Old April 29, 2002, 07:51   #1
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SAM Batteries and Coastal Fortresses?
Just what do these two things do...?!?

My bombers were happily bombing away at a city, although not actually hitting anything .... then my battleship bombarded it and destroyed the SAM site. I thought SAM sites were there to shoot down Bombers?!!??

Are SAM sites just a waste of time?
Old April 29, 2002, 09:00   #2
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hum i do not know
modern era is so quick that i do not have proper time to use them
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old April 29, 2002, 09:28   #3
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
I build sam sites so that I may someday get to see one work in a game. From looking at the flc they look like a really good animation.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 29, 2002, 09:31   #4
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
I build SAMS, but I be damned if they ever get used.

And as for Coastal Forts, I don't use the ones I build either, though my battleships have been bombarded by them when they strayed too close to the enemy's cities.

So I do know that coastal forts bombard enemy ships that stop within one square of the city (thus providing mediocre protection against naval bombardment). I'm guessing that they also improve the defensive capability of the city when marines launch an amphibious assault, but I'm not sure about that one.
Old April 29, 2002, 09:40   #5
LaRusso
King

does AI build more air power in 1.21?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:02   #6
hallumj
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
I was visited by about a dozen bombers when the AI Americans sneak attacked me yesterday noon. In the subsequent world war, I've seen bombers from Russia, US, China, and India bombing tiles of cities that I'm advancing on. It's not even resource denial. Sheesh.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:05   #7
LaRusso
King

ever had your bombing fleets massacred by combined AA fire?
Old April 29, 2002, 11:00   #8
=DrJambo=
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
You can set this yourself in the editor under the Civilisations tab... just flag air/naval or artillery under the preferred units to build section for each of the civilisations.

Works a treat.

So, SAMs are crap then! lol
Old April 29, 2002, 13:58   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
I have seen it once.

I was bombing Athens. 3rd or 4th Bomber in the run got shot down by the SAM site. A bit of a shock since I was positive I had already suppressed all of Alex's Interceptors.
Old April 30, 2002, 04:38   #10
LaRusso
King

uh huh
i had a meeting with german air force
a task force of two of my carriers had 50/50 combination of CAP interceptors and bombers and there were some pretty intensive battles off the coast of berlin. i replaced my losses instantly, while luftwaffe was also churning out bombers in huge numbers.
there was some really fine air battle to watch. unfortunately (or am i missing something), i cannot select more than one bomber per turn to bomb, and it seems to me that i have to reselect interceptors for CAP every turn anew. i might be wrong, however...

NYE, how do you suppress enemy interceptors? enough fighters on CAP close enough?
Old April 30, 2002, 04:49   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
You suppress enemy interceptors by boming with Fighters and Jet Fighters first to clear away the oppo Fighters available for interception. You lose some, they lose some. Then the Bombers go in, hopefully with no interceptors left.

You can bomb with everything off a Carrier. You just have to select them one by one. Right-click, pick the air unit.

Fighters on Carriers are supposed to retain the Air Superiority mission from turn to turn with 1.21. The problem before was that moving the Carrier made the Fighters go to sleep.
Old April 30, 2002, 05:19   #12
LaRusso
King

thanx, i was actually asking if i could select more than one bomber and then execute their successive bombings with one command
anyway, my invasion was repelled, and when my mech inf. army was on the way to establish another beachhead, i had to sue for peace before ww killed me. its hard fighting a war with no real powers on your side.
Old April 30, 2002, 07:06   #13
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
No its one bomber at a time and the fighters need new orders after they do anything.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.