Old July 29, 2002, 21:29   #91
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, you are correct. I never noticed it, but now that I think about it I had seen it. I just never gave it any thought. I designed a ship by just removing the bombs. I finished the research and came back and it looks like that ship and possibly some others had changed? The scout design now has lasers and I would bet they did not have them at t40 time as I alway drop them from my scouts.

Ok, I started a new. Lets see what happens to this one. I will drop one down the line and one as soon as war is declared.

Last edited by vmxa1; July 29, 2002 at 22:22.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2002, 21:36   #92
vmxa1
Deity

Here it is.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save1.sav (203.1 KB, 5 views)
Old July 29, 2002, 21:49   #93
vmxa1
Deity

T46 or there abouts.

I just ran this one up to the point were I researched lasers and the same thing happened. The scout that had no weapons, now has lasers. The cruiser that had a few nucs, now has a number of slots filled? Not sure if this always happens or only if I leave the lasers after a number of other things are researched. Just another friendly bug, not to worry. I had noticed this before, but just thought, I was mistaken. I recall redesigning scouts in the past and seeing it now had lasers in the design. I had always figured, I had not dumped them, but in fact when the game starts they have bombs, not lasers, you have not learned about lasers at that time. I should have caught on before, it was just a nit, so I did not.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save3.sav (203.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by vmxa1; July 29, 2002 at 22:19.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:41   #94
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 18:02
I wouldn't mind if the loadouts just changed, but in mine the actual ship slot dissippears. I saved one when I met the 'coids. See if they are gone for you too.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save1.gam.sav (203.1 KB, 1 views)
Old July 29, 2002, 22:45   #95
vmxa1
Deity

I did not notice, but if it happend to you it must have to me as well. I do not use all the slots for weapons and only for titans do I use the specials slot to the limit as a rule. I have ran so many games the last few days, I am not sure of much. I do know that one of them had the sillies making life extremely hard.
Old July 29, 2002, 22:56   #96
vmxa1
Deity

Wow,that is a new one on me. You are missing the entire set of ship designs, except for the one called attack ship. Did you use that editor you mentioned before to bring in some ship designs? If so that may have corrupted something.
Old July 30, 2002, 02:12   #97
vmxa1
Deity

Well, I ran another test and it seems as soon as you learn Lasers, the designs are redone. I would not be surprised to fine out that other items trigger this as well. We know that sheilds and armor and engines trigger this and at time will cause the design to be illegal (too large).
Old July 30, 2002, 10:44   #98
Garth Vader
King

Wow,that is a new one on me. You are missing the entire set of ship designs, except for the one called attack ship. Did you use that editor you mentioned before to bring in some ship designs? If so that may have corrupted something.

Yeah that was my complaint. It was actually the scout that was left. I redesigned.

I don't know anything about bringing in saved ship designs so, no I didn't do that.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:14   #99
vmxa1
Deity

Freaky. I just tried changing the name of a design and it did not seem to mind. I had never tried that before, so I am not sure how it would behave. So you just selected a design and changed the name, did you change the type as well? IOW, the ship called ATTACK is now a destroyer, is it not? It was created from a scout, right? I tried that and no problem. I found a bunch of ships once that had been designed by someone. After much fumbling around, I found out how they made them using an editor. With Corion2 you can import any existing design into the game to replace the ones that come standard. One was a take off on DSN ships. I firgured that one may import the designs to save the hassle of redesining them each time you play. That is fine, but one problem is that you can import and build ships that you would otherwise not have the tech for at that time, IOW cheat. I know people like to use editors to make customized games, but they have been known to have defects and of course Moo2 has plenty of its own bugs.
In short, I do not know what happen and so far have not been able to recreate it.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:47   #100
Garth Vader
King

You've never renamed your ships? That's odd. It's actually a cruiser by the way.

I tried a bunch of things before I got the laser tech to see if anything would work. I tried removing all the weapons from all your designs, building them at planets, nothing seemed to work.

It doesn't really matter. I had just wanted to try that game and see if I could do better than you. I thought it was an interesting race, I haven't played demo in a long time. I think I was in pretty good shape in that save I gave you, I tried playing it further and picked a fight with the 'coids to see how that would go.

That wasn't a good idea, as you probably already knew

The AI always has a good time with anti-matter torps.

I'll have to try some of your other saves. You always seem to design interesting races.

I am playing Warcraft 3 right now so I won't do too much else.
Old July 30, 2002, 18:00   #101
vmxa1
Deity

Here is one right up your alley. UniTel, just testing a bit to see if it is the easy race to play. I would have to say it is right up there.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save1.sav (203.1 KB, 0 views)
Old July 30, 2002, 18:02   #102
vmxa1
Deity

War started, I think it was around 6-10 turns befre this.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save5.sav (203.1 KB, 2 views)
Old July 30, 2002, 21:43   #103
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
You've never renamed your ships?
I'm a bit surprised as well... I always rename my ship designs to

[Size][Armour][MaxPrimary]

So a Battleship with Zortium Armour and 20 heavy gauss cannons would be BZ20.

It makes it just a tad easier to keep track of just what you've got out there, I think.
Old July 30, 2002, 23:32   #104
vmxa1
Deity

The only game I change names of ships is Space Empires. I use a scheme that denotes what they are as well. DD-I2 and maybe modified ones such as DD-I2-01. The first is for the type and the second is for the engine.
The reseaon I do not in Moo2, is I will only have one type most of the time. early I will have a scout and maybe a cruiser (CA). Then I will have BB's. I see no problem with the idea, I just never needed.
Space empires, you are getting new engines and they are not auto updated, so I will want to know which ones have the latest engines. Sometimes I will add another category for weapon types. Since it can take a long time to get a shipyard to upgrade, it may be awhile beofre they get upgraded. I may have a repair ship with the fleet that could do that, but often it is busy with damage or making a colony ship or just keeping up. Funny thing is at the end of the tech tree, I can name them plainly. Of course you can have many versions at the same time, unlike Moo2, where you can only have the set number of classes.
Old July 31, 2002, 10:51   #105
Garth Vader
King

That UniTel game was pretty easy, I played until I took out the humans, which wasn't very long.

The interesting thing about playing from your saves is seeing what tech you get. Each time I have thought "Why doesn't he have (blank) tech". First game it was hydroponic farm, this one it was spaceport and fusion drive.

Also the ship designs. I almost never use missile boats. I was able to use yours effectively, although I am only glad you built them because of the humans MB.

Of course you can have many versions at the same time, unlike Moo2, where you can only have the set number of classes.

You can have a number of versions in Moo2 as well. If I redesign my attack ship when I get a new tech, the old attack ships are still around. Hell, you can design a ship, start it building, redesign it to something else and build that second design at another planet, all with the same ship slot.
Old July 31, 2002, 13:38   #106
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
The interesting thing about playing from your saves is seeing what tech you get. Each time I have thought "Why doesn't he have (blank) tech". First game it was hydroponic farm, this one it was spaceport and fusion drive.

Also the ship designs. I almost never use missile boats. I was able to use yours effectively, although I am only glad you built them because of the humans MB.

Of course you can have many versions at the same time, unlike Moo2, where you can only have the set number of classes.

You can have a number of versions in Moo2 as well. If I redesign my attack ship when I get a new tech, the old attack ships are still around. Hell, you can design a ship, start it building, redesign it to something else and build that second design at another planet, all with the same ship slot.
Understand that I am not using my "normal" game, I am just running a trial. I often go with farms, but in the long run, two more pop is better. You can put one on farming to get the extra food and the other to do prod or sci. It won't be long before you have more food than you can use. The Bio makes small rich planets very nice.
Spaceport is my norm, but I felt I needed the fighter garrison for some of the matches. That may or may not have been wise, Hey I never said I was perfect or even sensible. But with no allies and no trades and no exchanges and no MB/BS, I felt I could not wait for GB.
I am not sure about the drive as I alway pick that, but I think I did accidently select the augment, thinking it was the ship drive, sorry, careless.
MB are not my favs either. I tend to make 2 or 3 to allow some semblence of strength, until I can start making BB. Beams are not good for me very early as I have no computer tech. The MB cpupled with a scout allow me to take down a ship and retreat or a star base. In most space games, I like to wreck ships when ever I get the changes on the assumption that it hurts them to lose it. It means one less to face later and it cost them production to replace it.
I was not clear, I was talking about design templates. You can have any number of ships styles in existance, but you can only build form a set number of templates. This not a big problem, but it could be useful to make an other wise obsolete ship for a specific use.
I am not running a creative race to see if it is easier than I remembered.
Old August 1, 2002, 00:59   #107
vmxa1
Deity

Here is the Creative game. I messed up and save well after the war started, sorry. I managed to get in my usual big hole, but with the tech all mine, I will be moving out soon. Several attacks at the planet, near suicidal since, I have MB and garrisons. Now I have BS on most planets.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save1.sav (203.1 KB, 2 views)
Old August 1, 2002, 01:00   #108
vmxa1
Deity

The war.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav save2.sav (203.1 KB, 0 views)
Old August 1, 2002, 10:50   #109
Garth Vader
King

Beams are not good for me very early as I have no computer tech.

That's why I always take the battle scanner, and use continous on my beams early.

I'll be away this weekend but I'll have a look at your game when I get back.
Old August 1, 2002, 15:55   #110
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, time for me to admit another mistake. I now will concede that Creative is the second easiest trait. All traits can be a loser if you get an unfortunate location with a strong aggressor close by. After turn 150 I think that creative starts to take over as the easiest. I have always said it was strong from middle game on. I tend to get hurt the most if Sillies are my nearest race, this may be due to them being aggressive. I also note that with repulsive trait, it is harder to get to turn 200 as no one with deal with you and wars are hard to avoid. If I do not use REP, I can get time to build up and maybe make a few deals. No deals occur unless you have pounded them first and even then it is rare if rep.
Old August 1, 2002, 23:49   #111
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if the loadouts just changed, but in mine the actual ship slot dissippears. I saved one when I met the 'coids. See if they are gone for you too.
I was just trying to create a test for the debate on HA and wanted to create a ship using the editor and boom. I lost all my ship designs. The two existing ships are still in the game, but the design are gone? Oh well. I just gave the player lots of money so it could design and then buy the ship for the test. So far I have not found a good enough battle. A few lasers were too much for thier 6 fusion beams.
Old August 6, 2002, 07:15   #112
Aqa
Settler

Local Time: 02:02
I just started playing Moo2 again, as I didn't have better things to do. My race picks were
Uni
Tele
+spy
-food
-gc
Goal was not so much to make an überrace than to make a fun(and different from which I used to play) game to play.
Old August 7, 2002, 12:43   #113
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqa
I just started playing Moo2 again, as I didn't have better things to do. My race picks were
Uni
Tele
+spy
-food
-gc
Goal was not so much to make an überrace than to make a fun(and different from which I used to play) game to play.
Let me know how you did with the minus food. I have never had the courage to try that.
Old August 7, 2002, 13:05   #114
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 19:02
Hey, I know that it makes the game less fun, but have you guys tried picking only negatives such that you end up with -10 in race modifiers and playing on impossible under the most difficult galaxy settings?
Old August 7, 2002, 15:53   #115
vmxa1
Deity

I have played with 34 picks left over, but not at impossible level. I doubt that I could do that and win. I was doing it for score and you need to eliminate races yourself.
Old August 8, 2002, 02:14   #116
Aqa
Settler

Local Time: 02:02
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

Let me know how you did with the minus food. I have never had the courage to try that.
So far it's going okay, much thanks to the native planet system I found just next to my HW And unification bonus and the food minus negate each other nicely. And after I get some other race enslaved there should be no problems anymore. Even tough sometimes food minus can mean an awful start, it's still one of my favorite minuses(try a cyber race with food minuses...)
Old August 8, 2002, 11:02   #117
Garth Vader
King

try a cyber race with food minuses

I do that quite frequently. It's probably not as good as some of the other races posted here, but the food problem is solved fairly quickly with the hydro farms feeding 4 people each. If you get one native planet it can feed just about everybody else.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:48   #118
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

VMXA1,

What do you mean by 34 picks left over. I thought that -10 was the max???
Old August 8, 2002, 12:50   #119
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
VMXA1,

What do you mean by 34 picks left over. I thought that -10 was the max???
You take -10 picks and that is added to the 10 you are allowed at the start and you now have 20 picks you can use. You get 4 for the morphing. I forget how the other 10 get in, but I know that you can have 3.40 times score. Oh, it is only 24 picks, it is 100+ 240 for the picks for 340%. Sorry I miss spoke it 340%, 24 picks.
Old August 8, 2002, 14:45   #120
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Are you only allowed 10 at the start, or is that what it takes to get 100%. I though that if you picked more it would decrease your score 90% for 11 picks, etc. I don't remember trying to pick more than 10 to try it though...hmmm. I'll have to try that.