Old April 29, 2002, 07:49   #1
mslama
Settler

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Free buildings
Some wonders provide us with some free buildings in every city eg. Internet -> free Computer Center. In this case free means no building cost and no support
but the same effect as if it is built?

However even after I build Internet in list of available building to build there is still Computer Center available.

In mods there are some wonders which become obsolete. Does it mean that after wonder become obsolete it is worthwhile eventually to build that previously free building to get profit of it?

What if I already built some such buildings and now I perhaps acquire wonder from other civ. Is it good idea to
sell all now free building to save support cost?
Old April 29, 2002, 13:07   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
but the same effect as if it is built?
Yes.

Quote:
However even after I build Internet in list of available building to build there is still Computer Center available.
I think that both Cradle and MedMod fix this. The reason for this is that if you loose the wonder for whatever reason, you'll need the building again, so if you can predict the loss you can start building the buildings again before you loose the wonder. But this is rare situation, that's why the mods fix it.

Quote:
it mean that after wonder become obsolete it is worthwhile eventually to build that previously free building to get profit of it?
Yes, after the wonder is obsolete you will need to build the building again to get the profit. If this is worth the effort depends on your strategy and situation, I suppose. For me it usually is. Also, in the mods there are building prerequisites, meaning that you can't build a Bank unless you already have a Marketplace in that city (for example). So if you need Banks and you have the wonder which gave you a free Marketplace in every city (does such a wonder even exist? ) and it just obsoleted, you'll have to build Marketplaces first before you can build your Banks (and other buildings which have Bank and/or Marketplace as prerequisite).

Quote:
Is it good idea to sell all now free building to save support cost?
As I outlined above, there are certain advantages to having the building next to the wonder. If the wonder doesn't obsolete, it could be worth selling, otherwise this is a matter of personal preference, I guess. I usually don't sell such buildings myself but others might act differently.
Old April 29, 2002, 13:18   #3
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
When you get such a wonder and a given city did not already have the bonus building, is the building added to the list you see under the Inventory tab? I forget and I'm not where I can test this.
Old April 29, 2002, 13:28   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

No.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:54   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

But I think it in the end it works like the building would be added to the inventory tab, IIRC there was some discussion about a bug in one of the MedPack2 threads that the one gets obsolete but the effect was still there.

-Martin