Old May 2, 2001, 20:24   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'd just like to remind everyone. .
. . That there has been VERY little actually said officially about the game. Alot of what people are complaining about recently hasn't been confirmed by Firaxis. . it's just us trying to get every tiny little piece of info we can from the screenshots, whatever. Most of it is just assumption. So stop friggin whining!
Old May 2, 2001, 20:36   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:56
I'm glad somebody OTHER than me posted this message. I agree with you. Although one can only hope the next Firaxis update will help clarify a few of the hot topics rolling around here like:

1. Are the graphics we have seen anywhere near final?
2. What is going on with the number of civs and minor civs?
3. How will unique units and bonuses work?

I put those in order of difficulty...we could surely get an answer on 1, have a shot at 2, and little chance for now at 3. But until we get SOMETHING about those topics, there's very little to argue about.
Old May 2, 2001, 20:50   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Most of the whining is constructive criticism really. If people don't complain then there's no chance anything will be changed.
Old May 2, 2001, 21:07   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

quote:

I'm glad somebody OTHER than me posted this message.

*AHEM* . Me and conner are usually on the same page though, so I wasn't shocked to see him agree with my view .

And it is only constructive criticism WHEN the people doing it know what they are talking about! Statements from people like Roman telling everyone Minor Civs are really Barbarians, when he's got no proof either way, is simply dishonest.
Old May 2, 2001, 21:18   #5
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 00:56
at least we can help firaxis get on with improving things , if they know as early as possible about an issue like the number of Civs in a game.. theres more chance things can get changed (the game won't have developed too far that they can't chance things).

And its a good way to let off some steam , while we have to wait for it to be finished :>
Old May 2, 2001, 21:19   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Imran: I know you've been proudly waving the banner of logical patience in other threads. I just meant making a new topic on it. I figured it wouldn't be worth the time, but I'm glad somebody else made the effort.

And as a note to others who think they are doing some sort of good: Constructive criticism only works if you know what you are criticizing. If we KNEW about topics 1-3, we could debate them wisely and perhaps even to the betterment of Civ3.
Old May 2, 2001, 21:21   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yin, I know... I was just joking around.

Btw, remember the first pictures of SMAC compared to the end result... that should quiet any person complaining about graphics .
Old May 2, 2001, 22:26   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, I **do** remember and was going to remind people, but so few people around here seem to recall past events. Now, I have always been suspicious of Firaxis' model of keep good graphics out until the end of the project (since I think that leads to rushing things before release and getting used to crappy graphics while playtesting), but we have to believe them when they say they are tired of being criticized on graphics.
Old May 2, 2001, 22:43   #9
joseph1944

Guys look at it like this. You are one of 20 people working on what is suppose to be one of the greatest game ever made ( Civ 3 ), and each day you ask your PR man (Dan M) to brief the team on what is being posted on the Apolyton Site each day, how would you feel?
Not every thread, but most of the threads has had negative comments on almost every aspect of the game. The Firaxis group that is working on the project are trying very hard to make a great game and all they hear is negative comments. Last year was really great because we were asked to provide a list of things that we wanted in Civ 3. Most of those comments were positive. Some of you should go back and read some of the request before you tear the game down.
So in the end, 8 civ's is OK with me, so is number in city screen, so is future tech., so is Unique Units, and probability just about any thing else they put into the game. Oh just in case someone said I'm a new guy on the block, I have been around for a while.

------------------

Old May 3, 2001, 01:54   #10
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 10:56
It's funny that with all these new screenshots that have surfaed recently, we haven't heard from DanM. Conincidence? I think not!
Old May 3, 2001, 02:20   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff

eh?

There is a Firaxis guy named DanM?

Jeff hardly posts anyway... so what?
Old May 3, 2001, 04:41   #12
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 05-02-2001 09:19 PM
Constructive criticism only works if you know what you are criticizing. If we KNEW about topics 1-3, we could debate them wisely and perhaps even to the betterment of Civ3.

But you can still say 'if item x is like this in the real game, then we wont be happy'. That still gives Firaxis something to work with, although I do think some people go over the top on the issue. The fact still remains that these previews/screenshots/etc. are all the information we have to look at, and anything that looks worrying should be commented on now, before its too late, in the hope Firaxis will listen and change it.

Old May 3, 2001, 06:35   #13
Adm.Naismith
King

Well, this is sort of a cross post with another thread, but I'm not alone, so I hope you can forgive me.

------
Is not as if we are mostly using bad names for Firaxis team: they are doing a job, but we are the future customer (and often already loyal customer of their previus games).
We are mostly as fan of some football (soccer) or basketball team (or chose any other team sport you like it).

We want a great game, we want to see them to win after a good "fight", or at least throw in all their energy into their best efforts.

Some fan will enjoy the game anyway, or at least until it end in a (may be miserable) victory or a useful draw, others want to see some great play, something to tell to the friends for months, maybe years.

But, as in sports, there are lots of factor to play a part, and money are always into the equation.

Most of the fan know it, and they understand, as long as the line is draw enough near their needs (or dreams). So I think that complaining is part of the game (and to tolerate it is part of game developers job ).

At the end we'll see, but I bet that if Firaxis will sincerelly do its best, fan player will applaude them loudly, at least with their wallets, you know.

BTW, I hope people stop writing they'll buy the game the day it'll be on the shops: it doesn't help Firaxis have enough development time from the publisher.
Go with too much of these "suicidal" suggestion and sooner or later some Account Boss will phone Sid and order: "Well, they are ready to rush buy the game, what's all your waiting for polishing and balancing? Go gold and let that some patches will close the worst bug in a couple of months.
We want money NOW! You can always sell them an add-on later, can't you? They always eat that bait, you know.".

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant