View Poll Results: Which story is the best?
One Lovely War by cbraund 0 0%
Crazed Greek Wanderings by Metaliturtle 6 50.00%
Zulu Rules by Samuel Johnson 3 25.00%
Fate of The Dragon by cbraund 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1, 2002, 16:40   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Story COntest Round 3: Finals
Poll ends Sunday (5/5). C'mon people vote only 11 voters were in the prelims!

Overview of the stories/writers:
cbraund: He has 2 entries, One lovely war and fate of a dragon. He has written many stories including Ich bin ein berliner (1st contest died in prelims) and the hunting season (2nd place in the 2nd contest). He has yet to win a contest but came in second in the 2nd contest.

Metaliturtle: CGW may b e the funniest story in the history of apolyton. His first story, it is full of laughs and the favorite of many. He has now written many stories and had a second in the prelims. CGW will probably be neck-and-neck with Fate of the Dragon.

Samuel Johnson: Never heard of him until his story "Zulu Rules", and after writing it disappeared. AN excellent story from a relative nobody.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 2, 2002, 03:16   #2
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 18:55
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
If CGW wins, I'll post the secret "real" ending, now THAT's a teaser Richelieu
Old May 2, 2002, 10:34   #3
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 19:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Metaliturtle
If CGW wins, I'll post the secret "real" ending, now THAT's a teaser Richelieu
I call that blackmail!
Old May 2, 2002, 12:22   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

60% of the votes are for CGW...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old May 2, 2002, 19:40   #5
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

The problem with CGW is that it degraded into what it began as, a historical representation, I fixed this through characters, but even they get really stale. The best element for these stories in my mind, is author's interest, and without it, the story suffers.
Old May 2, 2002, 21:01   #6
civman2000
Emperor

VOTE VOTE VOTE PEOPLE!!!!!

Old May 3, 2002, 00:56   #7
Metaliturtle
staff
King

CGW comes with a prize
CGW! CGW! CGW!

CRAZED GREEK WANDERINGS 4 LIFE
Old May 3, 2002, 11:43   #8
civman2000
Emperor

zulu rules is beating fate of the dragon!

Old May 3, 2002, 16:42   #9
Metaliturtle
staff
King

zulu rules was better IMVVVHNBPO (in my very very very humble non-biased (yea right) Personal Opinion
Old May 4, 2002, 19:34   #10
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Thanks for the kind words about Zulu Rules - it was fun to write and got me out of another writer's block for something else I am writing - Thanks to whomever voted for my story,too.

Civman, I am not a relative nobody. I am a irrelevant somebody!

I have an idea for a new story but then after trying to create a game that would fit the story, it didn't work. Zulu Rules was based on a random type game and then I wrote the story. I'm not sure which is the best model - think up an idea and then play a game or play a game and let the Muse go with the flow.

I am reading a book right now that Civ story writers might dig - it's called "Stonehenge: 2000 B.C." by (I believe) Bernard Cornwell. Anyway, its an author's imagining based on both what we know about Stoneheng and his own ideas, how Stonehenge was built. The story follows three brothers - one is the warrior, the other the priest/sorceror and the other is the trader/builder.
The warrior (the old brother, figures) is an a-hole, the priest is delusional and supersmart at the same time and the trader/builder is the hapless hero.

Anyway, cool sh*t! See ya.
Old May 5, 2002, 09:16   #11
civman2000
Emperor

7 and a half hours left...

Old May 5, 2002, 21:23   #12
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Well, according to my GMT thingy, I won, so I'll have the real conclusion to the wanderings up in a day or so
Old May 6, 2002, 00:11   #13
Metaliturtle
staff
King

HAHA, It's up now, and I just read it, yay, I'm so happy no more crazed greek wanderings one, it be done!!
Old May 6, 2002, 11:07   #14
civman2000
Emperor

yes congrats

Old May 6, 2002, 16:45   #15
Metaliturtle
staff
King

thankye civman