Old May 1, 2001, 06:26   #91
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Sid is the best game designer on the planet. If anyone can make anything work it is him. If it turns out to suck, Sid is 'man enough' to take it out of the game. It's SID we are talking about!!! While I do not like the idea of unique units, I'll see what Sid comes up with. I know I'll buy it, since Sid has never disappointed me.

PRECISELY! And I don't think Imran is some brainless fool following a Cult of Sid. There is a track record here of AMAZING often ground-breaking games to Sid's name for goodness sake. If anybody deserves the wait and see attitude, it's absolutely Sid.

Old May 1, 2001, 14:33   #92
Fierz
Settler

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't see the problem with civ-specific units. It brings a bit more colour in to the game: you can or you have to play with every civ a bit different. In CIV 2 it didn't matter which civ you played. You could play thr French like the German or the Zulu,... in the same way. Now I hope and think this would be different.
Old May 1, 2001, 15:03   #93
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
quote:

Originally posted by Fierz on 05-01-2001 02:33 PM
I don't see the problem with civ-specific units. It brings a bit more colour in to the game: you can or you have to play with every civ a bit different. In CIV 2 it didn't matter which civ you played. You could play thr French like the German or the Zulu,... in the same way. Now I hope and think this would be different.

Sure, you could play the french just like the germans. But you could also play the french in a zillion different ways. If civ specific traits are introduced, when I choose french, I bind myself to a narrow strategy.

Old May 1, 2001, 15:16   #94
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Who says? So the French have a different looking soldier than the Germans. Will that change the game too much? Graphics of units? After all, Firaxis didn't say they are totally unique in stats.
Old May 1, 2001, 15:18   #95
Sirotnikov
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 04-30-2001 10:13 PM
I understand your point. But how often does the COMP play a different strategy? For the most part, those 64 civs are played by the COMP exactly the same way most every game.

Firstly, it's not completely correct as different civ had different agendas (militaristic, expansionist, rational etc).
Secondly, look at my suggestion below.

quote:

Sure, if we all played against each other, I'd be on your side. But I want computer opponents with different tactics AND different units (to a reasonable degree) to keep ME working to watch them closely and adjust my tactics accordingly.

Sure, but then, if there are hard coded civ specific traits it'll be boring, as you will always know that if the germans are playing, they will ahve a panzer unit, and the americans will have a F16 and the russians will have a big tedy bear which chokes you to death

This will always repeat itself.

My suggestion:
What I have been suggesting is that we have a big pool of historical leaders, say 5 for each civ, which will be randomly chosen for each AI civ, and will lead the civ according to thier characteristic.
To prevent further boredom, every once in a while, a leader is overthrown and another leader comes instead with different tactics and agendas. It will often happen unannounced. This will create the big / small civs gameplay, as civs will rise and fall according to their leader's strategy, which will change a couple of times through out a single game.

This is what will make the game interesting, non repetitive, a challenge etc.

If each leader will bring specific units... i'll cope. But to have the germans ALWAYS stick to the same strategy is extremely boring.

And look at your own style of gameplay. Suppose you're going for total conquest. And around 1000 AD ou notice you're not large enough (of course it's the game's fault as you were on a far away island and your special unit is panzer tanks ) and

quote:

Now, if you never want YOUR civ (or COMP civs) to have any unique bonuses or units, I am more than sure Firaxis will give you the option to turn it off. If they don't that would be a mistake considering the majority opinion.

I agree.
Mainly I think, that if they implement leaders, or civ-spefcific traits / strats, they should only affect AI. The thing I hate most is when I'm told what to do and I am being limited. That's why SMAC didn't servive the demo and later warez version and was quickly deleted.

quote:

I still venture to say, though, you might darn well enjoy the way Sid pulls this off. Only time will tell...

Bah... I won't buy anything as silly as out-of-the box civ-specific traits.
I'll probably download it illegaly, prove to myself it sucks, and delete it.

Forever will i mourn for Civ 3.

Old May 1, 2001, 15:19   #96
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Imran, you really think anyone would make such a fuss over civ specific graphics ?
Old May 1, 2001, 16:38   #97
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

No, so I wonder why you people are.

How much info do we have as of yet?