Old May 2, 2001, 10:44   #1
Cyberbugs
Settler

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis - isn't it time for an update?
How about updating your website, with some more answers to all the questions being asked here, Firaxis?
Old May 2, 2001, 11:31   #2
belusa
Settler

I agree, it's time to give us some answers! Maybe Firaxis can tell us what the 'unique units' really are and in which way they are unique (specs), as it seems to be a big issue on this forum!?
Old May 2, 2001, 11:44   #3
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
It's time.

I wonder if they are busy on E3 or something?
Old May 2, 2001, 14:20   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
And maybe they could settle the wheter there will be 7 or 8 (possibly a changeable number) civs...
Old May 2, 2001, 14:32   #5
aCa
Chieftain

Not E3 before may 17...... so that can't be it.

------------------
aCa (a Civilization addict)
Old May 2, 2001, 18:08   #6
joseph1944

Guys look at it like this. You are one of 20 people working on what is suppose to be one of the greatest game ever made (Civ 3), and each day you ask your PR man (Dan M) to brief the team on what is being posted on the Apolyton Site each day, how would you feel?
Not every thread, but most of the threads has had negative comments on almost every aspect of the game. The Firaxis group that is working on the project are trying very hard to make a great game and all they hear is negative comments.
Last year was really great because we were asked to provide a list of things that we wanted in Civ 3. Most of those comments were positive. Some of you should go back and read some of the request before you tear the game down.
So in the end, 8 civ’s is OK with me, so is number in city screen, so is future tech., so is Unique Units, and probability just about any thing else they put into the game.
Oh just in case someone said I’m a new guy on the block, I have been around for a while.

------------------

Old May 2, 2001, 18:48   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Is not as if we are mostly using bad names for Firaxis team: they are doing a job, but we are the future customer (and often already loyal customer of their previus games).

We are mostly as fan of some football (soccer) or basketball team (or chose any other team sport you like it).

We want a great game, we want to see them to win after a good "fight", or at least throw in all their energy into their best efforts.

Some fan will enjoy the game anyway, or at least until it end in a (may be miserable) victory or a useful draw, others want to see some great play, something to tell to the friends for months, maybe years.

But, as in sports, there are lots of factor to play a part, and money are always in.

Most of the fan know, and they understand it, as long as the line is draw enough near they needs (or dreams). So I think that complaining is part of the game (and to tolerate it is part of game developers job ).

At the end we'll see, but I bet that if Firaxis will sincerelly do its best, fan player will applaude them loudly, at least with their wallets, you know.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old May 2, 2001, 19:26   #8
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:56
quote:

...most of the threads has had negative comments on almost every aspect of the game.

they aren't negative comments per se...they are subjective critisism, QC, or simply put...player feedback. I mean honestly, how many people here who are barking about what they see, or dont see, are NOT going to buy the game? Remember, if it wasn't for Cid and Civ none of us would be the fans we are now. personally, i might gripe or praise certain features, but there is NOTHING that would detain me from buying this game. I *****ed and moned about CTP I, so I returned the equally horrible sequal. but THIS Civ III is a sequal to a sequel, and i think we all know, deep down, that this programming team overseen by Cid, is going to produce another captivating and entertaining sequel to the sequel to the original...got that? And we all want that great team to ackowledge what we say. i mean how cool is it to see an idea you thought would be a great feature, actually added to the game? or something you tought was lousy taken out of the game?

but as far as a web site update...do we honestly need one? well, i think that they should post the screenshots that were published in the magazines. i just want to see them with better image quality. thats all i ask. -besides they already have the screen shots made up, right? so it wouldnt be too much to ask.
Old May 2, 2001, 20:32   #9
bigfree1

I think EVERYONE needs to lighten up a bit. I mean this is only a game, isn't it? I read stuff from people in here who act like it's (the game) some kind of drug. We have a bunch of addicts here; get a hold of yourself man (not like that, silly)! Take a walk, get some exercise, read a book (on paper, not on your screen), do something other than endlessly worry about what Civ3 will be like or won't.

Just think that at least for everyone of us in the forums, there are probably a 1000 fans of Civ3 that are going to buy it the day it releases. Do you think we (members of the forum) are representative of those others? I simply don't think we are. We (most of us) are reminisce of those that others tell "It's ok to love your pets, just don't LOVE you pets!" I'm not implying beastiality here, just that some may take this game a bit too seriously. Therefore, why should Firaxis worry too much about what a small percentage of its customers think as far as what stage the game is in and what kind of information it wants to pass on to us. I want to thank Firaxis for all the information they have provided. Don't get me wrong, I love to read about it also, but I know that the game will still develop and deploy regardless of the what or when of "updates" we get.

Again, Thankyou Firaxis, for what you have provided. Please ignore all the nasty notes in here, actually ignore them all, just get busy and FINISH THE DAMN GAME ALREADY!
[This message has been edited by bigfree1 (edited May 02, 2001).]

Old May 2, 2001, 22:00   #10
joseph1944

Let’s take this one step further. In the 80s as I have posted, I wanted to make a game with my friend Bruce. It did not happen but that OK. Some how I think I know how some of these programmer feel because if I was working on Civ 3 or any other game it would be the best game ever. I would not accept making a half-ass game anytime.
Recall CTP, it sold around 30,000 + however Civ 3 will in my opinion sell 50,000+ and maybe cross into the 100,000 areas.
There are how many Apolyton people with log on? We are a small minority in the total number of people who will buy this game.

Nemo they are very negative comments in some cases where one person wanted everyone to write Firaxis about the unique units and 7 civs to complain.
Back when I first hear about Apolyton I just look in from time to time to see what was going on, and I did this for several months before I asked for a log-on name and password. Once I got the name I only posted one in a while, now I post a lot more. What I’m wondering about is how many people are just looking in and saying no way I’m going to get a log on and post with all that negative stuff being said to one another.

Bigfree it may be more like 10,000 copy the first day. I know this if I don’t get one the first day I will be very unhappy with someone. And yes I agree let’s have the game yesterday so I can be playing this game during the summer break.

------------------

Old May 2, 2001, 22:40   #11
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:56
At first I just read this forums. Then after about a month I got around to getting a password thinking "man these people don't know what they're talking about". Well I was wrong, almost everybody knows as much as me and far more. After a while I started to do a few replies here and there. Mainly I don't like to reply too much because everything people talk about is negative. Can't there just be one thread where people talk about the good stuff in a thread. Now I just like to read the stuff about thins I'm not really informed about because everything else is what is wrong about the game. Just one positive thread. In fact I'll start one myself.
Old May 2, 2001, 23:04   #12
jordanz19
Settler

CTP only sold 30,000? Isn't more like 300,000? I don't know but I think that Civ 3 will sell a few more than 50,000 copies.
Old May 2, 2001, 23:52   #13
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 19:56
Im not sure how many copies of ctp sold. But i believe it was more than 30,000. in the game business 30k in sells is very bad. Age of wonders sold 50k (which was a great game that few played) and that was a huge dissapointment. Diablo two sold about 3 million after about 6 months. It would be allot higher than that now. So i would guess they are hoping for at least 1 million.
Old May 3, 2001, 02:38   #14
MarkG

CTP1 sold 500,000 the same with SMAC
there is a report that CTP2 sold 30,000

Old May 3, 2001, 06:23   #15
Adm.Naismith
King

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 05-02-2001 10:00 PM
Recall CTP, it sold around 30,000 + however Civ 3 will in my opinion sell 50,000+ and maybe cross into the 100,000 areas.
There are how many Apolyton people with log on? We are a small minority in the total number of people who will buy this game.

Internet community isn't so big (but don't forget many simply lurk and never ask for a login, for some reason), but dedicated players have a relevant role, as always have dedicated customers of, let say, HiFi or cars: some company works to please "instant customers", as HiFi with glossy design and lot of unnecessary buttons, some works for audiophiles that care of great, clear sound and can live with black/silver racks.

Of course, for money reason, lot of companies try to please a large share of customers, and customer care is the tool they use to manage customers difference: Internet community write, speak, send messages about products, while most of "common customers" don't.

That's why Apolytoner's voice should be listened and considered: they are dedicated, they are often competent users (players) and know a lot about games. We aren't always right, and often we miss the point because we don't have all the info, but this is how things works.

I bet Firaxis developers know it, and simply take all the best from every rant... if there is any

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old May 3, 2001, 07:27   #16
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 05-02-2001 10:00 PM
we have 50-60,000 unique visitors per month with a record of 80,000

Old May 3, 2001, 11:31   #17
Leonidas
King

And don't forget the power of word of mouth - everyone who visits these forums becomes informed about whether a civ-like game is good or bad.

Isn't it interesting that CTP 2 sold only 30,000 copies - especially after the negative comments started coming out about it Game companies take note!

With about 20,000 visiters (members and lurkers) to these forums each month, means that if each of these people knows 3 people, and those people each know 3 people - well, you can see the multiplier effect. This multiplier will be either good or bad for a game company, depending on how good the particular game is.

You can bet the farm - that when Civ 3 hits the stores - it will sell like hotcakes - and will continue to sell for years afterward. Word of mouth will guarantee big sales for this game. Just look at Civ2 - it's still selling copies.

A classic game will always have a future

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old May 4, 2001, 00:59   #18
joseph1944

Mark, thanks for the numbers; boy was I way off. 80,000 in one month that is great. Now if all of them would get a log-on it would really be great.
If CTP sold 500,000 than Civ 3 will sell maybe a 1,000,000 or more.
Leonidas: Your point is well taken, because there was so much negative talk about CTP 2 on this site and magazine sites it may have scared many people away from buying the game. I like the game a lot and with Wes adding his Mod, he made it a better game.
Guys there are two ways to complain about a game. One is very negative (No! Stop! It is no good! I won’t buy it!) And the other is would you (Firaxis, Maxis, Activision etc.) please reconsider the units, landscape, city screen, interface, etc. Explain why you want them to reconsider it. It may work.

------------------