulina. Probobly some family stuff on weekend but not entire weekend. Pretty much free on the weekdays since sister and bro-in-law will be working, perhaps out of town.

Am planning to do some networking interviews and just catch up with friends. That's why I'm making the trip a bit longer than usual. Will give you more info as it firms up. Nothing scheduled yet. Y'all can have first pick. I guess some options: have lunch, grab a brew after work, visit at y'alls house. Shoot: You could even show me how to play MP.

(Oblig. Kerm. P.: Never move 2 engineers or settlers onto a tile to fix pollution if it takes a movement point. It is more efficient to leave the one worker doing the job...since the movement points are lost. So if you have a roaded square (or a flat terrain square, for an engineer), feel free to double up. But in all other cases, just use one dude)
Old May 30, 2002, 16:10   #136
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hello, youngsters!
I'm 63 and no longer worrying with job hunting .
But I did experience that, many years ago (when the guy tells you 'I have really enjoyed meeting you, but...' and you would really enjoy having your left fist bumping his nose).
Good luck to you, from the bottom of my heart.
Old May 30, 2002, 16:46   #137
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:42

I will be 113 in the august you babies...
Old May 31, 2002, 03:45   #138
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
(Oblig. Kerm. P.: Never move 2 engineers or settlers onto a tile to fix pollution if it takes a movement point. It is more efficient to leave the one worker doing the job...since the movement points are lost. So if you have a roaded square (or a flat terrain square, for an engineer), feel free to double up. But in all other cases, just use one dude)

Generaly, when I've to doble engineers on cleaning pollution, it's in a emergency situation, to reduce instantly pollution and prevent global warming.
In that case, one mouv lost is not the matter.
Old May 31, 2002, 04:28   #139
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Granted in that case it makes sense. But otherwise, don't do it.
Old May 31, 2002, 05:50   #140
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

No age to be Civ addicted
I'm 53.
Old May 31, 2002, 06:13   #141
ramses II.
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
Welcome to the club. I'm 47.
Old May 31, 2002, 07:04   #142
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowThinker

I will be 113 in the august you babies...
That would be in game-turns

SG[1]
Old May 31, 2002, 13:30   #143
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
That would be in game-turns
SG[1]
Humans don't live that long, silly.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 31, 2002, 23:52   #144
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:42
I hate job-hunting worse than almost anything; you guys both have my deep sympathy.

I'm 46 and surprised at the apparent average age of the people checking in on this particular thread. I remember a thread a couple years ago that just asked everyone's age, and there were lots more youngsters.

And if we thought we were off topic before ....
Old June 1, 2002, 04:18   #145
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Humans don't live that long, silly.
Ah, M. le Marquis - you may have missed the discussion over on Civ2\Multiplaying in which SlowThinker stated that taking one hour to consider his first move would be typical - extrapolating from this I meant the actual elapsed time to make 113 game turns

SG[1]

[ablative armour] ... and we should always keep in mind Xin's excellent tutorial on how to utilise more than two Settlers/Engineers on a single task ... [/ablative armour]
Old June 2, 2002, 03:14   #146
Straybow
Emperor

Hmmm, let's see. 1 hour for the first turn, 2 for the second… that comes to 6,441 hours or 268 d 3 hr. I'm amazed he's every finished a game, or did he say once that he hasn't?

63, fifties, forties… For once I don't feel like an old fart here on Apolyton.
Quote:
Gotta get off my ass and do something
GP, I know what you mean. After a while I just got a job, any job. Desk clerk at a motel, now night auditor. No money, but it has advantages. Usually a few hours every night with literally nothing to do, so I can do this .

To actually play Civ (or HoMM, MoO) I'd have to bring my computer in… which I have done when desperate for a fix.

"I gotta TBS jones, I gotta TBS jones, I gotta TBS jones, ooo-ooo-ooo."
Old June 2, 2002, 06:22   #147
Straybow
Emperor

debeest, I literally missed your post, mine being one minute after yours then I picked up reading following that… and I hate to break up this love-fest or open up a whole discussion about PCness (getting even further off the topic).

Offhand I'd say McCarthyism is a different kettle of fish from modern PCness. Overreacting to Kruschev pounding his shoe on the UN lecturn shouting "We will bury you!" (with his proverbial finger on The Button) is not to be compared with a bunch of eggheads overreacting on global warming. However, had Sid made loyalty oaths a game feature with severe negative effects if neglected I'd say the same thing I've said about Sid's global warming: it is a misguided ideological intrusion upon gameplay.

Within the game the effects of almost any negative impact (unhappiness, corruption, pollution) can be addressed directly. Rules.txt allows anyone to undo the absurdities of some game features. Gw is not among those that can be corrected within the game model nor via rules.txt, and so I find it more offensive.

I remember back in the days of Civ, doubly unhappy "black faces" were introduced as a patch. I don't remember gw being part of Civ. Does anyone know if it was introduced as a patch?
Old June 2, 2002, 06:27   #148
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry - GW is in the original (my copy is 1.04 IIRC) manual - but yes it is one of the few hard wired game features - I don't remember if black faces were introduced by 2.42 - but they have the feel of a hack so I would not be surprised - Hey could this be an on topic post?

SG[1]
Old June 2, 2002, 17:22   #149
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm still a slug...
Old June 2, 2002, 19:00   #150
Straybow
Emperor

No, no, no, I mean the original Wonder of the World Civilization, not the glorious Renaissance WoW Civilization II (which never expires, and which many players prefer over the Industrial WoW Civilization III).

AFAIK black faces were always part of Civ2. In the Civ patch they may not have been black, but deep red. I can't check because Civ was never on the computer I own now. [eyes get misty with nostalgia *sniff, sniff*]