Old May 4, 2002, 23:17   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The title itself lets me speculate
Well, "Play the World". It means we'll have to deal with the real world, right ? So, it would mean historical scenarios rather than fantastic ones. It would also mean a world map with fixed starting positions, don't you think ?
Maybe they'll take Marla's map as their official world map, with adaptations due to new rules. And at last we'll have fixed starting positions without using hacked tools.
Old May 4, 2002, 23:45   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes, fantasy scenarios will be part of a second expansion pack.
Old May 5, 2002, 05:56   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Yes, fantasy scenarios will be part of a second expansion pack.
Cool, but when to they make the pre-historic scenarios? I remember the good ol' days playing Civ2, but with dinos instead...That was cool

Anyway, back to the topic: I certainly hope so, otherwise nobody will play World Map in MP!
Old May 5, 2002, 14:26   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:09
Re: The title itself lets me speculate
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Well, "Play the World". It means we'll have to deal with the real world, right ? So, it would mean historical scenarios rather than fantastic ones. It would also mean a world map with fixed starting positions, don't you think ?
Maybe they'll take Marla's map as their official world map, with adaptations due to new rules. And at last we'll have fixed starting positions without using hacked tools.

I hope you're right. That would explain the bad title.
Old May 5, 2002, 14:30   #5
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 00:09
I think "Play the World" refers more to the centerpiece of the expansion pack: the multiplayer.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old May 5, 2002, 14:37   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
I think "Play the World" refers more to the centerpiece of the expansion pack: the multiplayer.
Ah, intriguing. Does "world" mean the world map? or the people of the real world? Well, I hope that it does both. Your idea makes sense, perhaps more than the world locations, esp. since I don't think the title would grab random cusotmers if it was just the map. What i mean-more casual people know what MP is rather than knowing that Civ3 did not come with fixed locations.
Old May 5, 2002, 16:41   #7
Thrawn05
King

IMHO, the title has the same artistic value as a certain SW movie that is about to be released. I wonder if there is a connection?
Old May 5, 2002, 17:54   #8
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 00:09
[sarcastic speculation mode]
...or maybe, by "Play The World", they had this definition in mind:

play (v. tr.)
To use or manipulate, especially for one's own interests: played his opponents against each other.

(that's directly from Dictionary.com)

So, while multiplayer may be a nice addition, the main new feature may be vastly extended exploit abilities! New diplomacy and trade possibilities that the AI will be chronically inept at! Reduce the world to a handful of puppet governments! What FUN!
[/sarcastic speculation mode]

Of course (thankfully!) this won't be the case. I do think that the XP title does not necessarily imply historical starting locations, although I also think we can reallistically expect that feature.

P.S. Thrawn, what would you prefer? "Episode II: Jango gets jiggy wit' it" ? Or, "Episode II: eight more episodes until Thrawn shows up"? *shrug*
Old May 5, 2002, 18:32   #9
player1
Emperor

Play the World?

Maybe a BETTER Earth map with STARTING LOCATIONS.
Old May 5, 2002, 18:41   #10
Hrafn
Chieftain

I think "Play the World" means to play people around the world.

But if they are being crafty, then it could mean both play on an EARTH map AND play people all over the world.
Old May 5, 2002, 18:43   #11
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hrafn
I think "Play the World" means to play people around the world.

But if they are being crafty, then it could mean both play on an EARTH map AND play people all over the world.

I wouldn't give Firaxis that much credit...
Old May 5, 2002, 19:28   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:09
I think it is an allusion to multi-player. Probably on a dedicated subscription type server.
Old May 5, 2002, 19:38   #13
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
I think it is an allusion to multi-player. Probably on a dedicated subscription type server.
I always new the people of Firaxis heard voices in his head.

"If you make it, they will pay."
Old May 5, 2002, 21:12   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I can't imagine a pay-per-play basis for Civ3 MP. As we pay for the product itself, and as a Civ3 arena wouldn't need that much maintenance costs, I don't see why we should pay on a monthly basis, knowing that we don't pay monthly for Diablo2 or Wolfenstein... This idea is utterly stupid, and Firaxis won't want to worsen their bad reputation with this.
Old May 5, 2002, 21:24   #15
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I can't imagine a pay-per-play basis for Civ3 MP. As we pay for the product itself, and as a Civ3 arena wouldn't need that much maintenance costs, I don't see why we should pay on a monthly basis, knowing that we don't pay monthly for Diablo2 or Wolfenstein... This idea is utterly stupid, and Firaxis won't want to worsen their bad reputation with this.
I agree completely with this. Sure EQ works, but its a totally different beast than civ3. And, since there are going to be several iterations of the MP game-PBEM, hotseat, simul turns, alternating turns, I don't see this as a viable option. Hope firaxis doesn't prove this wrong. Maybe they would try this if the xp was a free download, but the mp part was subscription based. but i just can't see them charging 30 bucks then the subscription fee.
Old May 5, 2002, 21:40   #16
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 17:09
I can imagine it. Does anybody remember that crazy massively multiplayer idea I published a while back? If they could find a cool way to implement it (simultanious/out of order turns, or something), it would be cool to play on a massive map with huge numbers of human civs, particulalry if the "ideal number of cities" were set low, thus necessitating the use of other human players (who may or may not be trustworthy) to keep cities productive.

The idea was more developed than this, but I don't feel like going into it right now.
Take me as I am.