Old April 4, 2005, 22:55   #181
ouch!
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ten bucks says Vel and TCO are the same person.

Fear the inner turmoil!
Old April 5, 2005, 06:06   #182
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 00:08

That WOULD be interesting, but nay....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 7, 2005, 16:50   #183
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't seen any of the new screenshots on the website, and I must say WOW those look terrific. I love the interface for the city view! I like to take periodics look in the forum to see what's new, and it's been a long time since I last looked. Good luck with the new programmer.

Btw, I have a suggestion on the map view. I think the outlining border with the stone wall and vine it would be less intrusive if that weren't there. It seems to only take up space that would be better suited for seeing more of the map.
Old April 13, 2005, 06:45   #184
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Thanks TW! We're continuing to make progress!

Map view....I know, I know.... and I have to say that the presence of the "viney stuffs" is my idea entirely, and something I've lobbied hard to keep in.

You'll be happy to know, however, that as time goes by, one of the things we've talked about doing is experimenting with making that a "living" part of the interface....having the vines slowly wither and die if you opt to become increasingly infamous....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 21, 2005, 20:39   #185
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
You'll be happy to know, however, that as time goes by, one of the things we've talked about doing is experimenting with making that a "living" part of the interface....having the vines slowly wither and die if you opt to become increasingly infamous....

-=Vel=-
Hey, this is cool.

Been a long time since I last checked this forum, and it is good to know the game is still progressing.

Keep up the good work, guys. I'm really excited to play this game and I think it will be really innovative.
Old April 22, 2005, 06:53   #186
Velociryx
staff

We have had our dry spells, but we're still here, and the excitment level hasn't diminished in me one bit! In fact, I glance at the calendar almost every day to continue watching the countdown!

-=Vel=-
Old April 24, 2005, 02:38   #187
paramir
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I'm exited
Old April 24, 2005, 19:39   #188
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 19:08
Quote:
Originally posted by paramir
I'm exited
where did you enter?

99 days till the programmer starts...
Old April 24, 2005, 21:55   #189
Velociryx
staff

Yes yes! Full steam ahead on those plans, and the countdown continues!

-=Vel=-
Old May 15, 2005, 22:48   #190
paramir
Prince

T - MINUS 46 Days
Old May 16, 2005, 06:40   #191
Velociryx
staff

My Flux Capacitor is broken, and without that, I'm counting 77 days (including today, the rest of this month, all of June, and all of July) But we're drawing closer!

-=Vel=-
Old May 16, 2005, 18:15   #192
paramir
Prince

oops, I calculated it for the first of july
Old June 6, 2005, 08:52   #193
Velociryx
staff

This has been my singular focus, of late.

T - Minus 55 days, and counting...

-=Vel=-
Old June 9, 2005, 17:22   #194
Brinoch
Chieftain

Hey all, been a long time since I've been here -- as in more than two years. A new job, a new city, and a new house, but I'm still interested in Candle'Bre!
Old June 12, 2005, 23:32   #195
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

Hey Vel!

Just a dumb question: if you plan to release the program for free, why not do the coding as an Open Source project?

If you setup the project I am sure many coders will join. You can still have a hired coder to be the coordinator and "project leader" but lots of enthusiast volunteers can do some pretty good coding, see Linux!

Lots of companies make money on services tied to Linux, so the same way you could still make money on it even if it is open source.

(Hint: I would sure find some spare time to contribute myself a few neat hacks to the code... )
Old June 13, 2005, 14:33   #196
Velociryx
staff

Hello again, Master Zso! Excellent thoughts, as always!

On the subject of open source or no, this was one of the first major discussions we had here. At this time, we have decided not to pursue an open source methodology, although I DO preface the above with the phrase "at this time." Open Source does offer some intriguing and compelling advantages, and I'm not ruling it out, down the line, but not at present.

-=Vel=-
PS: But if you're interested in joining us, we'd sure love to have you!
Old July 1, 2005, 17:02   #197
Velociryx
staff

30 days and counting....

-=Vel=-
Old July 1, 2005, 19:23   #198
Alex
Emperor

30 days more? damn...

Old July 4, 2005, 16:04   #199
Leland
Prince

Local Time: 02:08
30 days for what exactly? Just because the new guy might be starting then won't magically make the game happen, I think... if the progress during the last six months or so has been nonexistent, adding one guy to do some coding won't really mean a thing for us "fans", since the results won't be visible until after another 3-6 months or so. Right?
Old July 4, 2005, 21:06   #200
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm affraid so.

Still, it is a start.
Old July 4, 2005, 22:09   #201
Velociryx
staff

Well, true to a point, Leland.

The key difference here is that we're shelling out bucks to get code, whereas before, we were making use of volunteers, and you know how life can get some times.

The code aspect of the game is prolly the most thankless part of the whole shebang. I enjoy writing the rules and playing with models. That gets me jazzed up. Hex and Busta love art, and I know that Hex has spent mass thousands of effort just creating. Same with me and experimenting with the rules on paper.

But the code...that's a bit of a different beast, and only now, having been with a project like this, do I truly understand and appreciate the difficulties of getting code generated by way of volunteers.

Believe me, this is not to naysay our volunteer coders in the LEAST! Talented guys, all, and had they more spare time, I'm quite certain that any one of them could deliver the goods. But the code is the kind of thing that truly *requires* a full time commitment to make it happen...to really tie it all together.

Thus, we shifted gears and adapted.

I have no doubt that once we get to debugging, our volunteer coders will be absolutely invaluable, to say nothing of their value as a resource for our hired coder, and in a gazillion other ways, they have, and will continue to make their presence felt in the fabric of the game.

But we've gotta get someone working on it exclusively, and that's what August first will bring about.

True, as you say, the impacts will not be seen or felt here, in the public fora, immediately, but I don't think it'll be long before we have a regular parade of screenies and progress reports, moving toward our first (we'll call it a "limited open" with more details later) beta.

Stay tuned. We haven't disintegrated as a team yet, and on August first, I believe the last piece to this puzzle drops into place.

-=Vel=-
Old July 23, 2005, 18:13   #202
paramir
Prince

T-MINUS 9 DAYS
Old July 28, 2005, 10:59   #203
Velociryx
staff

yep yep yep...and then they waited and Vel got tired of all that and just said:

"screw this, man...I'm gonna go down to the bank today, make my first ever international wire transfer and end the waiting!"

Our first citizen starts Monday....

-=Vel=-
Old July 28, 2005, 11:33   #204
Alex
Emperor

Oh, no, VelociGames is rushing Candle'Bre! Damn ruthless capitalists...
Old July 29, 2005, 04:16   #205
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hope it didn't cost too many citizens...

/me smashes a bottle of champagne against the PC.
Old July 29, 2005, 06:25   #206
Velociryx
staff

I consider this to be a HUGE milestone!!! VERY happy to have arrived at the point where this is even possible.

Oh, and Alex....no matter how you slice it, I'm doubting people will look back on our progress and call it "rushing"

-=Vel=-
Old August 1, 2005, 05:27   #207
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
edit....

....no matter how you slice it, I'm doubting people will look back on our progress and call it "rushing"

-=Vel=-
well "rushing" is an overrated commoditiy in computer game design imho - just make sure the game is good and you'll make many more happy gamers

......So when can i expect to have a version to play?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; August 1, 2005 at 05:37.
Old August 1, 2005, 06:39   #208
Velociryx
staff

Dunno...but not terribly long after I do!

-=Vel=-
Old August 2, 2005, 17:18   #209
alva
Deity

So, is it nearly done yet!?!

So, is it nearly done yet!!?

Old August 2, 2005, 17:55   #210
Velociryx
staff

Not even almost...

-=Vel=-