Old April 29, 2002, 19:10   #1
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Most Useful Advisor
In Civ III, there there are many questions to be asked. What is the deal with the advisors? Are they of any use? Which one is the most useful?

And I ask the latter question.

Personally, I'd have to say that the military advisor is the one I find most useful. Especially when I have successfully planted a spy with the enemy civs. Plus he can tell me how my military measures up when compared with an enemy. When I am about to annex another civ's lands, I need to know whether I don't stand a chance, stand an even chance (in both cases I then decide to build up military) or if I'll mop the floor with them.

EDIT: Damn. I forgot to check "Yes post a poll"!
Old April 29, 2002, 19:12   #2
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 00:47
I concur. The military advisor is the most useful for most of the time. If nothing else, I can use him for easy view of the other civ's governments. The foreign advisor can occasionally be useful to fine-tune trade deals, but thats about it.
Old April 29, 2002, 20:31   #3
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 19:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I like to set long queues in the Sci advisor.
Old April 29, 2002, 20:46   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Military advisor. After that, possibly the foreign advisor.
Old April 29, 2002, 20:53   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:47
Foreign advisor (helps me with deals), and military (tells me how strong my army is).

All other advisors look useless. Thay tell you what you already know, complain because you don't give everything to them, etc.
Old April 29, 2002, 22:01   #6
loleod
Settler

Local Time: 18:47
I actually kind of find the foreign advisor useful since he lets me know how far I can push the other civ. I dont have a clue how much their coal is worth , but this guy lets me know so I dont piss off the other civ with a bad deal.

I think they all need working on. They dont say much. I have heard this many times on this board , but the culture advisor sucks! All she says is I need to build more librarys , more universitys, more more more. I wish she would calm down and just tell me important things like where she thinks I should build up my cuture , and in fact what cities are in danger of getting flipped. Wouldnt that be cool.

The science advisor , well all he does is complain too. I mean seriously all he says is he needs more money, maybe he should tell me what the other civs already have for techs , and what his opinion is.

The Domestic advisor doesnt do much good either , Im not sure how to make that one better.
Old April 29, 2002, 22:14   #7
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Originally posted by loleod
I actually kind of find the foreign advisor useful since he lets me know how far I can push the other civ. I dont have a clue how much their coal is worth , but this guy lets me know so I dont piss off the other civ with a bad deal.
Yep, foreign advisor is somewhat useful. But the way he's always right makes me feel like I'm trading with him instead of the other civ. Can't he at least have a 20% margin of error?

Quote:
I think they all need working on. They dont say much. I have heard this many times on this board , but the culture advisor sucks! All she says is I need to build more librarys , more universitys, more more more. I wish she would calm down and just tell me important things like where she thinks I should build up my cuture , and in fact what cities are in danger of getting flipped. Wouldnt that be cool.
Indeed. I'd like to know if a city culture-flips BEFORE the military advisor has to report with the news that the people have overthrown my governor there.

Quote:
The science advisor , well all he does is complain too. I mean seriously all he says is he needs more money, maybe he should tell me what the other civs already have for techs , and what his opinion is.
Absolutely. But the science advisor does have some use. He can be used to plan out your research strategy, what tech you want to work for, and the like. And it is ridiculous that he demands more funding constantly, even when you set science to 100%

Quote:
The Domestic advisor doesnt do much good either , Im not sure how to make that one better.
They can start by stopping her from asking you if you want to switch to aqueduct/hospital every time a city tries and fails to grow beyond size 6 or size 12. Damn that's annoying. However, the way she is able to judge how much it will cost to hurry projects is valuable to your strategy if you do decide to rush things.

I'd say the only one that doesn't need too much improvement is, again the military advisor. I don't see any way they can improve on him.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:11   #8
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:47
Military. Worst: Domestic Nag.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:17   #9
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 18:47
Foreign Advisor
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 30, 2002, 02:03   #10
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:47
Actually, the advisors in Civ II were of more use, because their advise was often somewhat sane, if not always totally correct. And they were much, much funnier indeed! I really miss them...
Old April 30, 2002, 03:04   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:47
The that comes up with the plan to bump off the Domestic Nag.
Old April 30, 2002, 04:18   #12
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:47
A coup would be nice there
Old April 30, 2002, 09:16   #13
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 19:47
The military advisor is good. There's a lot of information there.

The Science advisor is good too. I like that we can set up research queues now.

The domestic advisor has useful information, but is annoying when she tells me that I need to build aqueducts and hospitals.

The trade advisor should be more useful. It would be very nice if all your trade agreements were detailed there.

The foreign advisor could also be a lot better. I remember the helpful screen that came up in Civ II from the foreign advisor. Much more information. Right now, we have no knowledge of how far ahead or behind in tech the AI is.

The culture advisor is probably the least useful. "We should build temples to watch the people flock to us." Thanks.