Old May 2, 2002, 16:48   #1
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Taking over the world.
Is it possible on a large map with 12 civilizations? I am pretty sure it is, but I think I would have to be at war 100% of the game. I have tried to do this, but inevitably, I find myself lagging behind the other civs in culture and technology, so I take a more peaceful approach. If I don't the rest of the world gets cavalry before I do, and I watch my empire crumble.
Old May 2, 2002, 17:53   #2
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 17:59
Its possible on regent at least. i wiped out 2 very very early then stayed fairly peaceful until tanks. wiped out another small civ. made mad rush to modern armor, upgraded 200 tanks and within 6 turns owned the world, except for the 20 city russian island. the key to the end victory was to get everyone fighting everyone so that they werent all against me only.
Old May 2, 2002, 17:59   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 23:59
How does anyone have enough time ??!! It takes me nearly 30mins a turn on my large map - regent -12 civs - all victory conditions disabled except conquest, and perhaps 10mins for all the AI moves... All the civs attack as it is the only way to win. I'll be playing this one for weeks...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 2, 2002, 18:00   #4
spy14
Prince

Im currently trying something similar... huge map, regent, archiepelago, 10 civs. Unless you get an early break and crush a weaker civ, it aint gonna happen. I altered the map in the editor to give myself more land and time to develop than the AI, and am now nearly twice the size of my nearest rivals (year is 1500)... and still conquest is nigh on impossible. A couple of civs i could crush, but you still end up with cultural reversion and a disjointed empire... could raze cities and take settlers with my invasion force but you start to end up with a logistical nightmare, a decent invasion force is hard to organise it seems.
Old May 2, 2002, 18:01   #5
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Playing actually in Regent, 16 civs large map.
We feel perhaps a little overpopulated, but it's fun to have something which looks like a real mess of colors and imbricated cities

It's 1550, industrial era, and for now no civ has been eliminated

Only annoying point : the strange same feeling that there is the double standard system between AI and the player.
Old May 3, 2002, 01:30   #6
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
In my current game, I am once again making an attempt at world domination. The zulu's actually started it, but due to my superior intellect, I am crushing them with Longbowmen. My Great Library is obsolete now though, so I worry can I get the needed advances to continue the campaign? Chivalry is not too far away. I will try for that, and continue with an army of knights.
Old May 3, 2002, 07:23   #7
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I always play on standard sized continent maps with 8 civs. If there is someone sharing the same landmass as me, I'll crush them almost right away. Expansion can be turned down somewhat until the end of the war against them.

Once I get my whole continent, I'll lie low for a while, build up infrastructure, build a fleet of ships, and explore the world.

When I encounter my opponents, I'll get their world maps, figure out the strongest one, and enlist the weaker ones in my war against the strongest. I will then systematically take down the strongest opponents left, right up until only one opponent remains. I will then crush them.

I only just make it before the calender hits New Year's Day 2050. Though sometimes, I do fail and have to settle for a histographic victory.

Well, that is always my approach anyway.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:22   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

i never play with more than 7 AI players, and since i am new (And don't want my game to finish for no seeable reason) i only have conquest on!