Old May 2, 2002, 23:44   #1
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colonization at chips and bits
Just saw that Colonization is at Chips and bits for $9.95. i'm suprised that it is still for sale anywhere.

link

Last edited by MarkG; May 5, 2002 at 09:07.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2002, 00:07   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How else are you going to get it when it is IDSA protected?
Jethro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2002, 00:11   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal

I don't know, steal it from a friend?

I was just suprised that a game that old is still for sale, it doesn't suprise you? When's the last time the game was manufactured, anyway? I would think quite a long time ago.
Old May 4, 2002, 17:54   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:00
Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
It IS?!?!? Nobody try to search for sites to download it then - there's no point because of course there are no such sites.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2002, 20:43   #5
Jethro83
Prince

That IDSA protection did surprise me. But that was a few months ago. I thought it was common knowledge.

Anyway, it sucks, because it just goes to show how petty the distributer of this game is.
Old May 5, 2002, 16:35   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:00
Well. They need to make money somehow.
If they didn't make money- there would be no games.
Old May 6, 2002, 00:09   #7
Jethro83
Prince

I've got no problem trying to make a living off computer games, when they are current.

Colonization is NOT current.

Though it is a classic, and belongs up there in the annals alongside the best, they should stop charging for it, and let sites like Home of the Underdogs offer it for download.

There's plenty of other games... current games that they can be making money with.
Old May 6, 2002, 01:35   #8
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:00
Just FYI,downloading Colonization and any other "abandoned" game is a illegal act, you're doing the same crime as if you downloaded Civ 3 of some 0-day warez site....
Sad but true
Old May 6, 2002, 03:25   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:00
But less likely to result in any sort of legal action (not that they would do anyway unless it was on a grand scale).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2002, 03:34   #10
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
But less likely to result in any sort of legal action (not that they would do anyway unless it was on a grand scale).
Legal Action?? Nooooo...
Anyway...Underdogs is not the only nor the best abandonware site...more likely the most exposed site that deals with old games....you can d/l Colonization here if you decide not to buy it...
Old May 6, 2002, 03:35   #11
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Who would sue over 10 bucks? But, people shoud buy it, if it is possible, which it is in this case. but if not, oh well. i would probably dl it, if i didn't still have it on cd.
Old May 6, 2002, 03:37   #12
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by da_jaymz

Legal Action?? Nooooo...
Anyway...Underdogs is not the only nor the best abandonware site...more likely the most exposed site that deals with old games....you can d/l Colonization here if you decide not to buy it...
didn't you just say that it was illegal to dl it? I thought you were criticizing those who did it, guess I was wrong. I will check out that link to see what else is on there, thanks.
Old May 6, 2002, 03:41   #13
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

Legal Action?? Nooooo...
da_jaymz:

that site is sweet: ultima 1-8, civ and col. lot of damn good games. thanks for the link.
Old May 6, 2002, 05:35   #14
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

didn't you just say that it was illegal to dl it? I thought you were criticizing those who did it, guess I was wrong. I will check out that link to see what else is on there, thanks.
Abandonware is always illegal...Abandonware games are games not sold nor supported by its publisher , but the copyright stands for 75 years...so in the eyes of the law an abandonware site is the same as an 0-day warez site....
Old May 6, 2002, 08:53   #15
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:

Abandonware is always illegal...Abandonware games are games not sold nor supported by its publisher , but the copyright stands for 75 years...so in the eyes of the law an abandonware site is the same as an 0-day warez site....
Sissy Law Number 1. Do you really expect ANYBODY to take that kind of law seriously? Abandonware is, as you say... not sold or supported by the publisher. Why leave it locked away from people for 75 years though? If everybody obeyed this sissy law, by the time they are allowed to d/load it (expiry of copyright), it will have been long forgotten. Especially if it isn't sold anywhere anymore either. The reason abandonware is called ABANDONware is because the publisher could no longer give a crap, and abandon it. What happens then, just happens. Abandonware games shouldn't be illegal, because the people who would be at loss, who would be hurt by the concept from any loss of sales really don't care.

If it isn't being sold, it seems senseless that such a law as you describe would be enacted. It is NOT the same as a 0-day warez site, because 0-day warez sites are offering for nothing games still being sold. This is when the publishers actually give a damn.
Old May 11, 2002, 19:00   #16
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
ojala lo encuentre en España
Old May 12, 2002, 12:40   #17
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Colonization is NOT current.
But if they still sell it you should buy it.
If a game is not avaliable to buy in any venue, I very reluctantly support abandonware.

However, It is illegal to download.

-
Alfonso- usas la machina de traducator
-
Just wondering, what do you hope to find in Spain? Colonization?
Old July 24, 2002, 14:12   #18
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 18:00
I bought a copy of it with Civ 1 several months back, in something called the Explorers pack; both were on one CD. So, it is still available.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2002, 19:15   #19
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I saw a copy of col going for £5.
It wasn't in a box and didn't even come with a manual or even installation instructions.
Old August 7, 2002, 06:03   #20
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Bump
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2002, 19:02   #21
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
saw a copy of col going for £5.
It wasn't in a box and didn't even come with a manual or even installation instructions.
It's not as if you need the manual.
The net has good enough guides.
Old August 16, 2002, 16:09   #22
Kindbud
Chieftain

Abandonkeep
echoing asleepathewheel's comment that http://www.Abandonkeep.com has a strong archive I was really surprised to find some great stuff for the C64, including M.U.L.E. I'm not familiar with Underdogs directly but I gather from reading various posts that they have garned enough attention to attract copyright holders and have had to trim their offerings?? It is a tough call. I DL'ed Colonization last evening and am playing it for the first time. I hardly know how to play but can already tell it is a classic.

Hate to think these old games might be "locked away" and forgotten because companies like Infogrames don't want people to download the game for nothing yet do nothing themselves to make these great games still available. Still, DL'ing colonization was an illiegal act on my part. Sure, I never have to worry about being arrested for that but in the strict sense I broke the law. Seems like these old games could still generate a little profit for their companies. Why doesn't Infogrames offer these oldies for online and immediate purchase for just a couple of bucks? Or take 2 - 4 older games and bundle them for $10. Gamefaqs.com has all the game help most will need to play so documention isn't an issue. I think the debate will rage on for a long time...
Old August 20, 2002, 19:16   #23
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Well you can download it at KAZAA (at least a friend of mine did and KAZAA is legal (more or less).

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote