Old May 5, 2002, 07:50   #31
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey! How about when I conquered an enemy capital and saw the Civ split into two warring factions for the first time ever! I NEVER even saw that documented and it got me really worried for the rest of the week (I was only 11!).

Now THERE's a memory.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 09:38   #32
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:53
Heh, must have been fun .

Those were the days .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 09:43   #33
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Isn't that line a sign of encroaching age?

Does all this reminiscing mean we are jaded, long in the tooth and over the gaming hill? Will we soon be complaining about the youth of today and their punk games like EU2 and fads like the PS2?!?!?

Noooooooo......

Old May 5, 2002, 10:55   #34
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
I think you will love this.
Here is the Earth Map of Civ I.

It is uncomplete because my scanner has also limited dimensions, but you will love this piece of image.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapaciv1sm.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	14657  
Kramsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2002, 16:17   #35
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeje2
The good old days...

Well as anyone can guess this isn't he first, noe propably the last, time a thread with memories about civ is started.

I would now like to point to one old thread started by Yin26 almost two years ago in the Civ3-General forum. (Now in archive already )

Check out the thread titleled Your First Civ Memory (Stories to Warm Our Hearts)

But, do keep on telling about your memories. It's jewels like this that makes the day a little bit better...
Ah yes, I remember that thread, I'm on page 1 of it... near the bottom

It was one of my first 30-100 posts on the board
Old May 5, 2002, 16:20   #36
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Isn't that line a sign of encroaching age?

Does all this reminiscing mean we are jaded, long in the tooth and over the gaming hill? Will we soon be complaining about the youth of today and their punk games like EU2 and fads like the PS2?!?!?

Noooooooo......

...I already complain about the PS2
Although, I agree that EU2 is a very good game
Old May 5, 2002, 23:02   #37
Blisterz
Chieftain

This might sound sappy, but this thread is almost making me cry.
Alot of really memorable (and crazy) stuff was happening back around the time I got into Civ and this just got me thinkin' ok carry on.

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Blisterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2002, 13:05   #38
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 19:53
I first found this game on a lunch break when I was in 8th grade or so at the summer Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth (physics and history) in the university computer lab! Played for an hour, was instantly hooked.
And, my favorite memory was when I limited myself to living just on "Traditional" Europe as the french, so I had 5 cities or so, on Deity or whatever, and getting in a war with the Zulu, who controlled the rest of the Eastern Hemisphere sans Australia. It was my first really really REALLY scary war.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2002, 21:05   #39
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I was 7 if not 6 when I started playing civ
My first memory is of my brother who would have been 15 coming home really excited about this game he'd copied off his friend. Him me and our 2 sisters watched as it loaded and gazed in awe at the starting movie. I remember he played the English first and we played for several hours all telling him what to do and stuff. I just remember thinking that I wanted to be god too. I played after him as the Greeks. I always played with the greeks after that. Must be one of the best starting places. What I did was I went west capturing or se[ttling all of Europe then I'd just sit tight maybe getting the middle east and Russia. I'd build up till I was way ahead of everyone else in tech and then go in killing them with tanks and stuff
I remember teaching my sister to play too. Must have been about a year later. I'll never forgive her for sinking my trireme off the west coast of england She hasn't stopped playing civ1 even with me begging her to try civ2 or lately 3. She'd just play 3 civs on King. Her philosophy is that if you haven't won after an hour then it's not worth playing more. She'd just go kill the world with her chariots
I guess civ was what got me using computers. And Blender was what got me into gfx and Poly is what got me into Amateur game making
enough memories I've got to get up in 6 hours. I spent the last hour and a half reading through this forum
Old May 7, 2002, 15:02   #40
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I startet playing Civ1 as I was somewhere between 6-8, I have no clue when, and damn it took time for me to learn it...I guess it took me almost a month to learn that you couldn't change governments before you had invented some new ones

The most special game I played was when I cheated (got tons and tons of money). In the game I simply bought all wonders that existed, I got all techs before 1 AD...don't remember if I just killed the enemies, or if I just built the space ship
Old May 8, 2002, 08:58   #41
MariOne
King

It must have been around 83-84, I was at the uni, got my first home PC, an XT (8088) clone with 10Mb HD and 640Kb RAM, 12" green phosphors CGA monitor.

I dont' even recall *who* let me copy DOS-Civ amongst other old DOS games, IIRC it fitted onto 3 or 4 5"1/4 floppies.

I was immediately fascinated by the complexity of managing several interdependent aspects of an empire (if I get more minerals my bases grow slowlier, to get more commerce I have to frosake productionm and then I still have to decide how to allocate science, taxes and luxuries... eyes busted counting the advancement of those beakers icons!).
I distinctly recall I even started *dreaming* with Civ grid & icons...

At some point I resolved to wipe the game, pack the floppies and bring them to my dads' home asking him to keep them hidden and away from me, or I would not have finished my studies. Short later WinCiv came out (or were there a version 2 of DOS civ before? probably so) and it took me 10 more years to complete my university!
MariOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 08:59   #42
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

I actually got hookod on Civ 1 through my brother. He was just starting at university at that time and told me he got this amazing game. the stories he told about starting with just one settler (that word puzzled me a lot, I was eleven years old!).
When I visited my brother I played it for the first time. Damn it, my people were unhappy! So I decided to buid 'em a coloseum. Much to my surprise I eventually saw arising in my city the foot of a gigantic statue! Colossus looked pretty much like a coloseum to me!
The best parts of Civ 1 were the city views. I remember the building of granaries and barracks. Seeing the happy citizens in front of the cities. Looking how cars appear in the streets. Ah, sweet nostalgia!
Worst memory: The eternal rifleman next to my cities.
Dr. Stiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 10:14   #43
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
The thing that annoyed me the most (besides those eternal riflemen) were the "friendly" civs which attacked you for no reason at all.
I was usually very friendly but never got the "join us in our crusade" option from another civ.
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 23:37   #44
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 18:53
Everyone's going to think this is a little wierd, but I got started into civ about 5 years ago with civ2. I just yesterday found an old copy of winciv that a friend had, and I decided to see what the original civ was like! I fired it up, and I actually like it! It just has a nice basic fun to it that sometimes you forget about in the latest civ and other games. Anyway, don't want to spoil the ambience of the thread, just wanted to throw in my own very short experience with civ1!
Rhuarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2002, 09:48   #45
Jac de Molay
Prince

There was some cute touches in the first Civ that were left out of later versions, like the goofy faces of the world leaders that smile or frown...

Now if I could just find a copy for the 1989 Macintosh I fished out of a dumpster.....

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Jac de Molay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2002, 17:05   #46
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:53
Ahhh, many hours of my youth lost forever because of Sid Meier.
Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2002, 17:21   #47
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

same here
Ecthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 15:53   #48
Jac de Molay
Prince

ah well, at least old Sid tried to incorporate SOME educational value into the game. So all is not lost.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:57   #49
Ecthy
Emperor

yep, it actually did a lot for my education, if only indirectly though
Old May 14, 2002, 02:31   #50
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

This game caused me to learn all the countries, capitals populations etc for the world and sparked off a serious interest in ancient history that continues today. I also went mad and found out when all the technologies were "discovered" in real history, as well as when all the Wonders, units and improvements were built for the first time and dedicated months to doing all of it earlier than in real life. And I still have all the lists.

Beat THAT, fellow Civmaniacs.

Old May 14, 2002, 03:57   #51
aaglo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
ah well, at least old Sid tried to incorporate SOME educational value into the game. So all is not lost.
Education I got from Civ1:
1) Many of the civilizations started on 4000 Bc.
2) Finns have sent several times colonists to Alpha Centauri
3) Pyramids were built to make it easier to switch governments
4) The citizens of the country that have JS.Bach's cathedral are VERY Happy people
5) It is possible to sink a battleship with spears
6) A temple makes people happier
7) Year was 20 times shorter before 1 AD
8) Somewhere there still might be a 'goody hut', which can reveal some 'ancient wisdom' of future tech 12.
9) You can allways irrigate land from oceans
10) Railroads are faster than anything else.
Old May 16, 2002, 10:33   #52
Jac de Molay
Prince

Education I got from Civ 1:

A person can survive on no sleep, Mountain Dew, and Camel lights for many days straight. Especially since its just....one...more...turn....till your marines reach that capital with 3 wonders.

Dave
Old May 17, 2002, 14:28   #53
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 17:53
It all started when my family and I went into a new software store. I wanted to get Red Baron, but my dad insisted on something cheaper. So I got F-19 Stealth Fighter for my 486. (Ah, old 486, you were so good to me. )

F-19 Stealth Fighter was made by Microprose, I believe. There were some demos on it, so I had to try them out, of course. There was a demo for something called "Colonization", but it didn't work on my computer. There was also a kind of demo for something called "Civilization". The concept intrigued me. This was about in 6th grade. I later got Colonization packaged with another game I was introduced to through a demo, Transport Tycoon.

A while later (it was the next year, around my birthday) I had decided to get this "Civilization" game. I had even saved up some money.
My dad had told his friend at work about the game, and much to my surprise, my dad's friend had seen the game at a store and bought it. He gave me the game, and I sent the money with my dad to work the next day to give to his friend.. As I waited for my dad to come home that day with the game, I could think of nothing else, which put a damper on school. I couldn't wait to try it out.

Then I got it. I had a blast, and continued to play it. This was in 7th grade. CivII was coming out about this time, but I didn't know it existed. Good thing too, or I might have missed out on Civilization for Civilization II.
Playa del Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2002, 04:11   #54
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 19:53
Remember the catpult/chariot rush? I thought I was a genius when I "invented" that...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
KrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2002, 05:28   #55
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:53

/me nods head.
Old May 19, 2002, 05:48   #56
Ecthy
Emperor

Chariot rush, yeah. did a catapult rush against Russians once, because their territory is so full of woods.

Never really did a cannon rush though, always preferred to rely on knight's defense value.
Old May 27, 2002, 07:50   #57
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Cannons weren't as good as the Catapults then. Catapults could do anything for you, right till Musketeers, the Cannon just had too low of a defense for this age... Knights were the requirement. I don't agree with people who said don't research Chivalry.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:01   #58
Ecthy
Emperor

Cannons didn't have a lower defense value than catapults, though. And since the AI never attacked with musketmen but only with knights, chariots and cannons/catapults for that matter, the danger of losing a connon inthat age wasn't higher than that of losing a catapult. unlike civ2.
Old May 29, 2002, 07:04   #59
Solver
lifer
Deity

They didn't have a lower defense than Catapults, just because there was nothing lower.

Did you say the words "AI" and "Attack" together? That AI never attacked! It only would send units in small packs, letting you counter attack then later. And with fast units, just obliterate his army in the field, as easy as that .
Old June 12, 2002, 05:07   #60
aaglo
King

Solver -
Propably you never gave the chance for the AI to attack... and you were allways the first to attack...