View Poll Results: How long do wait to buy a game? Why?
I buy ASAP. Even though Ican't afford to throw money away. 0 0%
I buy ASAP. It's not a big deal to me if some purchases are a waste of money. 2 9.52%
I really want the game ASAP, but becuase I can't waste money, I wait for some reviews. 6 28.57%
I'm pretty diffident about games. I just wait for the reviews and don't mind not having the game for a while 10 47.62%
I don't buy games 2 9.52%
I stuff strawberries and bananas down my gullet 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2002, 22:30   #1
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How long do you wait to buy a game and why?
When a big game (like civ3) comes out, do you buy it ASAP or wait a while? I hear a lot of whining and moaning when people buy games and are dissapointed, but people don't seem to learn. What goes into your calculation of when to buy a game?
Old May 3, 2002, 22:38   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 20:03
Where's the "I steal the games until I decide if I like them enough to reward their makers with my money" option?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 3, 2002, 22:54   #3
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

aaaaah. I forgot that one.

I guess put yourself under the people who wait before buying because they don't want to spend too much money.
Old May 4, 2002, 01:20   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Most of the time I don't really care one way or another about a game (even a lot of games that I cared about at one point in time go under this category, like Civ3 or MoO3). Once in awhile I'll actually care about a game, but will wait for the reviews to come out before purchasing it. The only times I ever buy a game ASAP are when I've got a bit of cash flow, I've been happy with the game series in the past, and I've no reason to believe that the game series is deviating so significantly from its previous mechanics that I ought to wait and see if the new title is really an "improvement" or is actually a step backwards.

I preordered Morrowind, something I've never done with a game before, because I was happy with Arena and Daggerfall and saw no reason why I would be unhappy with Morrowind. I might be tempted to preorder Thief 3 or Deus Ex 2 for the same reason, assuming I've got cash flow at that time (something that is less than certain given my less than certain future). I was dubious of Civ 3 and MoO3, as with most other games that I'm moderately or even intensely interested in--I had no real confidence in the final product, so I reserved judgment.
Old May 4, 2002, 01:28   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I might be tempted to preorder Thief 3 or Deus Ex 2
Same here, both Thief 1 and 2 were excellent, Deus Ex was also excellent. Some of the same people are working on the sequals, so all in all I'm confident that they will be great games.

For everything else, I'm gonna see what others say about them.
Old May 4, 2002, 02:35   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I put myself in the diffident category. I should really be in the I don't buy games. Have only bought Civ2...
Old May 4, 2002, 03:21   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

It depends on the game. Some games I follow from early on, and get them as soon as they come out, by preorder, or just run to the store on that day.

Others I wait until I get reviews to see if it is what I want.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 4, 2002, 03:25   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:03
Grog want civ NOW!!!!
Old May 4, 2002, 04:57   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 00:03
The only game I have ever pre-ordered was Civ3 - guess I won't be repeating that venture anytime soon :sad:
I got SE4 pretty much as soon as it came out - since I knew it would not be in the shops and I would not get to see it around - a good game, but it doesn't get much play.

Games like Pool of Radience, BG I & II, Fallout I & II very rapidly went on my 'must buy' list and were probably obtained about a month after release (in the UK)

I have a bad case of the I wants for Morrowind - I believe it is now avaialbe in the US - and probably for Neverwinter Nights - other than this sort of thing I brouse the discount bins ...

(I voted third down the list)

SG[1]
Old May 4, 2002, 05:12   #10
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:03
Depends on the game. If it was something that is said to be an innovator, like Red Faction, or Deus Ex, I'd probably buy it right away (if it could run on my dinosaur). If it is just another one in the pack, like Red Alert 2, I wait until they hit bargain bin prices before I think about getting it.

As for others, I download them off the internet, and try it out. If I like what I see, I buy it.

And others still, are ones I download off abandonware sites (look around for them, there's plenty of old gems around those sites).
Old May 4, 2002, 05:59   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:03
Nowadays I usually want to try out the demos, or preferably, the fulll game. If I like it, then I buy it.
Old May 4, 2002, 06:39   #12
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:03
With a few exceptions, I've never really been up to date with game releases anyway... I usually only notice when I see reviews, demos etc. I then often read quite a few reviews or any sort of opinions about a game (but I don't often actively look for them), if there's a demo I usually play that to death first (if it is worth playing to death of course). Finally I go find the game and see how expensive it is. If I'm in the mood, I'll buy it.
Old May 4, 2002, 15:59   #13
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:03
I download or get a pirate burnt.
Old May 4, 2002, 16:53   #14
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I paid an arm and a leg for Europa Universalis II and Warlords Battlecry II and they were <b>worth it</b>. However, publishers won't see me shelling out $70 CAD for crud like Heroes IV even though I might buy it for $30 CAD.
Old May 5, 2002, 18:45   #15
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
And what about the "I live in Europe so we get most games a month after their release in N America" ?

Actually that's not always a bad thing as it gives you a chance to read US reviews and some games (Trade Empires + EU2 spring to mind) even come pre patched or with extra scenarios.