Old May 1, 2002, 22:40   #1
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
High School Panty Raid!
Quote:
POWAY, Calif. (AP) - A female vice principal allegedly lifted girls' skirts - in front of male students and adults - to make sure they weren't wearing thong underwear at a dance.

``Everyone saw everything,'' said Kim Teal, whose 15-year-old daughter attended the dance but was not checked. ``It was a big peep show.''

School officials are interviewing students and staff before responding to parents who have called for the dismissal of the vice principal Rita Wilson at Rancho Bernardo High School, a district spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Students said they were told to line up outside the gym before entering the dance so Wilson could check their underwear. Those wearing thongs were turned away.

Wilson did not return phone calls seeking comment Tuesday. District spokeswoman Sharon Raffer wouldn't say why thong underwear would be prohibited at a school dance, but said that ``dress needs to be appropriate.''

``It's not their right to know what kind of underwear these kids have,'' parent Alane Garvik told television station KGTV in San Diego.
Watching the news tonight is just astounding for me.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:44   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:56

If there had been underwear prohibitions at my highschool dances, I would have gone around daring the chaperones to check.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:51   #3
DinoDoc
Deity

Reortedly (Fox News), some girls were asked to prove that they were wearing bras.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 1, 2002, 22:57   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

American Perversity Masked As Puritanism strikes again (was Ken Starr doing the checking?!)
Old May 1, 2002, 23:01   #5
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:56

DAMN I wish we were this puritanical here.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:23   #6
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
DAMN I wish we were this puritanical here.
Hell, we weren't even that puritanical here in the US Bible Belt.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:44   #7
Promethus
Settler

DinoDoc

Thats because you have a traditional way of dealing with the results of such behavior i.e "Get out the white shotgun, it's a dress wedding"
Old May 1, 2002, 23:47   #8
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Promethus
DinoDoc

Thats because you have a traditional way of dealing with the results of such behavior i.e "Get out the white shotgun, it's a dress wedding"

Man, I wish I came from some place like Battle Creek, Michigan or Fort Wayne.

Noooooo, I have to come from a town called SUNSET .

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 1, 2002, 23:50   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 17:56
it was for one of those girl's gone wild video's

Jon Miller
Old May 1, 2002, 23:58   #10
Promethus
Settler

Jon Miller

Looks like to many math classes has arrested your social development. Go help Shi with his math problem.
Old May 2, 2002, 00:50   #11
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 15:56
It's not funny in the slightest. One girl was grabbed by a teacher who yanked on her blouse to peep down and see if she was wearing a bra.

My daughter wouldn't let any teacher or anyone do that, but anyone who tried would be one dead mother****er when I got a hold of them.

These girls were made to lift their skirts and show their stuff in front of male cops, teachers, and students in a totally humiliating and intimidating atmosphere.

It's beyond "puritanical." The people responsible should be criminally charged (assault fits) and the cops who allowed what was clearly an illegal search to be conducted in their presence while doing nothing should be fired.

BTW, it wasn't in Poway - the news ****ed up. It was in Rancho Bernardo, a suburb of San Diego, but which has some weirdass school district structure (upper class white neighborhood tax games) that puts it as an independent part of Poway's school district rather than the San Diego one.

If my daughter went to a public high school (she doesn't), that would have been the one she would be going to.
Old May 2, 2002, 00:59   #12
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This thread should be linked with the one about the footballers biting. Same weird sh*t.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 2, 2002, 01:03   #13
Promethus
Settler

MTG

I think the cops were there to keep the students from resisting and if any of them had resisted THEY would have been arrested for assalting the teacher/vice principle.
Old May 2, 2002, 01:09   #14
LTEC!
Goddess

SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
May 1, 2002

RANCHO BERNARDO – A high school assistant principal accused of asking students to show their underwear before entering a dance was placed on administrative leave today after district officials had weighed the "severity of the allegations and concerns of those involved."

Dozens of infuriated parents and students have demanded that the administrater, Rita Wilson, be fired, saying she violated students' rights by forcing girls and boys attending a dance to lift their clothing and expose their undergarments. The reason for the check, the district said, was to "ensure appropriate school dress."

Several girls attending the dance Friday said they were asked if they were wearing thong underwear, and told to go home and change if they were. Female and male students complained of having to lift their clothing and expose their undergarments to Assistant Principal Rita Wilson and counselor Natalie Johnson outside the gym while their peers watched. The reason, the district said, was "to ensure appropriate school dress."

"It was a violation of these kids' privacy, and very embarrassing for kids at that age," said Cindy Chappell, whose 16-year-old daughter complained that her bra was exposed while Wilson examined her tube top.

The student said she was asked whether the tube top was attached to her bra. After answering, the student said, Wilson grabbed her tube top and yanked it down, exposing most of her bra.

"I felt embarrassed because there were about 50 people standing around," Chappell's daughter said. "I didn't think I had done anything wrong."

San Diego city police Officer Greg Bisesto said that while patrolling the dance, which was attended by about 725 students, he watched Wilson force dozens of girls to lift their skirts. He said he heard Wilson ask the questions: "Are you wearing underwear? If so, is it a thong? . . . Then let me check."

"I just thought, 'Oh, my God, what is she doing?' " Bisesto said. "This is totally out of line."

Parents have been told that part of the motivation for the inspections was an incident involving partial nudity at the dance last year. The dance, called "MORP" – "prom" spelled backward – is the only informal dance at the school and is considered the wildest of the year, students said.

Students typically dress in costume to fit a theme, which this year was "Blast From the Past." Last year, some students wore loincloths for the "Jungle Fever" theme. Things got out of hand, students and parents said, and one girl took off her underwear and revealed herself on the dance floor.

While not condoning Wilson's alleged actions, school board President Penny Ranftle said: "I suspect the intent was to make sure students were more protected, in terms of being covered. But having said that, I don't think it's appropriate to ask what kind of underwear a student is wearing."

Jordan Budd, legal director at the American Civil Liberties Union for San Diego and Imperial counties, said that if the description of the night's events provided by students is accurate, "it plainly violates the privacy rights of girls and boys subjected to the searches."

Some parents have threatened to file invasion-of-privacy and sexual-harassment lawsuits against the school. Parent Alane Barnes Garvik said she will not be satisfied until Wilson and Johnson are removed.

"Those two need to be gone," said Garvik, whose daughter was asked if she was wearing a thong. "That's the only acceptable consequence. These people, as far as I'm concerned, need to be classified as sex offenders."

Garvik's sophomore daughter was forced to go home and change before she could enter the dance, although thongs are not barred in the school dress code. The code states that undergarments, including "boxers, tank-top undershirts or underwear" should not be exposed.

"I felt like they were really touching a private area," the 16-year-old said. "I didn't think they had a right to know that stuff."

Other students who asked not to be identified because they feared retaliation at school said they encountered similar treatment at the costume dance.

One 17-year-old junior said he had to lift the toga he was wearing and show the shorts he had on underneath.

"She said, 'What's under your toga?' " the student said. Johnson, the counselor, did not seem satisfied until the student raised it, he said.

During the dance, at least two people tried to stop Wilson's examinations.

Bisesto, the police officer, said he approached Assistant Principal Michael Mosgrove and asked him to talk to Wilson about her behavior. Bisesto said he does not know if Mosgrove spoke with Wilson, but he said the examinations did not stop.

A member of the school's student government, Michael Barber, said he approached a teacher at the dance, asking him to talk to Wilson, but the teacher declined.

"Teachers were our only line of defense, and when we tried to say something, nothing was taken seriously," said Barber, a senior.

Wilson, who has been working in the district since 1995, was described by students as a strict administrator who is known for enforcing the rules. As one of four assistant principals at the 3,166-student school, she oversees some disciplinary issues and organizes school events.

The district hopes to complete its investigation within a week or two, said district Communications Director Sharon Raffer.

"We are taking this seriously and want to ensure that any actions to be taken are based upon the facts of the situation," Superintendent Don Phillips said in a written statement.
Old May 2, 2002, 01:18   #15
Promethus
Settler

Supertendent Don Phillips sounds like "A cat on a hot tin roof"
Old May 2, 2002, 02:20   #16
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Are you sure this happened? Sounds like an Onion article or an urban myth.

Otherwise I'll bet this woman belongs to some weird fundy religious group.

Old May 2, 2002, 02:21   #17
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 19:56
If Reuters and AP are to be believed, then it actually happened...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 2, 2002, 02:24   #18
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

This is a disgusting and evil act. Rita Wilson should be headed to prison for a very long time.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 2, 2002, 02:27   #19
Promethus
Settler

AH

These 2, see papagragh 3.

I still think you would look good in a new Bark Hut.
Old May 2, 2002, 02:33   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

they had partial nudity the year before. maybe I need to go to more high school dances

err wait, I'm too old for that now. But maybe when I was in high school. My high school dances were never that good. I'm talking about the one last year, not this recent event.

It's pretty bad. I hope they fire the VP and start getting nudity back into school dances.
Old May 2, 2002, 02:37   #21
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
This is a disgusting and evil act. Rita Wilson should be headed to prison for a very long time.
Now hang on a sec - let's not get the lynch mob. What the woman did was wrong but hey, I remember the nuns checking the girls at my school to see if they were wearing the approved sexless bullet proof underwear. I reckon this woman might have been convent educated and just had what we call here a "brain explosion".

Old May 2, 2002, 02:52   #22
Zkribbler
Deity

[Zkribbler repairs Shi Huangid's quote to read correctly]

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
This is a disgusting and evil act. Rita Wilson should be beheaded.
Old May 2, 2002, 05:19   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:56
Thats disgusting, they should be criminally charged. Being 'religious' is no excuse to break laws.
Old May 2, 2002, 06:20   #24
Triped
Warlord

is all I got to say.

That and this is a criminal act, and should be prosecuted as such. People who think they can trample on the rights of others in the name of anything should be taught otherwise.
Old May 2, 2002, 07:37   #25
Alexander's Horse
Deity

You morons don't get it do you. I'm not defending this idiot. I just can't wait for more details of her story to come out and I suspect there'll be a loopy religious angle.

Old May 2, 2002, 07:43   #26
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I can't believe one of those kids didn't make a scene right away. I saw the report on Fox News. They even made guys wearing "togas" prove they were wearing underwear. THat's absurd!! You can bet your ass I would have caused a ruckus.
Old May 2, 2002, 08:11   #27
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Just goes to confirm my long held opinion that the closest things to Nazi Germany are elementary and high-schools.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 2, 2002, 08:29   #28
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Quote:
Originally posted by LTEC!
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
May 1, 2002

... Things got out of hand, students and parents said, and one girl took off her underwear and revealed herself on the dance floor.
So, if I understand well, in order to avoid the risk of ONE girl being exposed (willingly?), in a private party and inside a building, they exposed lots of unwilling people in public.

I must have missed something.

These ame-romans are crazy
Old May 2, 2002, 08:34   #29
klesh
King

Local Time: 19:56
Since when is your undergarments (which cant be seen since they are UNDER other things) part of the school dress code?

IIRC, we had no such rules regarding underwear/bras etc in my HS.

It's a good thing too, as I wear no undergarments. Woulda been a helluva dance for me eh?

-FMK.
Old May 2, 2002, 08:47   #30
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Since when is your undergarments (which cant be seen since they are UNDER other things) part of the school dress code?
Many schools have an underwear dress code, mainly conservative private girls ones.