View Poll Results: Prophetically include Brazilians?
Stoooopid 35 52.24%
Dumb, even though they will be great 2 2.99%
Only have 50/50 chance of greatness 5 7.46%
Yes, if only to fill South America 12 17.91%
Yes, they deserve inclusion! 8 11.94%
no opinion slash other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8, 2002, 15:19   #61
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Brazil? No. Portugal? Yes.
Old May 8, 2002, 23:30   #62
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
Bla, bla
I´m with you!
(no, i´m not being sarcastic)

OnT: I think that the Incas or the Spanish shoud be included.
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old May 10, 2002, 23:10   #63
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:10
*Steps aside from chest-thumping, flaming, and whatnot*

First, before accusations go flying around, I take a realistic view of the world, not a rose-colored glasses view along the lines of "America is cool, the world sucks."

*Ahem* That being said, I do feel that Brazil will hold a future in the world more influential than that it holds today. However, the process will be long and require much reform, but, I'll leave that issue for the politicians.

The existance of Brazil as a new civ would probably be less of a favorable choice as opposed to the Incans, primarily due to the fact that Brazil has had relatively little influence on the world (at least, compared to nations such as Rome around AD 1, Spain in the 15th through 17th centuries, Britain after that, and America today). No, I'm not saying America has saved the world from utter annihilation, blah blah blah, it's just a commonly-accepted fact that the U.S. holds the most influence over the world than any other nation today, and has for just over 50 years.

I don't doubt the fact that America as a civ was included primarily due to the demands of a U.S. market, but I feel that our country has had enough effect in modern times to warrant inclusion. After all, as stated previously in another thread, the "Modern Age" in Civ 3 includes the time when America became a world, then super-power. Excluding a country that has been dominant through an entire age would have been somewhat... incomplete.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:22   #64
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
"im not defending all of the united states actions for the last 225 years,"

100 good deeds does not justify a single evil act.
On the contrary it's called attonement. Virtually every religion allows for this and if it didn't then we'd all end up in hell.
Old May 12, 2002, 02:55   #65
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:10
Quote:
Alright, I'm Brazilian and jdd2007, thems fightin' words! We've had more of an impact on the world than you think! We're bigger than the continental United States or all of Europe minus Russia, we have 175 million people. During the exodus from Europe in the 19th century, Brazil caught a quarter of those new comers (the U.S. itself had less than half). We helped fight in the invasion of Italy in World War Two. Alberto Santos Dumont (a Brazilian) was the first person to build a heavier-than-air flying machine that could take off under its own power (NOT the Wright Brothers because theirs used a catapult to lift them off the ground). Today, Brazil's economy is the 5th largest in the world, and last year were had a 4% growth in our GNP, which is better than most industrialized nations in the best of times. We are the next generation super power. Not like the U.S. which uses treachery and deceit to advance itself politically in the world. We have not "influenced" the world as much because we've had the good sense to leave other people alone rather than terrorize them!!!

Of course, there is that famous quote... "Brazil is the up and coming country of the future... and always will be."
If talking about Future ,China and India will be the superpower each with 7.3% and 6 % economic growth respectively,China and India has long influenced the world for thousands of years.
I dont believe Brazil has the potential to be a superpower because I always believe New World Civilization cannot compete with Old World Civilization
So does US,US will no longer be the superpower in 20 years time.The future of US is dim with decling population,high divorce rate,immigrants taking up the population,declining literacy,American people had no sense of conservativeness.Situation in Europe at least isnt so bad,they are more conservative than US and Europeans dont have so much social problems as the US.it is the Old World Civ that has the bright future!
Old May 12, 2002, 03:10   #66
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayadi
So does US,US will no longer be the superpower in 20 years time.The future of US is dim with decling population,high divorce rate,immigrants taking up the population,declining literacy,American people had no sense of conservativeness.

... Well you can't argue with that. Everywhere I go I see the number of people living in the new local subdivisions leaving. Those who stay can't read and march around the streets advocating for abortion non-stop. And they're all Russian too. Odd...
Old May 12, 2002, 04:01   #67
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:10
Quote:
So does US,US will no longer be the superpower in 20 years time.The future of US is dim with decling population,high divorce rate,immigrants taking up the population,declining literacy,American people had no sense of conservativeness.Situation in Europe at least isnt so bad,they are more conservative than US and Europeans dont have so much social problems as the US.it is the Old World Civ that has the bright future!
Paging Patrick Buchanan, paging Patrick Buchanan.

Immigrants taking up the population? Who do you think the US is made of, Native Americans?

Americans have no sense of conservativeness? I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the US has moved to the right, albeit slightly over the past several years. And, besides, I fail to see why liberalism will bring the downfall of the US.

How does the US have a declining population? Figures? IIRC we're about to break the 300m mark.

high divorce rate: we;'ve had a high divorce rate for the past 30 years, still ticking.

On topic:
Brazil has a decent sized population, has the rainforests, priceless in value. I don't see it being a superpower, but I don't think that any nation should be discounted easily when using a vague "sometime in the future" standard.

after all, in 1787, would people have said that the US will someday be the most powerful country? Maybe a few, not many.
What about the USSR in 1917?
What about England, Rome, etc during their birthing stage?

granted, the above statement may actually not confrom to anything on this thread, as it has been awhile since i read the first responses.
Old May 12, 2002, 18:40   #68
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:10
I think by conservatism, he meant environmental, and that's true, generally people in the US aren't as concerned about the environment or depletion of resources as Europeans are. But then again, we have a lot more resources to deplete here too!
Old May 13, 2002, 01:09   #69
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:10
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJKirk
I think by conservatism, he meant environmental, and that's true, generally people in the US aren't as concerned about the environment or depletion of resources as Europeans are. But then again, we have a lot more resources to deplete here too!
Well, I hope that's what he meant too, but I still fail to see how that would doom america, and not Europe. Like you said, we have so many resources. Its easy to be green when you're belgian and theres some forests to conserve and not many people to feed and move around. Whatever, hopefully he will say what he was thinking by that.
Old May 13, 2002, 08:27   #70
Jon Shafer

Europe has been depleting its resources for 100 years before America. And it's more than likely that Europe has fewer resources than the entire Continental US... and that's not even including Alaska.
Old May 13, 2002, 11:31   #71
XarXo
Prince

Nigeria will have 100 millions in a near future...
Old May 14, 2002, 10:51   #72
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:10
Just to be nice,I am not European,I am a Chinese.
The difference in thinking of an English and an American is very obvious,why? American society tends to have more social problem ,American people tends to do more crazy things (from media of different countries,no propaganda) in crimes, many american student now like to drop out of the school,very bad situation,no real effort to encourage people to go to school.Having the liberal not to go to school is horrondous

And YES American is the world's biggest polluter,they have no sense of caring for environment,DAMN BUSH for breaking the Kyoto treaty.Our Earth is not as green as before,to make it natural again it took a long time and the situation on Earth is not like CivIII where you can plant forest again and make the world green again.In Geography it is said that the environment is being damaged faster than what it can recover by horrondous human activities(In America) .It is sad to see Earth has lost its "green" and "naturality"

Last edited by Fayadi; May 14, 2002 at 11:00.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:56   #73
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Just to be nice,I am not European,I am a Chinese.
The difference in thinking of an English and an American is very obvious,why? American society tends to have more social problem ,American people tends to do more crazy things (from media of different countries,no propaganda) in crimes, many american student now like to drop out of the school,very bad situation,no real effort to encourage people to go to school.Having the liberal not to go to school is horrondous
While yes, America does have a pretty high drop-out rate (compared to other countries), it's not really that much of a problem. I know only 2 or 3 people who have dropped out, and the rest of the people I know are pretty smart, and most are going to college. I think that the way public education works is fine.
Old May 15, 2002, 23:00   #74
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
Quote:
Alright! Alright! Yeesh! Look, I don't know the full details of the law suit against the Simpsons, but I do know that just because somebody in the government of Brazil is wasting their time on a law suit (probably the people who are being influenced by the tourism companies *never thought of that didya?*) it doesn't mean the whole nation of 175 million is flipping over it. I mean, the U.S. government has done some stupid stuff too. 12 million bucks to make a pen to write in space and the Soviets used a pencil. The Dutch went to war over tulips. The English went to war over the Faulkland Islands! Every nation, great or not, has done stupid things in the past.
Hey, arent you the guy who renamed Argentina as the land under my feet?

I thought that our only rivalry was about Pele vs Maradona.
Not something else.
Old May 16, 2002, 01:48   #75
Galahadba
Settler

Local Time: 21:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Kublai-Khan

Hey, arent you the guy who renamed Argentina as the land under my feet?

I thought that our only rivalry was about Pele vs Maradona.
Not something else.

Yes our only rivality is Pele vs Maradona , and Pele will always be better hehehehe

i think that in the XP pack they should put back the Sioux (i like Sitting Bull hehehe) , for south america they should put the Tupi-Guarani and they should put the US as European culture ,Native americans is ridiculuos (i don't know if is that the right way to say it, my english is poor)
Old May 17, 2002, 11:13   #76
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

On the contrary it's called attonement. Virtually every religion allows for this and if it didn't then we'd all end up in hell.
This has nothing to do with what I said. I am aware of attonement, but I am not religious, so I feel it is irrelevant that most religions have a mechanism for getting into heaven (or whatever) after commiting evil deeds. I admit my comment should have been prefaced with 'IMO'.
Old May 20, 2002, 16:25   #77
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:10
Point taken.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.