Old May 6, 2002, 09:59   #61
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I must say, I had no idea I had so many companions about not mining grasslands! Itīs like I can speak out free now, join the rest of the gang and not hide with my terrible "no-mines-on-grassland"-feeling.
Iīve actually almost never mined a grassland or plains tile, just because I donīt think itīs correct. Okay, I tend to get very large cities, but they are pretty productive anyway. The problem might come when they get to size 12 and hospitals are far, far away... But anyway, I like large metropolices, itīs a pity you donīt get more bonus for a large pop. I didnīt even know you could mine grassland the first time I played, then I saw the AI do that and my first thought was "boy, is that stupid or what?". Maybe it wasnīt, but anyway I really long for the Civ2-mining/irrigation style - sure you couldnīt mine grassland there, could you?
So, sure it is possible to never mine a grassland tile. I never do, and I win games now and then anyway. If I loose, that has always some other reason.
Old May 6, 2002, 10:47   #62
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oh, I'm well aware that bedrock surfaces in plains and grasslands really aren't lucrative commercial mines, but quarrying can be and is done. If you wanted to go for all-out realism, then restricting mining to bonus grassland might be in order (as I always figured that little white-gray dot was supposed to be a rocky outcropping), but for sake of smoothing gameplay you might as well just leave it the way it is; really, I don't see anything less arbitrary about planting forests around a city to turn it into a heavy industrial metropolis than turning it into one sprawling quarry, and the alternative to either is to have a huge city producing more food than it could possibly ever use but virtually no production capability anyways.
Old May 6, 2002, 11:09   #63
Cossack
Settler

Local Time: 02:54
FYI

If you don't like the mining why not just alter the terrain tile and/or terraform values in the editor. Change mining grassland bonus to 0, the AI will also realize this and stop mining grassland.

In addition you can take of the commerce bonus off hills and mountains so that the AI only builds roads to connect cities or strategic resources, this should solve the ascetic problem.

However, my experience is that it changes the difficulty level, making it harder to win as you do not get so much commerce for tech advancements or resources to build units, therefore at higher levels where the AI receives production bounuses the AI gains a significant advantage.
Old May 6, 2002, 11:14   #64
ahenobarb
Prince

I made a new mine graphic, which looks like a city suburb instead of a mine as was suggested above. I think it looks much better, but given the grid pattern in civ, it still doesn't look "random" enough.

I posted it at Civfanatics, where most people download files anyway. It is Here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=21871
Old May 6, 2002, 13:33   #65
louiethelesbo
Settler

New Zealand?
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
It is important. It is what the game looks like, and how I feel about treating the environment.
Look..what do you know about attractive? It has been documented that the avergae new zealander prefer sheep. If you were from a real country, I might listen to you....but probably not.
Old May 6, 2002, 13:58   #66
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:54
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
I made a new mine graphic, which looks like a city suburb instead of a mine as was suggested above. I think it looks much better, but given the grid pattern in civ, it still doesn't look "random" enough.

I posted it at Civfanatics, where most people download files anyway. It is Here:

Thank youuuu!!!
You are God, I've been waiting for something like that for a very long time.
Old May 6, 2002, 14:09   #67
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Thank youuuu!!!
You are God, I've been waiting for something like that for a very long time.
Glad you like it.

It's a nice graphic, but I don't think I'm getting into Valhalla anytime soon.
Old May 6, 2002, 16:13   #68
Fitz
King

Local Time: 15:54
Interesting that so many people find the mine ugly. I personally cannot stand the irrigation pic, and mine everything that I can and still have growth. About the only place I have irrigation is in the plains and grasslands of cities close to a lot of hills/mountains, since they won't grow otherwise, and maybe one or two in an all grassland/plains city. I truley find the irrigation graphic annoying to the point that workers flock to newly conquered AI cities to eliminate their (in my view) terrible desecration of the land.

Anyone care to design a new irrigation pic for me?
Old May 7, 2002, 00:15   #69
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:54
Re: New Zealand?
Quote:
Originally posted by louiethelesbo

Look..what do you know about attractive? It has been documented that the avergae new zealander prefer sheep. If you were from a real country, I might listen to you....but probably not.
WTF are you going on about!
Old May 7, 2002, 00:22   #70
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:54
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb

Thats a pretty cool graphic there, ahenobarb. will have to add.
Old May 7, 2002, 00:24   #71
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Re: New Zealand?
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
Quote:
Originally posted by louiethelesbo

WTF are you going on about!

Grrr, louiethelesbo is an obvious DL, so best to ignore. Maybe he will get banned like x-zentric.
Old May 7, 2002, 03:56   #72
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
I hate mining grasslands, too!!

I liked more the Civ2 way of irrigating/mining. In Civ3 it is just way too easy to grow a city quickly, even without water around. For the sake of winning the game I do mine my granslands but I don't feel that this is correct, even if it would have a better graphic (btw, I think the mine graphic sucks big time, even in hills or mountains; it is not only ugly but in mountains it is barely visible).
--Woody Allen
Old May 7, 2002, 12:01   #73
tishco
Prince

maybe some1 could make a quarry icon, i tried and failed utterely
formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Last edited by tishco; May 7, 2002 at 12:12.
Old May 7, 2002, 15:31   #74
Bella Hella
Prince

you know, i agree with the irrigation graphic, too. it sucks! i didn't play civ2 so i don't know what it looked like then, but i thought the SMAC one was pretty good. actually looked like a FARM.

the little suburb graphic ROCKS! i love it. i'll have to get it when i get home (at work now). that may be the solution to my mining qualms.

i bit the bullet completely and mined the shizz out of everything a couple nights ago. production is better, yeah, but it really does look horrible. i plan to try to only mine hills, mountains, and the 8 squares directly around the city. it's a little better that way. i STILL need to experiment to find a nice "flow" to the look of my empire.

i also intend to try setting grassland to be impossible to mine in the editor. no idea how to do this just yet, but i'll give it a whirl for the heck of it. i think it might make things TOO hard, though. i don't know if i'm that die-hard about it. []
Old May 7, 2002, 16:10   #75
klesh
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
One of our resident graphically-inclined friends (someone call Sn00py) could alter the mine graphics to be something else. Something purtier. Like...suburbs? Dwellings? So you can actually have a sprawling metropolis?
Didn't I do this on page 1 of this thread. Its an old civII thing from a certain scenario maker, but pop it into CivIII format, and viola, you got a 'suburbs'.

-FMK.
Old May 7, 2002, 19:16   #76
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh

Didn't I do this on page 1 of this thread. Its an old civII thing from a certain scenario maker, but pop it into CivIII format, and viola, you got a 'suburbs'.

-FMK.
OffTopic,
FMK, is that avatar from Whiteout?

On topic,
there's some irrigation graphics around as well as new mines. check the terrain mods, sn00py's or womok's. there are others as well, but the above two make it look more like farmland.
Voici mon secret. Il est trčs simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 8, 2002, 12:20   #77
klesh
King

The avatar is the unabomber in reverse shading. I don't know what Whiteout is aside of the office product.

I don't play CivIII and havent since the horrendous 1st patch. So, I am no-where near up to date with all the mods and such. I just hop in to watch the flame wars and trash threads here, and occasionally add some decent imput.

Honestly, there is such a database of excellent gfx already made ofr CivII (by scenario makers) that I bet you could get all the gfx updates you need from there. Perrsonally I have all kinds of small farms, various industry things, buildings of every conceivable shape and size. Were I really into CivIII, I'd make these myself. However, I dont wanna waste my time right now on a broken game, so I can only offer these CivII versions of stuff and you all will have to convert them.

What other things might I offer that you guys could use?

-FMK.
Old May 8, 2002, 13:52   #78
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
The avatar is the unabomber in reverse shading. I don't know what Whiteout is aside of the office product.

-FMK.
It's an amazing comic by Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber.

"WHITEOUT is the story of United States Deputy Marshal Carrie Stetko, the only official US law enforcement officer present in Antarctica. She's based at McMurdo Station, on Ross Island, the largest permanently staffed base in Antarctica. She is, as they say, the law.

WHITEOUT is a murder mystery. It's about friendship, isolation, betrayal. It's about the coldest, loneliest, most remote place in the world. It's about a land where, in the height of winter, the temperature is roughly that of equatorial Mars."

check it out:

view first few pages

view review here

publisher's description
Voici mon secret. Il est trčs simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.