Old May 3, 2002, 23:42   #1
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Metaliturtle's Rantings (please respond)
Some stuff just been ticking me off, and so I'm writing this rant. First of all, feedback on this forum bugs me, my feedback is always like LOL or this is great, it RARELY says what parts exactly the person liked, it's always, DO THIS, or THIS PART SUCKED, or and I'm friggin' sick of it!! Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of this myself, but I think it needs to stop, in my opinion, feedback should always help the author, and posts like the ones I named should only be for if the author is all, "praise me my loyal storyreaders." My second rant is with people criticising criticism on these boards. I give a simple tip to boost the humor on a story MEANT to be humorous, and I get this "OH he's the friggin greatest author this forum has, YOU can't criticize him." I'M AN AMERICAN, I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT, also if said author is worth his salt, he also realizes that criticism doesn't come from the masses, it comes from one little angry guy, like me, and just because that guy is a post-a-holic, like me, and has the time to say stuff. I'm also all mad because of people who give advice, but don't write stories themselves, ANY famous writer will tell you to always be writing, which is why I have so many projects, I am also a teenager, in the USA, which means I have the attention span of a monkey, so don't get all mad when I don't feel like writing, I have Sh*t to do!! Now you guys can respond to this, and rant back PLEASE, but don't go spouting off individual cases of where I did something that i complained about, because I already admitted to it, and please don't resort to name calling, because the first one to call names, is the one who always loses the argument.
Old May 4, 2002, 09:39   #2
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 00:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree, the best feedback I've had is from a guy on the CivFanatics forum, who replied to Fate of the Dragon. He said good story etc, and then said about good primary character development, but then said the secondary characters were very wooden and one-sided. Instead of p*ssing me off, this made me a lot happier about writing the story, I needed criticism so I can improve how I write! That's why I respect my English teacher, she isn't afraid to say if my latest essay is boring as hell, resulting in that opening chapter "Till Death Do Us Part" that I posted on here that got me an A and helped round my coursework out to a high A. Basically, criticism is good, please criticise us more often! Only constructively though, of course

I agree with the "hurry up and post" messages, I'm 16, and taking my GCSEs very soon(I'm in the UK if you hadn't guessed by my name!), and they can p*ss me right off. But usually I'll post apologies on the story if I can't write for a few days. But people saying "lazy git" and stuff is why I cut back from writing say 17500 words or so every couple of days to about 5000 per night. I'm the first to admit I'm lazy, but some reples on CivFanatics when I had a break cause I felt like sh*t, about me being a lazy so and so etc, just p*ssed me off enough to nearly stop writing that story.

So please don't get on our backs when we stop writing for a while, there's usually a good reason why, and plus we do have lives to lead as well! Just give us a bit of encouragement and add in some criticism, and you may persuade us to write a few paragraphs while the g/f's getting her damned make up on(I could probably write the whole damned story in the time she takes! )

So get off our backs about laziness, but get on them about the bad points in our stories(don't go over the top though, or I'll just tell you to f*ck off and give up on that story, cause things like "this whole story is cr*p, it's boring, you need to make it interesting" would p*ss me off, but "it's a tad boring, could you liven it up?" would be okay).

And I agree about the flaming, I used to visit a board where there was a flamers forum, and it spilled over into the others. It ruined the whole damned place, and annoyed the hell outta me, so I left. If someone criticises an author, you could give your view on the criticism if you think it's incorrect, or back it if you think it's right, but don't start a damned flame war, that's not what this forum is about!

Chris
Old May 4, 2002, 17:07   #3
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
CB has pointed out more stuff that I forgot, and I agree with all of it. This is why I'm now starting the APOLYTON storywriter's union. I will explain on another post