Old May 1, 2002, 16:15   #1
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 18:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 Expansion Pack
I just read about the announced expansion pack for CivIII at gamespot.com. They are adding new cultures and a turnless version of the game for online play. Any idea how that last part will work?
Old May 1, 2002, 16:19   #2
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 20:06
Do you have a link?

Real-time? Egads!
Old May 1, 2002, 16:23   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...863506,00.html
Old May 1, 2002, 16:24   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Infogrames has revealed Civilization III: Play the World, its upcoming expansion pack for Civilization III, Sid Meier's latest turn-based strategy game. The expansion, which will be shown at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles later this month, will include eight new civilizations and leaders along with a number of new single- and multiplayer scenarios and features. In addition, it will include a new "turnless" online mode and other improvements.
Old May 1, 2002, 16:26   #5
ACooper
Prince

Guess that's what been behind all the "no comments".
Old May 1, 2002, 16:39   #6
donarumo
Warlord

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wonder what "other features" entails. Hopefully they will expand on some of the features we already have. - more units, more advances, that sort of thing.

I would personally love another era into the future filled with science fiction type units and advances.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old May 1, 2002, 16:42   #7
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 19:06
is it time to start the firaxis please include the olympic games in civ3 campaign yet?
Old May 1, 2002, 16:47   #8
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 20:06
8 new civs!
Old May 1, 2002, 16:59   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'm optimistic, but I wont be running out the door to buy it.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:05   #10
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:06
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I'm optimistic, but I wont be running out the door to buy it.
Nor I do.
I would like to see Civ3 finished before seeing an XP.
Marketting...
Old May 1, 2002, 17:08   #11
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 16:06
Well this explains why Soren is making more posts all of a sudden.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:26   #12
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

So in the end they make you pay for the multiplayer...Wonderful. Firaxis is going downhill fast.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:37   #13
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Well this explains why Soren is making more posts all of a sudden.
Has he? I must have missed them, I've been over at OT lately.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:39   #14
donarumo
Warlord

Have you not been playing Civ III then? Hey, if you didn't like Civ III, don't buy the expansion.

But if you did like Civ III, if you have a campaign or two running since its release, then reward the guys who made the game. Let them know you liked it and purchase the expansion.

Encourage developers of good games, don't insult them. I really enjoyed CivIII and would buy almost any expansion with some purchasable value as a token of my appreciation.

But, this is just my opinion, your's may be different.

Look, the expansion will probably be well work the money. I don't think Firaxis is going "downhill fast" because they want to add content and functionality to an existing game. NOT supporting a game with patches or expansions after release is going downhill.

Yes, they could have released a free expansion pack or added all of the new stuff into the original game. I mean, if your implying that a company would actually want to make money from its product, I have to agree with you. I mean, shame on them for trying to make a profit. They should give everything away and live in boxes under a bridge - that would be a good business model.

Sorry about the rant, I'm going to go back to hole now.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old May 1, 2002, 17:41   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
So in the end they make you pay for the multiplayer...Wonderful. Firaxis is going downhill fast.
They made you pay for multiplayer in Civ 1 and 2, why would 3 be any different?

Sounds cool. i wonder how the turnless civ works.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:44   #16
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I wonder if they will adjust the max civs to 24, since they are putting in 8 new ones. Would be pretty sweet to play against 23 civs.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:49   #17
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

hmm
Sounds great, can't wait to try out, although there is one bad thing about this. All the annoying people who didn't like Civ3 are going to come back and whine how they don't like the XP once it comes out. But bah, I have faith in them to make a good XP(don't laugh at me for that :P). Turnless civ sounds fun, and 8 more civs will be good too. Maybe we can ask them to fix the animated leaders? Those guys all look like crack addicts.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:50   #18
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

8 new civs! woo hoo!
Old May 1, 2002, 17:58   #19
SpencerH
Emperor

Call me crazy (thats rhetorical), "turnless civ" sounds like "Rise of nations". If thats true, its no wonder there was a lot of "No comments".
Old May 1, 2002, 18:07   #20
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Alright, we have to remember Firaxis is going to try to keep sort of a balance in terms of cultural regions (mediterranean, Asian, Middle East, American, european)
Here's who they will be *ahem*
1. Spain (Europe)
2. Mongols(Asia)
3. Vikings (Europe)
4. Carthage (Mediterranean)
5. Inca (America)
6. Arabs (middle East)
These ones I feel are shoe-ins, based on the Civ 2 Precedent (including Civ 2 text files). There also can't be any more Euro civs, due to their being more than any other culture region in the game already. There won't be more than 2 in the XP.
The last two slots are open to a number of possibilities
Turks (Mediterranean)
Hebrews (middle east)
Ethiopians/Aksumites (Middle east)
Mayans (america)
Koreans (asia)

Now which 2 out of those 5 are chosen is very difficult to say. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old May 1, 2002, 18:09   #21
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Call me crazy (thats rhetorical), "turnless civ" sounds like "Rise of nations". If thats true, its no wonder there was a lot of "No comments".
That would certainly make things interesting, if Civ3 MP went up directly against RoN. Wonder how close are the release dates.

The gamespot art. said that it would be shown at a convention later this month. Checking online, the conference is from May 21-24. Any guesses as to how long from that until it hits the shelves?
Old May 1, 2002, 18:09   #22
Raion
Prince

Link:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...863506,00.html
Old May 1, 2002, 18:20   #23
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:06
Wiglaf, I understand how you are dissapointed about having to wind up paying for MP, because Firaxis did lead us on last summer. Then a mishap occured, and Kelley Gilmore (sp?) (accidentally) leaked out info that MP was not going to be included with the game. Oh I remember the outbreak of anger still! But you knew very well that MP was not going to be included with the game, so complaining that you are now [I]going to have to[I] pay for MP isn't fair. Firaxis has every right to put a price on MP, because as mentioned before, Firaxis let it be known that MP would not be included with the original game.

To those that are already writing off the expansion (mmhh SpencerH), what clear evidence do you have that the expansion will be poor. Granted Civ3 let me down very much at first and still does to this point, but with the resources (time, etc..) Firaxis had the game turned out very well. Now with more time more of us (if not close to most of us) should be happy with the game after this expansion. Firaxis has had a lot of time to perfect MP, so waiting to release it for a while will make it that much better.

Also, yes, it is a marketing scheme but how is that irrelevant? Firaxis makes games to please customers so in turn they can earn a (large) profit. Firaxis does not care about us on a personal basis, which is fine, all they care about is pleasing us to a point where we will continue to provide them with more profit. Not to mention, is it really going to hurt you to dish out another $30-$50?

I for one am very excited to hear what features will be included with the XP and as to when the XP will be released...I'm seriously hoping that it will be before the end of July.

Btw, thanks to the poster (forgot to check name) who posted this information.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old May 1, 2002, 18:33   #24
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

To those that are already writing off the expansion (mmhh SpencerH), what clear evidence do you have that the expansion will be poor. Granted Civ3 let me down very much at first and still does to this point, but with the resources (time, etc..) Firaxis had the game turned out very well. Now with more time more of us (if not close to most of us) should be happy with the game after this expansion. Firaxis has had a lot of time to perfect MP, so waiting to release it for a while will make it that much better.
I havent written off the expansion. I said I was optimistic but not willing to buy it "sight unseen". I think a "demo version" prior to puchase is a sensible approach for me at this point.

Quote:
Also, yes, it is a marketing scheme but how is that irrelevant? Firaxis makes games to please customers so in turn they can earn a (large) profit. Firaxis does not care about us on a personal basis, which is fine, all they care about is pleasing us to a point where we will continue to provide them with more profit. Not to mention, is it really going to hurt you to dish out another $30-$50?
If its good, it wont hurt at all, but in a few months there will be other games out there with serious demands for my time.
Old May 1, 2002, 18:43   #25
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:06
I too won't buy it blindly, but I'm optimistic : I think that Firaxis has learned from its past mistakes, and won't release a rushed XP. Not sure though
Old May 1, 2002, 19:07   #26
korn469
Emperor

well i'm optimistic

i think the #1 thing that hurt civ3 was BR and the rest leaving to form BHG seven months into the development of civ3, i don't blame them for going after the oppertunity but i think that is why civ3 feels rushed, basically all of that wasted time and money hurt the final product, and most likely killed the open beta and the demo

so as long soren, mike, et al don't leave we shouldn't have those problems

plus each patch has made civ3 better, so i have hope it will be good, but we never can tell, and it probably won't be as good as what i hope it is
Old May 1, 2002, 19:23   #27
ixnay
Emperor

So does this mean that civ3.com is going to start up the "civ of the week" again? I'd expect they would after E3...
Old May 1, 2002, 19:27   #28
OneFootInTheGrave
King

we shall see, but an official expansion is good news, this might be Civ 3 as it ought to be

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old May 1, 2002, 19:28   #29
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I too won't buy it blindly, but I'm optimistic : I think that Firaxis has learned from its past mistakes, and won't release a rushed XP. Not sure though
I will actually buy it "blindly". The game was far from perfect when it was released, but they've fixed most parts in it, and they've shown an interest in improving it all along. I don't believe the XP will be perfect out of the box either, but I'm willing to be one of the unofficial "bugtesters" most of us are, 'cause I believe the final product will be great. And also, if everyone was waiting to see the "final" XP (after patches) before buying, they 1. wouldn't get any money, and therefore couldn't afford patching it, and 2. would get less "betatesters", as I assume they will need. (I don't want to sound negative, I guess I do, but I don't want my hopes too high...)

I too think games should work out of the box, I expect it from pretty much everything I buy, but the gaming industry does not (sadly) work like that. I believe the best way to get the game we want is to buy what Firaxis offers for sale, so I will.
Old May 1, 2002, 19:33   #30
Sparky
Warlord

Location: DC, Cleveland, Charlotte, Cimarron. Take your pick!

I already paid for this when I rushed out to buy the Limited Edition. I was a devoted fan. I won't pay for it again.

And I am getting my money's worth...