Old May 1, 2002, 01:34   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do you setup your game?
I have been playing with every last setting on random with either a large or huge map using max number of nations on Regent level. I find it creates extremely different games and my maps have been night and day different in every way. Its exciting to see everything blacked out and not finding out to way later what the map mostly consists of. Maybe lots of water and islands, huge continents, tons of mountains or whatever. However I do find it makes the game more difficult doing this because you go into it more blind folded to say.
Old May 1, 2002, 05:29   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Standard size (large/huge games get too slow later on), Continents, Normal climate, Warm temperature, 5 Billion yr old earth. Max. number of civs, alternate between difficulty levels.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:37   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:52
Standard size. Enjoyed playing on Huge with 16 civs, but sorry, I haven't got a kick-ass processor of 1.4 GHz, so standard.

Roaming Barbarians. All other things I set to Random and then, really, my games are different slightly. Anotehr thing I like is not knowing whether I'm on island or a continent before I explore.

Rules: culturally linked locations off, all others on.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:40   #4
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 23:52
ok - Solver, I have a 750MHz processor and I play Huge maps no problem - I just turn off "Show our automatic moves" in Preferences, that way it isn't bogged down by showing all the automated workers. I also find that the turn change (when the AI does it's thinking) isn't that long either. I always play on Huge maps with 16 civs.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 1, 2002, 07:59   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

OK, I have a two year old 500 MHz processor, know it's time for a change of it, but haven't done just yet. And by the end of the Middle Ages the speed started to really annoy me, especially the moment after AI has moved, but I didn't still get control... must have been some in-game things processed.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:31   #6
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
My 4 year old 350mHz processor definitely has trouble coping with huge maps and 16 civs.

Maybe when I get a new job, and more money, I'll buy myself a state-of-the art way ahead of industrial standard computer. Then I might enjoy huge maps.
Old May 2, 2002, 03:57   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:52
I struggled 4 months on my old PII/350. The only try I gave Marla's map turned in a disaster with 30-45 minutes per turn in the industrial age. Same with attempts on huge maps. Now I made it my DSL router, set up a new computer and started to enjoy huge maps again.

My favorite settings: Huge, 16 civs, continents, 70%, normal, normal, 4 billion years.
Old May 2, 2002, 06:42   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:52
standard, monarch, 12 civs, everything random (still thinking about switching UN and spaceship off), AI to AI 115, tech rate 280
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 2, 2002, 15:47   #9
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
standard map, warm, wet (huh huh), 4 billion years, roaming barbs, 5 other civs.... and... warlord level. i'm so ashamed. i tried regent a couple times, but got beaten badly. i used to play SMAC on the second-to-highest difficulty, so i don't know what my problem is. going to regent after i beat my current game. i still gotta get used to the game! i also intend to try a larger map.
Old May 2, 2002, 16:49   #10
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I struggled 4 months on my old PII/350. The only try I gave Marla's map turned in a disaster with 30-45 minutes per turn in the industrial age. Same with attempts on huge maps.
I'm not alone !! It's exactly the same with my poor Celeron 300 MHz. I thought I should change this; I am now sure I must change it.
Whatelse, I usually play with all random.
Old May 2, 2002, 16:55   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yeah, all us poor guys with old comps, have one Hell of a time on anything bigger than standard, esp. when I've got 100+ auto slaves running around after pollution.
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 2, 2002, 19:21   #12
zulu9812
King

again, if it's the automated workers that are pissing you off, you can turn that feature off in preferences...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 2, 2002, 19:45   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:52
More RAM definitely helps.

My preferred settings: standard maps, 8 civs, everything random, all victory conditions, varied difficulty levels.

Occasionally I enjoy some large or huge maps games, but never with more than 8 civs (it bothers me to change them in the foreign advisor).
Old May 2, 2002, 20:55   #14
watorrey
Warlord

Local Time: 18:52
Large random map; 7 random opponents; culturally linked off; raging barbs; random civ usually; monarch level

PII-300, 224 RAM... i turn off animations as the game progresses but never turn off enemy animations or battles.

I figure, especially during wars, that if i am spending up to 2 hrs taking my turn there is no reason to complain about the AI taking several minutes. There are too many other frustrating things in the game.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:23   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
watorrey, you have the patience of a saint.

P-3 500, 256 RAM.

I've turned all animations off except my own units.

I actually keep a book or magazine next to me for the delays.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 3, 2002, 04:33   #16
LaRusso
King

1600 athlon 256 MB really helps those 11 AI civs blitz through their commands . you are allowed to hate me for a moment
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 3, 2002, 08:12   #17
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
1600 athlon 256 MB really helps those 11 AI civs blitz through their commands . you are allowed to hate me for a moment
I think I'm still hating you...

Old May 3, 2002, 08:14   #18
LaRusso
King

well you can watch casa dos artistas instead
Old May 3, 2002, 08:56   #19
Stuie
King

Re: How do you setup your game?
Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceBimz
I have been playing with every last setting on random with either a large or huge map using max number of nations on Regent level.
I've been using the same setup, usually on a large map. However, I did modify the large map so that it is 150x150, 16 civs, and tech progress is slower.

Also, I always play with what I'm given. I do not restart games because of a poor starting location. Adds to the fun in my opinion.

Ooh, I just remembered. I play with Barbarians on "Raging", not random.

Last edited by Stuie; May 3, 2002 at 09:18.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:51   #20
Solver
lifer
Deity

I played once on a Huge map, and I could write an essay between the turns.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:17   #21
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I play as Babylon on the huge map max water with 11 civs and raging barbarians. Can't stand zulu or aztecs.

The barbarian thing is because they hurt the rival civs more than Babylon's bowmen. So, raging barbs give me an edge if I avoid warriors and start with speamen directly and only cause a slightly guilty conscience.

The max water is to keep the civs apart for awhile so they can't trade techs so fast. I turned off the spaceship victory for awhile. But the AI does not rush for modern armour and is pretty easy to kill them at that transition if you've survived that long.

I've never experienced the problems with speed that are bothering some. Do you think that there is a trade off between speed of the game and amount of land on your map, favoring those who use the max water setting?
Old May 3, 2002, 13:32   #22
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:52
These days I play Tiny or Small world and random settings. Large worlds gives the AI an advantage as the various civs seem to gang up on you.

As for machine, I tried my old 300 mhz for one game and then convinced my wife we needed a new 1.7 ghz machine for record keeping purposes for her piano teaching business. Sssssshhhhh!!! Please, don't anyone rat on me.
Old May 3, 2002, 20:05   #23
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
well you can watch casa dos artistas instead
Ugh! Just to see Feiticeira pumped up on steroids?

Back on topic, I don't remember playing a game on a huge map... just large ones. Umm... I never played on tiny maps too... I'll have to try these maps.

And I will definitely reduce espionage costs. Definitely.