Old May 1, 2002, 09:16   #1
Lucius
Settler

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Terrain Wreck!
Please help.

I was creating a scenario based on - well, that doesn't matter. What matters is, I extensively edited the terrains for this scenario. But no, when I go into the map editor or try to start a game, I get the terrains I used for the scenario!!! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CIV II, and that at least changed the NAMES back to normal ocean, hills, forest, etc, but the APPEARANCE is still the crazy battlefield I had created. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, no help. I've checked the terrain1 and terrain2 .gif files in the regular CIV II folder and they look okay, but when I try to play or to use the map editor I get the weird stuff. How the HELL did this happen (given that uninstalling and reinstallind should have wiped out the scenario I created and all its works, right?) and how do I get the normal default terrains back?

Also, I can't seem to register the game. When I go through the normal rigmarole I give it the number of my server, it dials, and can't log on. Of course not, it doesn't know my name and password. But if I dial my server myself through dial up networking and THEN try to register, it says it can't find the modem. So how am I supposed to register?

Please email me at lucius_p_alexander@yahoo.com

or post here, you can expect me to come back often until I figure out how to fix this terrain wreck!
Old May 1, 2002, 09:25   #2
Lucius
Settler

I solved it myself!!
I still don't know HOW I got two of each terrain file in the regular CIV II folder, and I ESPECIALLY don't know how I had them after multiple reinstalls. But getting rid of the "weird" files and keeping the defaults fixed the game.

Fortunately I saved that scenario elsewhere and can retrieve it. I just hope it isn't somehow jinxed and going to cause the same problem again...

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises
Old May 2, 2002, 02:59   #3
Thoddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What Version of civ2 do you have.

Are there terrain1.gif and terrain1.bmp files there in the folder of your scen. Same for terrain2.gif/bmp.

Civ uses bmp first I think.
Old May 2, 2002, 12:03   #4
Lucius
Settler

The GOOD news is, I now know how to do something I have often wanted to do. Namely, use the map editor with the terrains the way I will want them in the scenario I am designing. All I have to do is start a new scenario, edit the terrains, shift the terrain files to the general CIV folder while stashing the defaults where I can retrieve them, then open the map editor.

I use CIV II Gold and yes, the extra files were bitmapped. What I still haven't figured out is how they got where they were.

Ironically, it was right after I posted here that I went back and figured it out. I feel dumb for panicking.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises
Old May 3, 2002, 07:01   #5
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucius
The GOOD news is, I now know how to do something I have often wanted to do. Namely, use the map editor with the terrains the way I will want them in the scenario I am designing. All I have to do is start a new scenario, edit the terrains, shift the terrain files to the general CIV folder while stashing the defaults where I can retrieve them, then open the map editor.
You can also do it the other way around:
  • First make the map editor the default program to open up .mp files (it will then only start up the mapeditor, not open the map).
  • Then copy the game.txt, labels.txt, mapmenu.txt and rules.txt to your scenario directory (well, only those that aren't there already). Those 4 text files are the only files that MUST be in the same directory as the file you open, otherwise the editor will crash on startup or give other problems.
    Any terrain graphics (and city graphics, for the starting positions) in that folder will now also be used.