Old May 13, 2002, 16:52   #61
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar

Perhaps you should not pass judgment about something you are unknowledgeable of.
Not perhaps, I shouldn't. But, I appreciate the information. Once again, no offense intended. The information you presented is impressive.

Maybe the Koreans will make it into the XP then. Although I hope not at the expense of any civ on my definites list.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:14   #62
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 17:55
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBigTurkey
What I want:

8. Songhai: Mansa Musa (sorry if this is the wrong civ); commercial, expansionist; UU [don't know]; Meditteranean
Mansa Musa ruled Mali ( a precursor and probably greater civ than Songhai) , which should rival Ethiopia for a place in the XP.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:30   #63
maggot
Settler

My feelings on the discussion of including the "Arab" civilization are pretty much that their omission is a major hole in the game. However, I think one thing worth pointing out is that they should be called "Islamic." Their civilization was forged by Arabs, but it was certainly never called an Arab empire, but a religious one.

One of the problems withthe "Arab" civilization in Civ2 was that its capital was Bahgdad, and not Mecca or Damascus, which is ironic because Bahgdad has always been a Persian city. Calling the Islamic civilization "Arab" simply plays on the same vast realm of ignorance most Westerners have about the cultures of the middle-east. It would be like having the French, German, Spanish, civs and instead of English having "Caucasians."

But between the rise of the Islamic conquests (seldom called the Arab conquests) and their fall to the mongols there was no civilization that could match them in terms of scale, scientific achievment, and influence on the medieval world (short of the East Asian civs).

I would argue that that Islamic capital should be in Mecca, or at the very least Damascus. They would be a religious civ, either expansionist or scientific (their militaristic phase was very brief in terms of their entire history compared to their scientific accomplishments and their military conquests bear no difference from those of many other civs that have already been included).

Finally I would like to add that I'd like to see the Anasazi included as a great civ. Their influence over the Southwest, the Mid-west, and Mexico was unrivaled in their time. They are considered one of the great civilizations of history, and there is a great deal of oral hostory preserved through the navajo enough to construct a reasonably meaningful articulation of their civ for the game. It would certainly be more accurate to include them than the Iroqois or (gack!) the Sioux, who never had a meaningful influence beyond being the inheritors of the legacy left behind by the Anasazi.
Old May 14, 2002, 13:12   #64
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by maggot
However, I think one thing worth pointing out is that they should be called "Islamic." Their civilization was forged by Arabs, but it was certainly never called an Arab empire, but a religious one.
This is a good point. While it really was an Islamic empire, it was also still essentially Arab. I see no harm in referring to the Caliphates as Arab though since it was primarily the Arabs who forged them.

Quote:
One of the problems withthe "Arab" civilization in Civ2 was that its capital was Bahgdad, and not Mecca or Damascus, which is ironic because Bahgdad has always been a Persian city.
I may be incorrect but I am pretty sure that the Arabs did found Baghdad, and of course historically it was the capitol of their most powerful caliphate, the Abbasid. Damascus is a reasonable choice because it was the capitol of the Ummayyad Caliphate, but I don't see Mecca as a capitol at all. Mecca has never been, nor is it now, a capitol. Even though the first followers of Muhammad (SAW) lived there, they had to flee from it. The first Islamic state was established in the city of Yathrib, later renamed Madinah, which is where they fled. Damascus later became the second capitol, and then Baghdad.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:37   #65
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I may be incorrect but I am pretty sure that the Arabs did found Baghdad
Sorry but you are wrong. Baghdagh was a babylonian city.

Quote:
has never been, nor is it now, a capitol. Even though the first followers of Muhammad (SAW) lived there, they had to flee from it. The first Islamic state was established in the city of Yathrib, later renamed Madinah, which is where they fled. Damascus later became the second capitol, and then Baghdad.
It wa a capital. Mecca was the capital city of Arab empire between 630 and 692, since Muhammad re-conquered it until the Ummayads stablished their capital in Damascus.

The first capital was Madinah (622-630), then Mecca (630-692), then Damascus and finally Baghdagh.
"Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Last edited by jasev; May 14, 2002 at 14:43.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:40   #66
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 18:55
Quote:
Originally posted by DhulKhidr
But, I appreciate the information. Once again, no offense intended. The information you presented is impressive.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:56   #67
siredgar
Prince

By the way, here is a link that inadvertently demonstrates the destructive intent of the (unsuccessful) Japanese invasion of Korea in the late 16th century:

http://www.korea.net/learnaboutkorea..._slides_3.html

Also, that damn Hideyoshi Toyotomi (who turned out to be a Korean pottery freak) stole all of their celadon ware and kidnapped all of the greatest Korean potters (about 70,000 of them according to one source):

http://www.jca.ax.apc.org/JWRC/exhibit/Korea43.htm

http://www.umakato.jp/english/kara01.html

That's after burning down hundreds of temples and palaces in Korea.

So, it's really no wonder many people know so much more about Japan than Korea, especially when most of Korea's treasures have been stolen and treated as "Japanese".

Last edited by siredgar; May 14, 2002 at 15:01.
Old May 14, 2002, 15:37   #68
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by jasev

It wa a capital. Mecca was the capital city of Arab empire between 630 and 692, since Muhammad re-conquered it until the Ummayads stablished their capital in Damascus.

The first capital was Madinah (622-630), then Mecca (630-692), then Damascus and finally Baghdagh.
No, that's inaccurate. On the point of Mecca never being a capitol of the Muslims I am sure. Muhammad (SAW) left Mecca after it was reconquered and returned to Madinah to live out the rest of his days (approximately one year). That is also the location of his tomb. Madinah was, and remained, the capitol from the time that Muhammad (SAW) entered it after first fleeing Mecca, through the caliphates of his first four successors; Abu Bakr, Umar ibn al-Khattab, Uthman and finally that of his cousin, Ali. After Ali was assassinated, the clan of Uthman, the Umayyads, took control and made Damascus their capitol.

Last edited by DhulKhidr; May 15, 2002 at 14:00.
Old May 17, 2002, 22:28   #69
maggot
Settler

Quote:
On the point of Mecca never being a capitol of the Muslims I am sure. Muhammad (SAW) left Mecca after it was reconquered and returned to Madinah to live out the rest of his days (approximately one year).
Regardless, I think the best *historical* aspect of civ is playing the civ as if it were the one that made it. You start where there great empire began and have the choice to move the capitol where you want to. There's no reason to start where the empire wound up due to other mitigating factors. That's why I think Mecca would be a good place for an Arab civ to start. Most of the other civs are planted firmly, not in their most famous, or last capitol, but in their starting point in their history as a great civilization, English, French, Aztecs, Japanese, etc. The only real point of contention on that point (I think) are the Chinese and American civs. I'm sure an argument could be made for any of the civs (esp the Greeks) that they don't have an absolutely accurate starting point, but an Islamic civ should be, at the very least, started in Medina.

But I still feel very strongly that the civ should be called Islamic, rather than Arab. Arabs were certainly Caliphs for most of its history, but the empire was always defined by its religion.
Old May 18, 2002, 02:54   #70
jasev
staff
Spanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversApolytoners Hall of FamePSPB Team Español

Quote:
But I still feel very strongly that the civ should be called Islamic, rather than Arab. Arabs were certainly Caliphs for most of its history, but the empire was always defined by its religion.
The Arab Civ shouldn't be called Islamic because turks were (are) islamic, too. And Pakistan, Indonesia, etc...
Old May 18, 2002, 04:16   #71
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 19:55
Canadians.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 18, 2002, 10:51   #72
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

Quote:
You are right, that particular empire was defined primarily by religion. But in terms of Civilization (the game series) that is not really the issue, the group is. The Russians could be divided into the Czarist Russian empire, the Soviet empire and the Russian democracy. The Romans into the Republic or Imperia and so on with many of the other civs. But in Civilization they are all grouped as Romans, Russians, etc. Yes the Caliphates were Muslim but they weren't the only Muslim empires, there were others. But they were the only Arab empires. So the distinguishing characteristic is that they were Arab. Just as the Sultanates (if there is such a word), though also Muslim, were primarily Turkish. Hopefully I am making some sense .
Old May 20, 2002, 23:21   #73
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
What do I think will be in the expansion pack? Well, if I'm optimistic, but not expecting exactly what's on my wish list I would say:

1. Spanish
2. Vikings
3. Mongols
4. Inca
5. Turks
6. Koreans
7. Ethiopians
8. Phoenicians
Well, I am off by one civ: the Celts. I thought they had a good chance, but I wasn't so sure because of the Euro-factor. So, it looks like I got the Spanish, Vikings, Mongols, Koreans, and Carthaginians right and Celts wrong. I'm pretty sure one of the remaining two will be the Incans and the last one will either be the Turks, Arabs, or an African civ.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:02   #74
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 16:55
We now know that the Koreans, Celts, Carthagians, Spanish, Mongols, and Vikings are in so the question becomes: Who will the last two be?

I'm betting on the Turks and Incas.
Old May 21, 2002, 09:19   #75
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

That's too bad unless it's the Turks, and the Arabs.

Where did you get this info siredgar?

Last edited by DhulKhidr; May 21, 2002 at 09:38.
Old May 23, 2002, 19:21   #76
siredgar
Prince

It's posted all over. Just as Oerdin has said: six civs are known. Go to the Civ 3 main page on this site. It's not 100% sure though.
Old May 25, 2002, 12:45   #77
Txurce
Prince

And now you know that the mystery duo are the Ottomans (Turks) and Gauls. Yes, the Gauls. Because France wasn't adequately represented.
Old May 25, 2002, 13:07   #78
jasev
staff

Quote:
And now you know that the mystery duo are the Ottomans (Turks) and Gauls. Yes, the Gauls. Because France wasn't adequately represented.
This is not official. Maybe there's a confussion between celts and gauls (I sincerely hope so).
Old May 25, 2002, 14:36   #79
siredgar
Prince

I think (and hope), Jasev, that you are right. Nice call, by the way.
Old May 26, 2002, 20:16   #80
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

I sure hope so. Gauls would be overkill.