Old April 7, 2001, 23:13   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Forts and Sensor Arrays...a new idea
I haven't been able to find past threads in regards to a sensor array type improvement ala SMAC. Along those lines I propose an enhancement to the fortification terrain improvement.

Make the fortification a mini-sensor. Not a powerful two square radius like SMAC, but lets say with the invention of astronomy, which also corresponds to collapsable scopes (spy glasses, whatever the name is) a fortication would gain a sight of 1 tile. This would correspond to a sentry in the fortifications. Not any actual defending unit but a caretaker of the fortification, like a lighthouse keeper who would observe the surround lands.

It seems to me that fortifications were not utilized much by human players in Civ2(though over-used by the AI). They were good for chokepoints, but not much else. When someone looks at actual history, fortifications are always built, look at Europe which is almost a checkerboard of old fortifications (if they haven't been leveled), not the huge castles, but small towers. Giving fortifications a secondary role would make them more useful therefore utilized more and make the game more historically accurate without cutting down on the fun-factor which is more important to Civ.

In summary, a fortification would give its normal defense bonus to only its actual tile, but following the discovery of astronomy, or some optical advance, would give it a sight bonus, clearing the fog of war only, not any extra defense. Also this effect should only be active for fortifications within your borders or within your control (ie enemy territory, but occupied by your unit). A further idea would be the extension of the sight bonus to two tiles with the introduction of radar, or flight, even in the Civil War, hot air balloons were used for observation.

A side thought would be the modification of this bonus based on altitude. For example a fort in the mountains should easily be able to see into a grassland below without astronomy, or be 2 squares with only astronomy. Or a fort in grasslands shouldn't be able to see into neighboring mountains.
Old April 8, 2001, 05:41   #2
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010

I think this is a great idea, especially your last comment about having the bonus variable according to altitude and other terrain factors. For instance, I imagine a fort in a forest would not receive any sight bonus...

[This message has been edited by Ilkuul (edited April 08, 2001).]
Old April 8, 2001, 15:12   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:56
Yes! This reminds me of the Listening Post tile improvement in CTP1&2. I really liked it. I gave you a few turns "heads-up" on any opponents approaching your civilization. I do hope that CIV3 has a similiar tile improvement!
Old April 9, 2001, 11:58   #4
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:56
perhaps if there is a unit present than the sight radius of the fort is increased by 1 (or 1/2), but only into unobscured flatlands.

The same rules should apply to airbases (and naval bases?) as well.

To determine ownership the last unit to end their turn in the fort/base is the owner of the base, and thus gains the sight bonus.
Old April 10, 2001, 00:43   #5
Pingu:
Chieftain

I used forts alot in Civ 2, much more than in SMAC or CTP. The great thing about them was the lack of unhappiness if you had units stationed in a fortress near enough to a city of yours.

As a democracy, but before Blitzcreig warfare with tanks and stuff, have your stack of cannons and Riflemen and enough engineers to build a fortress in 1 turn. March them up to an enemy city near a recently captured one, build a fortress and that way you've got a protected stack, ready to hit the city in the next turn. Great way to sweep through a densley citied island, and as your stacks are protected you rarely lose a unit...

Once I'd got beyond Riflemem, and Leonardo won't upgrade them, I'd keep the units in sentry forts all over the place.

I'd say my strategy was dependant on lots of engineers building forts all over...

Pingu:
Old May 1, 2001, 09:05   #6
Il principe
Settler

I like the idea.