Old May 3, 2002, 16:34   #181
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaingKaiShek

Well actually, we tend to just like to have people who do not agree with us to be set up before the firing squad and executed .

The reason praise is accepted over insult towards fraxis is because, sadly my friend the 'masses' are happy with Civ3. So every time someone throws a fit about how the evil company is going to stick it them by making them play for a feature that 'should have been with the game' - people tend to get a little annoyed.

As I said before, the company is only looking out for their PROFIT MARGIN. of course they DO like it if people actually DO like their product, or in this case, that most people like it. So the bickering of 10/20/50/100 people here isn't really that big of a deal compaired to the thousands who have purchased the game, and liked it. Or if they didn't like it they just threw it away and shut up

Alot of software companies are the same way, buy a product which is missing features, then buy the missing features with an' UPDATE. (Win98/Win98SE) per say.

You have the right to throw all the fits you want, but dont expect everyone to go along with you quietly.

Chaing
How do you know what the masses think, I'm sure that not every buyer of Civ 3 is a member of this forum or of any forum. Most of the people who belong to any game forum are actually fans of the game. I was a fan(big time) of Civ 2, I feel cheated by Civ 3 so my 'fan' status has changed, this forum gives me an outlet in which to express my opinion's in a way that doesn't trounce on other's. There a very many 'fans' who gave up being 'fans' shortly after the release of the first few patches, they are not here, you will not hear from them. Firaxis will 'hear' from them though, through reduced sales of the expansion I'll bet.

I do NOT expect everyone to think like me (how boring would life be!), I expect rebuttals to my argument, not blatant calls that say I'm not allowed a dissenting opinion.

Old May 3, 2002, 16:46   #182
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Cesa - do you have an Address for these Swedish guys. I should try to get the US Xp to match what I have. Don't wanna cause any problems with mixed versions...

-Jam
I'm sorry, but I seldom order games over the internet (I try to support the local gamestores), so I don't know of any good. Check http://www.amazon.co.uk , since they are inside Europe the shipping should be faster than from the US. If I find a good store in Sweden I'll tell you.
Old May 3, 2002, 16:56   #183
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 18:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What we have here, is a failure to communicate...
I'm a fanboy now because I call people whos only goal on this forum seems to be saying "it sucks" when Civ3 is mentioned? Thats not very logical.

I say to e-mail because people who just spam "it sucks" all the time obviously have some difficulty moving on, so perhaps e-mailing someone who probably won't read it will help them. I never said you couldn't say bad things about Firaxis, I just said to at least argue you point, and not just spam hate it. Theres about 10-20 people who come on this forum to do just that, its quite annoying. Those who play Civ3 and argue about it don't bother me, i've done it myself.

I say again, how many people who are directly responsible for the things they didn't like actually come here? Its all well and good to be mad, but spamming "it sucks" to get back at Firaxis on here is like pissin' in the wind. Its not gonna get you anywhere. People can argue and discuss all they want, but people spamming "its great" would be as bad as those spamming "it sucks". I just don't like the fact that it serves no real purpose other then to annoy/spam/or in many cases troll.

Oh, and btw, can I assume that my answers you chose not to question again you agree with?

Last edited by ChaotikVisions; May 3, 2002 at 18:04.
Old May 3, 2002, 17:03   #184
Mad Hab
Settler

Local Time: 20:55
Muslims in Civ III?
I wonder if they will finally put a muslim civ in the Expansion Pack. The abscence of Turks/Arabs are a HUGE omission in the series. But they will probably try to find civs with female leaders, since there were onlu a few of them in the original game... I think Vikings, Chartaginians, Spanish and Celts are sure-shots. Hope they bring back the Mongols (and old friend Genghis), too!

Another question: how will they handle civ-specific abilities? Will the new civs be copies of the existing ones, just with different special units? It would be nice to see another civ with a modern special unit as well...

Cheers!

Mad Hab
Old May 3, 2002, 17:20   #185
OldCharlie
Settler

Local Time: 19:55
I think of Egyptians and Persians as Muslim. Not being an expert on the subject, I suppose they are not Arab and maybe weren't even Muslim in antiquity. But neither were other civilizations consistantly one religion over all time.
Old May 3, 2002, 17:51   #186
Mad Hab
Settler

Local Time: 20:55
No, actually none of them were muslims. Persia was converted, yes, but the egyptians of the game are not the same egyptians of today... Anyway, a muslim leader would be very nice.
Old May 3, 2002, 19:06   #187
bigfree1

Re: What we have here, is a failure to communicate...
Quote:
[SIZE=1]

Oh, and btw, can I assume that my answers you chose not to question again you agree with?
Not really, I just choose to ignore most of them since I've already covered the answers to those questions in my previous posts.

The REASON I say you are a 'fanboy' is not because you have a problem with people, in your words, whom you say are spamming: "It Sucks"! It is because you responded to my post that contained much more than "It Sucks" infering that my post(s) was 'spam'.

If complaining about what Firaxis does is not going to get me anywhere, just where does glowering over how well you think they did get you?

Old May 3, 2002, 19:58   #188
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
A good way to work out what new Civs are in, is to come up with unique units for that civ. I'm not very good at that, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else can come up with any truely unique units in history. One thing I do think Civ3 needs is more units in the modern era. There seems to be only one so far. Surely the Arabs can make it two? But what unit do they have?

Btw, I don't like the idea of Australians being a civ, because they haven't been around long, but when you look at it, America has been around for 600 yrs, and Australia 300, where is the point where you say that they are worthy of being a Civilization in a Civ game?

P.S. I'd like to see the Aboriginies, ok so they weren't advanced people, but how advanced were the Zulu's? And isn't Civ about recreating time? And in saying that, wouldn't that register the Abo's a Civ, above MOST of the civs that are currently in the game now?

I think so.
Old May 3, 2002, 19:59   #189
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Etc..
You answered my answers with questions before I even answered them? *senses the fabric of the universe ripping*

Your a bit confused, lemme help you out. Sikander posted what I said about how some people just came to post to say simply "it sucks, or they hate it", so I responded back to him with a few things. You then asked several odd questions, all of which I answered. I never called any of your posts spam, unless any of your posts have been a one line "it sucks". My first post about it wasn't to you, and my reply to Sikander wasn't either, I only replied to you to answer those questions. And thats still not a very logical reason for me being a fanboy.

You can complain, argue, etc..., just don't pull lame spam routines like some. I don't think Civ3 is perfect, theres lots of things i'd like to see it, I just don't particularly like whining over things in general. I also haven't made a big deal out of what a great job they did either.
Old May 3, 2002, 20:01   #190
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Actually, it wasn't 600 yrs, I forget , when was the revolution again? :P @ Americans who think they are surpreme, where is MWHC? lol
Old May 3, 2002, 21:18   #191
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by OldCharlie
I think of Egyptians and Persians as Muslim. Not being an expert on the subject, I suppose they are not Arab and maybe weren't even Muslim in antiquity. But neither were other civilizations consistantly one religion over all time.
Ancient Egyptians: Hamites. Not Muslim until little over a millennia ago. Now they are Semites, and neither of them were "balck". Persians are not Arabs, but are Muslims - a different branch of Islam from most of the rest of the Islamic world such as Iraq.
Old May 3, 2002, 23:23   #192
JtheJackal
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Hab
No, actually none of them were muslims. Persia was converted, yes, but the egyptians of the game are not the same egyptians of today... Anyway, a muslim leader would be very nice.
With the power of imagination and the make your own history game my Japanese civilization is now a Muslim controled empire fighting a fierce war with the Zulu Scientologist dictatorship .
Old May 3, 2002, 23:38   #193
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 19:55
Maybe you should all wait to buy the third or fourth expansion pack.

Modpacks to come:

Civ3: Play the World
Civ3: The Diplomacy
Civ3: The Macro Language
Civ3: House Party ... maybe not but you get the idea...

and the gold edition entitled:

Civ3: The Quest for Even More Money (OR Hey Even Sid's Kid's Must Own 10 Ferraris)
Old May 3, 2002, 23:54   #194
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
although I agree with someone (?) who said that there shouldnt be tons of ancient civs, phoenicians or carthaginians or something for that civilization is needed. They are too huge to omit.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 4, 2002, 02:00   #195
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
kring, there is no such thing as a stand alone expansion pack
Counterstrike
Old May 4, 2002, 02:43   #196
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
Counterstrike is a MOD of Halflife.
NOT an XP.
Old May 4, 2002, 02:58   #197
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

While not a direct ''expansion'' of the game story of halflife. It was developed as a commercial product by Valve, the makers of halflife. So i consider it a stand alone XP, of sorts.
Old May 4, 2002, 03:02   #198
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
As much as Action Quake is XP.
Old May 4, 2002, 05:10   #199
Reverend Bob
Settler

Local Time: 23:55
Quote:
* MarkG tries to remember the last time in gaming history a patch added multiplayer abilities
Deus Ex added multi-player with the patch.

A *relatively* trivial task given that most of the necessary code was already there in the underlying engine admittedly, but all the signs are that a significant chunk of the MP code is already embedded in Civ3 as well...
Old May 4, 2002, 07:31   #200
Cesa
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa

I'm sorry, but I seldom order games over the internet (I try to support the local gamestores), so I don't know of any good. Check http://www.amazon.co.uk , since they are inside Europe the shipping should be faster than from the US. If I find a good store in Sweden I'll tell you.
Another one: www.gameplay.co.uk, I don't know how fast games are released in the UK, but I assume they aren't released later than in Sweden. I can't find any swedish stores that ship outside nothern europe, of course I could always by an extra XP and send it to you, but the UK stores should be just as fast I believe.
Old May 4, 2002, 09:13   #201
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 09:25
Ok but wait theres more
A few years ago I heard of Civilization 2, but never bothered to get it I dont know why but I'm glad I didn't, I was in a store years later and saw Ultimate Civilisation 2, which included (Quote form the box cover:
UltimateCIVILIZATIONII Classic Collection
Civilization II and Multiplayer
PLUS Conflicts in Civilization and
Fantastic Worlds Scenarios

I got the box for $australian $95, ($50 amercian?)but obviously each of these were sold as Expansions, So what I propose the avid but patient Civ 3 player do is But wait a few years until the average computer is a 4Ghz machine, when the new classic collection will come out and it'll probably be the same box design the same general contents but see if you can spot the difference

UltimateCIVILIZATIONIII Classic Collection
Civilization III and Multiplayer
PLUS Conflicts in Civilization and
Fantastic Worlds Scenarios
Old May 4, 2002, 09:29   #202
Maquiladora
Emperor

How would all these Civ3 maniacs satisfy their thirst in the meantime?
:cough: call to power 2 :cough:
Old May 5, 2002, 00:21   #203
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:55
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
Civ3 is not Civ2

i am going to say that there will be one $29.95 expansion pack which will add multiplayer, more civs, a few new features, and it will either allow scenarios or they will do it in a patch, but there isn't going to be three or four expansions and then a Civ3 MPGE

i'm saying one expansion and then a gold version in about a year

civ3 will behave more like SMAC rather than Ci2, Civ2 was done by Microprose, Civ3 is done by firaxis, while some of the employees are the same for the most part they aren't

i'm just wondering how many new features they will include
Concur...but the reason for this is because Civ3 is a worse selling game than Civ2. It will not support that many XPs...
Old May 5, 2002, 02:25   #204
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
hex, ctp1 already had multiplayer out of the box. it didnt have pbem, but it had mp...
Yes. And Civ3 had mp promised. They have never told us directly why it was removed. You are as much in the dark as us.
Old May 5, 2002, 02:29   #205
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

In all honesty, it's not really Firaxis' fault the game ended up the way it did. It had to be released by a certain date, buggy or not. Scenario editor or not. Multiplayer or not. While forcing you to buy an XP to get multiplayer is a bit cheap, it's really nothing new for the series.
err...yes it is. They contracted to make the game. It is their responsability to make it. If they do a bad job, than they are responsible. If IG holds them to a CONTRACTED delivery date, that's not IG's fault. It's Firaxis's fault (if they can't make it.)
Old May 5, 2002, 02:39   #206
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 15:55
You are acting as if MP was in the contract.
Old May 5, 2002, 02:47   #207
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There are strong reasons to believe it was...

Based on the posted advertisements on Amazon and the discussions at E3, etc.

most likely, Firaxis did not do a permier job because they could not keep the team together. IG probably had to come to some arrangement with Firaxis. It is likely that Firaxis was in conflivt with their contract...and a renegotation was done. Definitly not IG's fault. If IG wanted to play hardball, they caould have cancelled the project.
Old May 5, 2002, 03:56   #208
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 15:55
Its even more likely that you are speculating far beyond the amount to information available.
Old May 5, 2002, 04:03   #209
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Concur...but the reason for this is because Civ3 is a worse selling game than Civ2. It will not support that many XPs...

I find this pretty humorous-here you claim that it is a worse selling game, then on the general forum, you are asking for sales numbers. Haha. Isn't that the reverse of how it should be? Get the facts and then analyze?
Old May 5, 2002, 04:13   #210
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:55
Never let the facts get in the way of a good troll.