Old May 1, 2002, 00:09   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Rise of the French Empire
In the early ancient era, after French settlers and migrants split into several directions, there was no single, French state. The early city-states were separated by dense jungle, with one group of cities on the west coast, and the other group on the east coast.

To their north, across a channel, were the rising Greeks. To the south, on the same continent, were the English and to the far southeast, the German tribes.

Over the centuries, the French city-states united into one nation, with an improved road network, and an improved government through a stronger monarchy that would later evolve peacefully, into a powerful republic.

Early in her explorations and consolidation of her southern frontier, France went to war with the English, and razed three of her smaller cities to the ground. England would take centuries to recover, and lost one of the routes for her own expansion.

To the southeast, was the much more powerful German nation in the ancient and middle ages. Fortunately for France, Germany was far enough away that there was a vast frontier between them, which gave France time to develop her military power and economy over the centuries.

To the north, the Greeks created one of the more powerful nations -- more powerful than France. However, the two nations have maintained a relatively friendly relationship after a brief conflict, in which France prevented Greece from colonizing her northern territory.

Centuries have passed, and France is now in the modern age, with the other nations. However, France is a third-rate power when it comes to conducting an offensive war. Yet, her internal defense on the continent is first-rate. She is in a midst of mobilization in a war with India, in which France has succeeded in conquering one important city. This is the beginning of France's ambitious plans to create an overseas empire . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old May 1, 2002, 01:34   #2
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
that transition was a bit quick, but otherwise, I'm intrigued
Old May 1, 2002, 10:31   #3
MrFun
Emperor

As the modern era matures, Germany threatened France for a technological advance, but France refused, and Germany, with a more powerful offensive force, declared war on France.

But there's a couple of complications on this continent. Greece, Egypt, Rome, and Japan have all secured small towns and have colonized what used to be the northern frontier of Germany.

Instead of directly attacking France's SE border by passing through the Roman colonies, Germany passes through the weak English nation, and attacks the central south border of France.

With France's internal defense, she was able to mobilize mass cavalry to counter-attack Germany's cavalry before Germany could strike first at the south central border. But this successful defense exhausted France's internal defense --- she was not as secure as she thought she was.

After Germany lost nearly all of her offensive forces, she later sued for peace, and France avoided losing any city or cities. France would use this peace time to create a stronger defense system.

Meanwhile, due to this unexpected war with Germany that ended in a tense peace, France has put on hold her overseas ambitions, holding onto only one Indian city that she conquered. Yet, this one city is strategically important, as well as providing a third supply source of iron should she exhaust her native supply of iron.

But what will Germany do next?? Whatever happens next, France is determined to be more prepared than ever before.
Old May 1, 2002, 12:02   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:52
where's that link??
Ah, here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=41965

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 1, 2002, 12:53   #5
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 19:52
Well written. Almost sounds like a history class lecture.
Old May 1, 2002, 16:34   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

too well written...too boring...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 1, 2002, 16:36   #7
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
too well written...too boring...
That's not what i call criticism. I'd almost call that insulting.
Old May 1, 2002, 18:12   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

I'm going to have to agree with Richelieu this time, Civman, you are going way to hard on him, the story is interesting, just lacking characters, instead of calling it boring, you should have asked for character development, or characters period, but it is an excellent military account, that I think is really good, I nominate it for the story contest
Old May 2, 2002, 00:38   #9
MrFun
Emperor

Thanks for the constructive criticism, as well as the praise. But I give no thanks to Civman2000.

Anyway ----

France has decided to increase its infantry forces by double its current size, as part of its internal defense while the latter phase of the industrial revolution is still churning ahead at full speed for France.

Germany is now at war with China, with China to the east, across an ocean. But, China has one colony to the north of Germany's territory on the continent that France and Germany are on, along with England.

France's traditional republic that has existed for centuries, with some past reforms, was violently overthrown and a democracy was established. At first, this democracy was unstable, with disorder in several regions but then new leaders restored stability.

For now, France is at peace, but has plans to declare war against Greece, to the north, across their shared water channel. France wants to secure extra coal resources to alleviate any potential exhaustion of her native coal resources. And Greece has one coastal region that has two prominent coal deposits.
Old May 2, 2002, 03:03   #10
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Make a treaty with China and take over Germany quickly while you've got the chance, it'd rule big time!
Old May 6, 2002, 14:38   #11
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Great story I like how you tell it from a nutral point of vue. maybe you could develop some strong characters like a general or something
Old May 12, 2002, 09:56   #12
civman2000
Emperor

story contest bump

Old May 16, 2002, 18:37   #13
civman2000
Emperor

bump again