Only if they introduce the Banana republic 2 1.47%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2002, 07:29   #31
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 00:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Probably yes. I'm hoping for an expansion pack like SMAC-X, which also included new buildings and wonders, a larger tech tree and a lot of other small improvements.

The scenario editor (which I take for granted to be included) should also be offered as a free patch.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old May 3, 2002, 08:01   #32
Flanker
Warlord

I guess I´ll buy it along with a banana. Then I could make my own banana republic at home.
Old May 3, 2002, 08:10   #33
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
I guess I´ll buy it along with a banana. Then I could make my own banana republic at home.
They're adding banana republic? Is this the long awaited solution to corruption in faraway provinces? Any other government types?

Cool!

Last edited by Zachriel; May 3, 2002 at 08:16.
Old May 3, 2002, 09:22   #34
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I might buy it. But this time I will play it first. Firaxis has washed itself clean off my buy-on-sight list.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:34   #35
Flanker
Warlord

Quote:
They're adding banana republic? Is this the long awaited solution to corruption in faraway provinces? Any other government types?
Well, maybe you´ll have to add the bananas yourself. Or maybe a banana comes in the gamebox. However, I think the key to maintain corruption is to feed the people with bananas. Plenty of bananas, no corruption.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:37   #36
Flanker
Warlord

By the way, moominparatrooper, are you from Finland? Tove Jansson, R.I.P... Really cool nick IMO.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:24   #37
OldCharlie
Settler

Certainly, I will buy it as soon as possible. They are always on the leading edge. Can't wait to find out how they are going to do the Multi-player. Also it will be interesting to see other Civ's whether they can be used at the same time or instead of one another or randomly. I'll put up with a few bugs, because I know they will fix them ASAP. They have done a good job supporting the Civ III release.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:56   #38
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 18:58
It depends on what civs are included in it. If it includes civs that I never play like the Inca, Ethiopians, and Sioux, but excludes civs that I like to play like the Spanish, Vikings, and Koreans, then NO!

Also, if the multiplayer and other options suck according to posters here on this forum, then no.

I may pick it up for $19.99 later though, but I don't expect to buy it for $29.99 if it doesn't look good to me.

There is no way, however, I'm paying $39.99 for an add-on to a unfinished game. In fact, I should get a rebate for being suckered into buying Civ 3.

REBATE!
Old May 3, 2002, 14:10   #39
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
In all honesty, I don't think I will get the XP. I downloaded the latest patch, installed it, but have yet to even start a game with it.

Do you mean that you are still playing an old game? (I am)
... Just been too busy?
... "I need a break?"
... or "it has become a ?"
Old May 3, 2002, 15:52   #40
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:58
I might buy the xp, but I am going to wait untill a lot of people on here buy and try it out and see what they have to say. I would just becarefull. If they charge anther $50 dollar for, I am never going to get untill the price comes down to $20 or so. I dont want to buy the same game again, with just a few extra little cool things they added to it. I want to be able just to buy the added stuff and add to my existing Civ3 game, or get a rebate in the mail for already have Civ3. I like Civ 3, but it has not given me as much fun as Civ2. That is because it is the new stuff they added did not keep the fun in Civ3 that long. I already played Civ 2 a lot, and kind got tried of it, and was hoping they would release a new Civ game that I could enjoy, with lots of new stuff. I still like playing Civ3, but once I get into the idustrial age and beyond, the fun leaves the game sometimes, and sometimes not. That is just my thoughts on the matter.
Old May 3, 2002, 16:37   #41
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
By the way, moominparatrooper, are you from Finland? Tove Jansson, R.I.P... Really cool nick IMO.
Nä, jag är svensk. Jag bara typ diggar mumintroll, ba.

To all our foreign friends; please disreagard this glaring breach of the Universal Communication Protocol of The New World Order. It won't be repeated, honest.
Old May 3, 2002, 16:43   #42
Flanker
Warlord

Quote:
Haha, där ser man! Ja, det är alltid trevligt att träffa på landsmän här, det finns ju några stycken... Som sagt, kul nick.

As written before, sorry for the Swedish folks... I just wanted to write a few words in this beautiful language. However, I don´t know if I could really promise it won´t be repeated by me...
Old May 4, 2002, 00:36   #43
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper

Did you just call someone a troll?

Old May 4, 2002, 00:42   #44
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar

Not just a troll, but a digger troll.
Old May 4, 2002, 02:38   #45
Flanker
Warlord

Quote:
Well, where do we have notyoueither on this thread? A troll is a troll is a troll... However, these moomintrolls are pretty cool and cute though. I still wait to see one in a parachute...
Old May 4, 2002, 07:32   #46
moomin
King

Your local friendly regular troll detector, I.
Old May 4, 2002, 08:31   #47
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 23:58
they were the moomins, they were the moomins,
la lala la lala la la la la

anyway, i will buy this pack if it has enough new materials, although i didnt with civ 2 and got left out because lots of scenarios and mods i coulnt get, although with civ3 there arent senarios anyway!

i didnt buy smac alien crossfire either, i had had enough sci fi.
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old May 4, 2002, 09:05   #48
moomin
King

But SMAX was a good expansion set. It still reigns my hard drive. What will all that tweaking and all those interesting options there are so many differnt things to try and explore even after you've learnt how to soundly whup AI behind each and every time.

I do wish Brian Reynolds would abandon that Yet-Another-RTS he's doing and bring us a true sequel - BRAX? I wouldn't, at this point trust that to whoever Sid farms out his games to these days.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:30   #49
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Mostly it depends on cost and release date. If it is relatively inexpensive ($20US or less) and released near enough to my birthday or Christmas, I'll wait and let a relative buy it as a gift.

Anything over $30US and I'll have to wait for a good sale or start hitting My Points alot to build upto a $50US gift card for Circuit City (not my favoraite place to buy games, to retail in price).

I am not gong to shell out any of my money for features (MP and scenarios) that were promised in the initial release.
Old May 4, 2002, 17:38   #50
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Nope, I´m not spending another 25$ on this game. It looks like a rip-off to me

It won´t be like SMACX, now that was good expansion
Old May 4, 2002, 17:42   #51
Hoot
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Firaxis stuck me with a beta $50 game last November, along with a useless idiotic "Strategy Guide".

Hell will freeze before I buy another Firaxis Civ 3 product - unless I get a $25 rebate for Civ 3.

Anyone who gives Firaxis more money is a sucker. Some of those who say laughably that "money is no object" sound like Firaxis shills.
You're only a sucker if you didn't get what you expected when you bought it. I'll buy it, and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I didn't agree with all the Firaxis bashers on Civ3, and probably won't on the XP. Civ3 gave me countless hours of enjoyment, at a much cheaper price than any movie I've paid to see. I'll buy it, and if I get 10 to 20 hours of enjoyment out of it (a conservative estimate, I'm sure), I'll be happy. If I can't get it to run, and knew I wouldn't be able to before I bought it, I'd be a sucker. Otherwise I'm just a sucker if I listen to people like you, Coracle.
Old May 4, 2002, 18:01   #52
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
I voted banana too, is this a swedish thing
Old May 4, 2002, 18:05   #53
Zoid
inmate

Quote:

Well, maybe you´ll have to add the bananas yourself. Or maybe a banana comes in the gamebox. However, I think the key to maintain corruption is to feed the people with bananas. Plenty of bananas, no corruption.
In the banana republic bananas should show up everywhere on the map, and not just in the stinking jungle IMO.
Old May 4, 2002, 18:07   #54
Taxidopolis
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:58
I'll maybe buy it, maybe not.
Thing is for me will be the MP option....how well it performs and such. I have a fairly good system but given the slowness of Civ3 anyway I'm doubtful of MP being doable against several players so I'll wait and see what the forums say before purchasing.

Thumbs up to Firaxis anyway for getting it together after the initial bllox-up with the rushed release.

Taxi
Old May 4, 2002, 18:34   #55
Cesa
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
I do wish Brian Reynolds would abandon that Yet-Another-RTS he's doing and bring us a true sequel - BRAX? I wouldn't, at this point trust that to whoever Sid farms out his games to these days.
Hmm, Brax, isn't that a fish?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X I voted banana too, is this a swedish thing
Are you from sweden Kamrat? There seems to be quite a lot of us around here.
Old May 4, 2002, 19:00   #56
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa

Hmm, Brax, isn't that a fish?
Yes, but it´s called bream in english

Quote:
Are you from sweden Kamrat? There seems to be quite a lot of us around here.
Yes, I am from Sweden (Göteborg). But I haven´t seen that many swedes apart from Flanker, Snapcase, Gramphos, Juggernaut, Sten Sture, Moominparatrooper and Usually Insane. But then I rarely step outside the OT forum...
Old May 5, 2002, 00:53   #57
Flanker
Warlord

Quote:
I voted banana too, is this a swedish thing
Actually, I didn´t vote for the bananas, because I thought I would be able to do it myself by buying some at ICA... Anyway, I guess Sweden is one of the most banana-eating countries in Europe actually. And yes, there are a lot of Swedes here, but not everyone have written their countries in their presentation. There was a thread somewhere where you could vote which country you where from, don´t remember where, but Sweden was in a pretty good position.
Länge leve Sverige!
Old May 5, 2002, 05:50   #58
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 01:58
There's ton of Swedes around here, but it seems like I'm the only dane around here...I guess I'm the only person in Denmark who plays Civ games!

Btw, everybody's talking about that SMAC expansion, but how was that? What did they include since it was that great?
Old May 5, 2002, 05:55   #59
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:58
Where is the "I'll buy it if players I trust say its good" option?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 5, 2002, 07:11   #60
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I will probably buy it a day or two after it comesout, by then many people on here will have gotten it and will have posted up tehir opinions of it, so then I'll know if i want to buy it or not!!