Old April 29, 2002, 13:31   #1
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Most valuable resource?
After playing Civ III for the past few months, I have reached a conclusion. Iron is the MVR, most valuable resource. No iron, no swordsmen, no railroad, no chance. What do you all think?
Old April 29, 2002, 13:35   #2
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
Iron is a good choice.

Then rubber. No rubber, no infantry, no tanks.

And oil. No oil, no tanks, no airplanes, no modern ships.
Old April 29, 2002, 14:32   #3
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:46
Without iron there's no railroad so theres no boom in production/food. In my games, its the only "must have".
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 29, 2002, 14:38   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Ha!
Has anyone gone without railroads lately? I think coal also belongs on this most-wanted list, though my 1st inclination was rubber.

Bottom line -- does anyone (in a half-way successful game) ever go without anything?

JB
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 29, 2002, 15:01   #5
kcbob
King

Maybe I should clarify... If I don't have iron within reach of my civilization, I'm sunk. Sure, you can trade for all resources but if I have to trade for iron, I'd just as soon restart the game.
Old April 29, 2002, 16:12   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:46
Coal and Iron allow for an early lead in the game, so one can win other resourses.
Old April 29, 2002, 16:17   #7
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Grrr´s right, Iron and Coal gives an edge visavi the other civs. So I would have to say that these are the most important resources.
Old April 29, 2002, 16:19   #8
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by kcbob
Maybe I should clarify... If I don't have iron within reach of my civilization, I'm sunk. Sure, you can trade for all resources but if I have to trade for iron, I'd just as soon restart the game.
If there´s iron near your border on enemy territory, there´s always the ´ole sneak attack-option available
Old April 29, 2002, 16:24   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Iron is incredibly important for my style...although the AI seems to value uranium pretty highly; the americans offered me 110 gold/turn for some on my last game.
Old April 29, 2002, 16:55   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Iron isn't really important in the early going, but I want it by the time I've hit the middle ages. Obviously, it's huge once you have Steam Power, along with Coal.

My intial gut reaction, though, was rubber. No rubber = no infantry & no tanks. You can still at least have infantry w/o oil, though that's a tough situation also.

Upon further reflection, the most painful for me would be a lack of horses. Of course, this just about never happens, so I didn't think of it at first... but I would hate to be deprived of horsemen/knights/cavalry. OUCH.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 29, 2002, 20:59   #11
Aeson
Emperor

From my perspective it is Horses. If I have Horses it won't matter where future resources are, I'll have them all.

From the AI's perspective it is Iron and Rubber. I try to keep them from getting their hands on these two. They are the only 2 things that can slow down the Horsemen/Knights/Cavalry rush.
Old April 29, 2002, 21:35   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

i agree with the previous two that horses are the most important to me. I usually play as the iriquois and thus, no horses = no mw's=more difficult ancient age. I like to get a quick jump sometimes, and they last for a long time. Not to mention no knights no cav's. Thats a long time to tanks to be slugging it out on foot.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:23   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:46
There's that popular (and sometimes absolutely necessary) tactic of expanding/attacking aggressively early on. Without iron there's none of that, and you can't get your needed advantage until much later.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 30, 2002, 00:50   #14
nationalist
Warlord

Either Iron or rubber. If you don't have iron you miss out on the most potent Ancient and Medieval Units. Without rubber you lose Infantry and Tanks.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 30, 2002, 10:29   #15
Heartsurgeon
Settler

Local Time: 23:46
Depends on what civ you play as. If you're the Iroquois, then horses are by far the most important resource; if you have those then you can build your UU and conquer everything around you in the ancient ages. If you're the Persians, iron is critical for exactly the same reason.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:10   #16
Rotten999
Warlord

How about luxury resources? Usually not, I suppose, but if you start with none, it's very annoying.

Iron is big through Industrial...then, take your pick. Rubber?
Old April 30, 2002, 11:12   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I'd say horses too. If I don't see horses in a reasonable distance of my cities as soon as I discover The Wheel, I usually start a new game. Horses are faithful, they never deplete (same with rubber). I don't really care about own iron (but I like to prevent the AI to get some). I don't need it till chivalry, and by this time, my horsemen conquered at least 3 iron deposits. Swordsmen are nice toys, but far too slow for me. After this, pretty much every resource is a must-have. Saltpeter for cavalry, coal for railroads, rubber for infantry and tanks, oil for tanks and a modern navy, aluminium and uranium for modern weapons and spaceship parts.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:26   #18
kcbob
King

Tangent room, table for eight, please.

Maybe I should rething horsemen. Are they really that valuable? If so, why haven't I been using them?

Sorry for the tangent, but hey, it's my thread, n'est-ce pas?
Old April 30, 2002, 12:31   #19
dunk
Prince

Horsemen are valued because of their retreat ability and the fact that they can move up to 6 tiles in one turn (with roads of course). The retreat increases their survivability and their range is double that of swordsmen or archers. Since they are the same cost as swordsmen, it is a question of preference, and many people here prefer the horsemen. Swordsmen are more likely to win a combat, but overall, less horsemen wind up dead after the same battle.

I beleive there was a thread about Swordsmen vs Horsemen or somesuch in the "Strategy" forum.
Old April 30, 2002, 16:43   #20
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
From my perspective it is Horses. If I have Horses it won't matter where future resources are, I'll have them all.
That's exactly how I feel. With horsemen, I could quickly get iron since I need iron to upgrade my horsemen to knights.
Old April 30, 2002, 16:57   #21
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 15:46
Iron is a good choice. With Iron a player can usually conquer any other resource. Without Iron a player may have a hard time. Horses are ok, but not enough against Hoplites, Legionaires or Pikemen. Iron also is needed for Knights for the first war on Large maps.

What I was thinking is the an early Cow is the best. I'll take an early cow icon on grass over most anything else. Cows give a huge production and population boost, more so than other starting resources. Wheat on Flood plains is good too, but that is really two, not one.
Old April 30, 2002, 17:23   #22
kmill25
Chieftain

Horses, then Iron, then Coal. Usually if I have the first two I can "acquire" the rest
Old April 30, 2002, 17:51   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

kcbob,

I'm all about the horseman rush. I've developed a very specific strategy dedicated to it. Basically, I use Japan (start with wheel), build a bunch of vet chariots, save up gold while avoiding the discovery of horseback riding, and then *poof* upgrade them all to horsemen when I'm ready. All of a sudden I have 20 horsemen or so to throw at the AI. I usually try to bring along some swordsmen, but can easily do without them.

Horsemen vs. Swordsmen is all about survivability speed, and upgradeability. Since the RNG often gives wacky results, I'd rather have horsies that can retreat. I tried a pure swordsmen rush once, and took horrible casualties (I recall losing 6 swordsmen in a row to a spearman in a size6 city on grassland, not crossing a river).

Horsemen become Knights (or equivalent UU) which become Cavalry (or equivalent). Swordsmen are a dead end. Useful here and there, but I'd rather put the bulk of my resources into something with a long upgrade path.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:59   #24
kcbob
King

I hadn't thought about the upgrade of horsemen into knights/cavalry. I might have to give that a try in my next new game.
Old May 1, 2002, 09:04   #25
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

It has got to be horses. Like others have said, with horses you can get the other resources, especially since I am also an Iroquois nut and mounted ponies rule

R:PM
Old May 1, 2002, 16:42   #26
dunk
Prince

With horses, you're not going to get rubber or oil. You'll get iron, but not the later resources.

It's important to get oil and rubber in your territory. I am, of course, assuming that most players don't advance light-years beyond the AI in tech.

Cavalry vs infantry... a mess of dead horses and guys with sabers.
Old May 1, 2002, 16:43   #27
dunk
Prince

Unless of course, you plan on conquering the world with horsemen and knights.
Old May 1, 2002, 16:46   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
I think it's indisputably Iron, and a second choice for me would be oil.

I can go a whole game sans horses.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:08   #29
Apolex
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
Iron is incredibly important for my style...although the AI seems to value uranium pretty highly; the americans offered me 110 gold/turn for some on my last game.
Why would you ever trade uranium to the trigger happy AI? I guess you can use the 110/turn to clean up after armageddon.

-Apolex
Old May 1, 2002, 18:49   #30
Moonsinger
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
Why would you ever trade uranium to the trigger happy AI? I guess you can use the 110/turn to clean up after armageddon.
LOL! Very funny.