Old April 29, 2002, 21:55   #1
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Does this forum bring out the nasty side of you???
I just noticed that when I come here, I tend to get a little upset and am tempted to post a nasty message or two (see thread about "worthy" civs).

It also brings out the argumentative and complaintive side of me. I don't do that on other discussion forums.

I'm wondering if this is because:

a. My being upset with the way Civ3 turned out.

b. Civilization is a domineering, nasty kind of game.

c. Internet forums just spill it all out.

What do you think??? Just wondering...
Old April 29, 2002, 22:20   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
On the Internet, communication is obviously different to talking in person or over the phone. Since there's nothing for the receiver to receive except text, body language, tone of voice, etc. are no longer an issue. Because people can remain anonymous, and don't have to reveal body language and tone, they can at times be more blunt than they usually are. Some people do take offense to this bluntness.

So I'd have to say option c mostly. But its not like the other two aren't factors as well. But if you're upset about a game, its important to note that there may be people who aren't upset about it, and are trying to have civil discussions about various aspects of the game. They don't appreciate it when a whiner hijacks the thread to complain about a related problem with the game. I know I don't.
Old April 29, 2002, 22:46   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Well, I dont know about that Azreal, but can tell you this. The folks who called themselves desgining Civ3 didn't even have the professionalism to pretend to redesign the city improvements. Same old thing. Gag me. Even worse they created a new concept, culture, that just screamed for custom city improvements. This was just a wonderful opportunity for creating new and distinct building strategies, but NNNOOO.......

I think they just flat goofed off instead of working is what I think.

Not that I would hihack a thread to complain ....I mean, I am not nasty.
Old April 29, 2002, 23:17   #4
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Not that I would hihack a thread to complain ....I mean, I am not nasty.

Of course you wouldn't...

Old April 29, 2002, 23:50   #5
nationalist
Warlord

OT DEFINATELY brings out my angry side... so many leftists... urge to kill rising...
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 29, 2002, 23:55   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:49
It does and it also brings out my good side. Ever the pesimistic optimist
Old April 30, 2002, 00:00   #7
nato
Prince

My belief is that forums are places people come to disagree.

A long time ago I heard a Monty Python comedy skit (ohh can't believe I admitted that) , about a man who went to a place to pay somebody to argue with him. If you have heard that skit ... that is what I think forums are sometimes.

I think this happens in forums because people tend to respond to posts they disagree with, but feel less compelled to respond to posts they agree with. For a post they agree with, what they thought was already said! Hence, to posts people agree with, all they can say is usually "me too!". But to posts they disagree with, they have a lot to type.

Also, there is no way to convey tone in type. I know for sure I have interpreted posts the worst way possible at times, when maybe they weren't meant so bad. For this, smilies are a must to convey tone!
Old April 30, 2002, 00:24   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:49
Ditto nato.

I feel compelled to reply sometimes when I perceive something as unfair or hateful. That's my flaw (?). Unfortunately, I can get quite combative about it.

OTOH. I have a blast sometimes with some threads (or sites). In others I learn a little or a lot, and sometimes I try to help other people in discovering things too.

All in all, it's a mixed bag.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:39   #9
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:49
Nato, the thing is at apolyton, if I do a post saying
Quote:
I agree
then I'll be banned for spamming.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:48   #10
nato
Prince

Basically I am saying there is no point to posting "me too!", so many posts are only disagreements. This is true for all forums I think, without banning as a consideration.

Not a big deal, just a tendancy I think. The more substantive information people have to share, the less a problem it probably is.
Old April 30, 2002, 01:11   #11
siredgar
Prince

Well, I'm not this unpleasant when I visit my fish forum. =)

I should have probably put up a poll since this will just spark more bickering than give any answers to my question.
Old April 30, 2002, 01:22   #12
nato
Prince

Yeah, but fish are so much easier to get along with.

Oh ho ho ho, I'm on a roll tonight ... much more of this and I'LL be getting banned!

Maybe that is a selection problem ... maybe people who like fish are calmer or more mature than computer gamers.

Besides, Civ has conditioned us to fight!

Also, I think having more info to talk about is a factor. I bet general and OT have more fighting than strategies and mods (right now I only hang out in general, so I wouldn't know).
Old April 30, 2002, 01:59   #13
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:49
Actually, I didn´t think Civ III was that bad even in the first place. But then I came here and found so many ppl that was disappointed over the game, and I read about many minor things and stupid details I hadn´t even thought about before. And after a while, I was also into this whining choir about how bad the game was, even though I didn´t think so from the beginning. So I guess you´ll have a lot of influence writing here. AMOF, most of these post are just noncense...
Old April 30, 2002, 08:08   #14
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:49
Generally, on this type of forum there are no rules for discussion. That means people can disagree and never have to compromise, or even listen to other people's points of view. This is different than a face-to-face conference, where standard rules of behavior and resolution are used.

The best tip I can give is to try and stay rigorously on topic (not always easy, I know).

Last edited by Zachriel; April 30, 2002 at 09:56.
Old April 30, 2002, 08:19   #15
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:49
I understand that people get influenced by what they read in these forums. You like the game, but then you come here and read about all this whining and dissatisfaction, and then you start to consider things differently; it is not like the forums have changed your opinion about the game, it is more a case of self-confidence: you don't want to be the only "moron" that likes a flawed game.

But to me that is simply lack of a formed opinion. And when we are talking about games, our opinion have to be based essentially on the fun factor. Is the game fun to you? If it is, then no matter what other people say, you tend to view it as a matter of taste. If it is not, you then join the whiners choir.

Sometimes, forums like these help us to understand WHY we don't like the game. It is not fun for you, but you don't know exactly why. When you come here and discuss about the things you think are not good enough to generate fun, then you receive a sort of feedback that points you sometimes on the direction you could not see before; it is then that you think: "that's it! That is why I don't like this game!".

Of course, when you discover that, you tend to "spread the word of it" throughout all forums and threads, you want to evangelize people, show them the light and the truth that will guide us to salvation. But that tells us more about human nature than about the game, I fear...

Edit: trying to minimize my spelling and gramatical errors.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:10   #16
dunk
Prince

Me too!
Old April 30, 2002, 09:10   #17
problem_child
Warlord

Local Time: 23:49
I think the forum does bring out a nasty streak in me, in other forums things are often friendlier, but here everybodies such a wise-alec smart-ass know-it-all and they all have their "OpINiONz" that they have to write big F*k-off bodies of text about- and many of em appear to have had a humour-removal operation.... and as for the Politics! >shudder<

But then maybe thats just the type of person that is attracted to turn based stratergy games, and seeing how I have three such titles myself- which I enjoy playing... perhaps I will shuttup now.

-I.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:11   #18
dunk
Prince

I only get grouchy when people say that certain civs don't belong in the game. That's my pet-civ-peve.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:35   #19
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Re: Does this forum bring out the nasty side of you???
I'm much nastier in person than on these forums. Aside from sarcastic remarks there's not much you can do to someone (whos obviously an idiot ) that's on the other side of the world. As a result I'm attending anger management and learning to put up with comments here that I wouldnt normally receive.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:57   #20
ACooper
Prince

Sometimes I think we are all a little f-ed in the head. But besides that I have noticed that if you get in a discussion (non-flame) that people will generally respect (but not agree with) your point. Those who have the biggest problems are those who post outrageous things and never get into a dialouge about them or those who repeat the same thing over and over.

Nah, we're all f-ed in the head.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:42   #21
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
I only get grouchy when people say that certain civs don't belong in the game. That's my pet-civ-peve.
Oh I agree!
Any civ that is at least 250 years old has a right to a place in Civ. ops:

SG[1]
Old April 30, 2002, 11:57   #22
siredgar
Prince

Re: Re: Does this forum bring out the nasty side of you???
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I'm much nastier in person than on these forums. Aside from sarcastic remarks there's not much you can do to someone (whos obviously an idiot ) that's on the other side of the world. As a result I'm attending anger management and learning to put up with comments here that I wouldnt normally receive.
LOL, I've noticed that, Spence! J/K.
Old April 30, 2002, 12:01   #23
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Does this forum bring out the nasty side of you???
Yup!

See above, SG[1]
Old April 30, 2002, 12:30   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
Quote:
Originally posted by nato

Also, there is no way to convey tone in type. I know for sure I have interpreted posts the worst way possible at times, when maybe they weren't meant so bad. For this, smilies are a must to convey tone!
Smilies are for girly-men, you miserable maggot.
Old April 30, 2002, 12:30   #25
Primus40
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I'm much nastier in person than on these forums.
As someone who just recently received your help (in a timely and supportive manner) and has read some of your other comments/replies... I dunno, but I think your a pretty stand-up guy.

Now, as for the topic: IMHO... if you allow someone to frustrate you to the point that you can't make calm, intelligent and rational argument, then that person has already won! If we spent the same amount of concern to detail and strategy on our words that we do on our games, more points might be made more concisely and with fewer rebuttals.

But then again, I've been hiding in this cave for 40 years and this is my only real contact with the outside world... so what do I know?
Old April 30, 2002, 13:45   #26
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
Now this is in Apolyton/Community, it loses all meaning. Apolyton in general is quite pleasant, and only in a few OT threads have I felt the need to be nasty.
Old April 30, 2002, 15:05   #27
nato
Prince

Quote:
Smilies are for girly-men, you miserable maggot.
That is exactly what I used to think. I hated smilies. I thought they were tacky and like you said, kind of girlish. Like dotting your "i" with a little heart or something. I never used them.

But then I realized they serve a real purpose. Like they say that your actual words are only a small part of the message, and people get more from your tone and even your body language than the words themselves.

Smilies are a way to convey tone in an all type message. That serves a valuable and real purpose.

However I understand ... I can see how it might be hard for a hulking manly REAL MAN to use them. I still don't like to myself. Just remember it makes your communication weaker.

I'm guessing the miserable maggot thing is a joke given the context of the thread ... ha ha ha
Old April 30, 2002, 15:14   #28
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Hey, IW - I absolutely love your "Wasted Life" particularly the 'W'

SG[1]
Old April 30, 2002, 15:33   #29
devilmunchkin
Warlord

oh definitely.
it's often hard to read tone on the internet..so being the pessimist i am, i tend to read statements as harsher than they were probably intended. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems some people are only here TO troll..but i might be over-reacting.
and then when it comes to global politics..or politics of anykind, many tend to be intensely patriotic toward their own nation or area. when some of that patriotism conflicts, things can get pretty harry.
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old April 30, 2002, 15:52   #30
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
Quote:
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
so being the pessimist i am, i tend to read statements as harsher than they were probably intended. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems some people are only here TO troll..but i might be over-reacting.
"might be"??