Old May 1, 2002, 19:45   #31
loleod
Settler

Local Time: 18:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not for nothing this company is trying to make everyone happy at the same time , meet deadlines, monetary limits, and keep the game simple enough so new players wont be frazzled ( Adding more players into the pool will make them more money , and in turn they will spend more money on production).

I think just by seeing how people react to ideas on this board ( this isnt an insult) , everyone has his/her own opinion. I like the idea of a more involved UN some people dont. The holler from many of us is make it an option! What would the opening screen look like if every player got their wish , but it was always an option? So many of the arguments against the game are valid , many are just upset players that cant do what THEY want.

On the other hand the original game before patches had some unacceptable glithces that should have been noticed. My game would freeze for small stupid reasons, those should not be , Fixaris employs people who their only job is , is to play their games looking for bugs.
Old May 1, 2002, 19:51   #32
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 19:55
I hope that they eventually convert the Test of Time scenarios to the Civ3 format.
Old May 1, 2002, 20:24   #33
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:55
Grrrrreaaaaaaat!

I'll buy it of course, but then I'm nowhere near my last dollar. I don't blame anyone for waiting though and seeing if it works well before they take the plunge. I was a starving student once, I understand their position.

I wonder how the editor fits into the puzzle?
Old May 1, 2002, 20:27   #34
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:55
I'll wait to see how the XP plays... there's not much more that I can do, because the XP will take some time to come around here where I live... But I'll have the benefit of being able to see the initial reaction, and this may save me some money...
Old May 1, 2002, 20:35   #35
Carver
Prince

I hope no Firaxian reads this, but I don't care how much the XP costs. I, for one, will be running out the door to buy it. v1.21f was awesome, I can wholeheartedly recommend this game now. And now we've got 8 new civs, scenario editors and online gameplay - I better get that broadband connection fast. oh.....yeah!
Old May 1, 2002, 20:41   #36
bigfree1

GREAT! {facetiousness is very heavy here}

I've ALWAYS wanted to pay TWICE for the same game I was promised in the first place!

Nobody gives a damn about promises kept, only PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT!

I WILL NOT 'BUY' THE EXPANSION, EVER!

Old May 1, 2002, 20:49   #37
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Firaxis has every right to put a price on MP, because as mentioned before, Firaxis let it be known that MP would not be included with the original game.
But, they never said the would CHARGE for the addition of the MP ability; they only said it wouldn't be included in the 'initial' release. I can understand some taking this to mean it would be 'patched' in at a later date rather than available for purchase.

In the begining, Firaxis intended MP to be shipped in the initial release. This changed, fine, but they should have been absolotely clear that you would have to pay for MP at a later date date, which they were not.

Old May 1, 2002, 20:51   #38
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
/me tries to remember the last time in gaming history a patch added multiplayer abilities
Old May 1, 2002, 21:12   #39
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:55
I noticed the statement used the phrase new single and multi-player scenarios. That seems to presuppose the existence of old scenarios [/end of cheap shot]

Nothing about any form of scenario editor though?
Old May 1, 2002, 21:14   #40
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

that's really cheap ravagon we're talking about a gamespot news article referring to an unknown statement by infogrames.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:19   #41
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1

I've ALWAYS wanted to pay TWICE for the same game I was promised in the first place!

When you say 'buy', its in quotation marks, which I find to be quite curious. Something tells me that you didn't "buy" the game in the first place. My guess is piracy.

The rest of your post(s) I won't bother responding to other than by saying:

1. Civ1 and 2 mp and a couple other expansions were released long after the original games. SMAX was an expansion. Suprised about a Civ3 XP? For sale? Shocking, just shocking that firaxis would release an xp and have the nerve to sell it.

2. Firaxis is a business. They should be allowed to make business decisions on their own. Just as you have the right not to purchase it if you don't wanto. If they discovered that the cost of making MP was too great to include in the initial release or a patch, should they suck it up and possibly go bankrupt? What would you do if this was your business? Let it go belly up because of a statement misconstrued by a few customers?

I plan on buying the xp. sounds great. new civs added. mp, which Iwill probably try once. sounds good. hopefully new editor functionality. Great. I would pay 30 bucks for that.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:20   #42
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:55
I know I know. Just had to get that in somehow. Sorry Markos.

I didn't realize that this wasn't an official announcement though ...
Old May 1, 2002, 21:30   #43
JtheJackal
Warlord

How can they mess this up?
Old May 1, 2002, 21:37   #44
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Mmm, I'll wait for the price to drop and see the reaction from the Civ3 scen community.
With Hearts of Iron and Crusader Kings (probably) coming out in Dec, about when this'll comes out, Paradox will get my money first. If the scenario support is good, then maybe I'll look into the XP.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old May 1, 2002, 21:42   #45
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 16:55
I wonder if the scenarios will be of Firaxis design or if it will be like Civ2 Gold in that it will be scenarios from here and other sites.

I for one could not care less about MP. I played only 1 MP Civ 2 game - it was fun - but only 1 game compared to the thousands of SP games.

I hope they include better terrain customization. Maybe a MiniMap in the editor???

Oh yeah I can't wait!
Old May 1, 2002, 21:45   #46
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
So in the end they make you pay for the multiplayer...Wonderful. Firaxis is going downhill fast.

Who in there right mind believed they would produce an expansion or even multi-player for free? Gimme a break.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:47   #47
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1

Well, good for you!
Old May 1, 2002, 21:55   #48
Spock
Chieftain

Spock does the "EIGHT NEW CIVS" happy dance!!!!!
Old May 1, 2002, 21:57   #49
Seeker
Emperor

I consider this good news.

In Civ 2 terms, this is the CiC disk.

Next, we'll get the FW version...

Then, finally, the MPGE.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:09   #50
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Except this will have multiplayer...
Old May 1, 2002, 22:32   #51
Khab
Chieftain

I just can't help feeling very ripped-off.

10. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:41   #52
korn469
Emperor

Civ3 is not Civ2

i am going to say that there will be one $29.95 expansion pack which will add multiplayer, more civs, a few new features, and it will either allow scenarios or they will do it in a patch, but there isn't going to be three or four expansions and then a Civ3 MPGE

i'm saying one expansion and then a gold version in about a year

civ3 will behave more like SMAC rather than Ci2, Civ2 was done by Microprose, Civ3 is done by firaxis, while some of the employees are the same for the most part they aren't

i'm just wondering how many new features they will include
Old May 1, 2002, 23:05   #53
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If the support for new products is there, why wouldn't they keep going with new expansions?
Old May 1, 2002, 23:26   #54
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

*agrees with NYE*
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for a hot-selling game like Civ 3 to have maybe one more XP beyond this one.
There is certainly room for more civs built into the game. (The game can support 31, a perfect number for any expansion packs beyond the upcoming one)
Old May 1, 2002, 23:27   #55
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:55
Call me a sucker
I am going to this XP the first day is avalible, only because it will, (hopefully ) have an scenario creator better than Civ 2. At least I hope will, and if it doesn't I will still probably buy the game. Any way FIRAXIS need to explain this, "turnless" multiplayer.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:40   #56
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:55
I just hope that Firaxis have been paying attention to the many suggestions posted on forums like this in planning the XP. I'd hate to see how ugly all the post-release ranting is going to be if too many suggestions were ignored.

Anyway, I'm remaining optimistic that many good things will come out of the XP, even if they weren't already suggested on the forums. So long as they allow you to create your own civs without hacking civ3mod.bic with Multitool, I'll be happy with it. If not... then it depends on what they DID do in it.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:51   #57
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I expect to see expanded diplomatic features, expanded UN (we have complained about it since day 1!), a new unit or three, and probably a few surprises to boot. :thumbsup:
Old May 1, 2002, 23:53   #58
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
I just hope that Firaxis have been paying attention to the many suggestions posted on forums like this in planning the XP. I'd hate to see how ugly all the post-release ranting is going to be if too many suggestions were ignored.
I don't thinks it possible for Firaxis to use enough suggestions to stave off another round of ranting. There were a LOT of suggestions.

Turnless multiplayer? In a turn based strategy? I have a feeling they mean some sort of simultaneous movement.
Old May 2, 2002, 01:10   #59
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Highly probable new features :

- Complete scenario editing tools : possibility to add units, to add buildings, fixed starting positions, placing and improving cities on the editor, placing units, decide what civ has what tech etc. At least, it would be as powerful as the scenario editor in the first shipment of Civ2.
- Still not sure about an event editor, sure there won't be a scripting language.
- I don't think it will be possible to convert Civ2 scenarios to Civ3, because of culture and resources.

- New graphics : leaderheads, UUs, but also new units / city looks if they're doing "fantasy" scenarios (their artists are working for 6 months on something new now).

- possibly new music.

- I'd say multiplayer will be internet, LAN, hotseat, PBEM. I don't imagine they'll forget one of these. Here's what I imagine when I hear "turnless multiplayer" :
Every minute or so, you can move your units again, your cities pile up more shields etc. The turns pass automatically after some time. The difference is : you move your units at the same time as your opponents. For example, a Persian warrior and an Indian warrior are both 1 tile away of the same Iron tile ; the fastest player moves the first on it. Anther example : a cavalry is next to an enemy cavalry : the first one to move his cavalry will be the attacker.
It will be a bit confusing at first, but will give some speed to the game. There would be some strategic depht, since you'll have to know what's the first field of battle you should manage.
Old May 2, 2002, 01:12   #60
philosophile
Settler

Local Time: 23:55
Quote:
MarkG tries to remember the last time in gaming history a patch added multiplayer abilities
mmm... Tough one. I think the last one was Deus Ex