Old May 6, 2002, 10:01   #1
jabroni154
Settler

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI is using artillery (1.21)?
Sorry to bombard with a second post but I also wanted to get some observations/comments.

In my last game, the AI started to use artillery *gasp* occasionally effectively. For instance, I had a hoard of units I had just cross the border with and was going to move my artillery (stack of 30 ) across the border the next turn when lo and behold, the AI took its 2 artillery and started bombarding my troops.

Of course it was only 2 artillery but I was shocked. I was 2 squares away so the the AI was actually using the full range of the artillery. Previously (before 1.21), the only bombardment I ever saw was when I had a ship next to an AI coastal city. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Personally, I like this change and I would really like to see the AI try to use this even better (especially with railroads). Do the same thing as with settlers (except maybe add 1 or 2 more units) and try to use artillery offensively. At worst case, bombard first before attacking with other units and if they have RR's between cities, do the cheap mass-bombard that I use (or at least with more than just the units that are in the city).
Old May 6, 2002, 12:53   #2
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah, I've yet to see the AI use massed artillery bombardments the way I do, but have seen some intelligent usage of AI artillery resources since the 1.21 patch. Yeah!!!! Civ III feels less and less like a good beta test version!

i like ibble blibble
Old May 6, 2002, 14:09   #3
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Im in a game now where the Zulus sent a stack of 12 cats- each with an escourting pikeman-across my border.
After I shook off the shock of what I just saw I immediatly contacted the Russians and Greeks and bribed them into DOW the Zulu.
The zulus Inexplicably turned all their forces south after taking only one of my small boarder cities with 2 Knight armies.
The catapults could have advanced to another of my cities but they just kinda bounced around like the AI didnt know what to do with them.lol
I do believe that if I had not gotten help they might have used them properly and I would have lost another city.
To answer the question "do they use them offensivly now" Id say yes.They didnt move all those guys into my territory for a tea party.

BTW --I hunted all those little bastards down and with the help of my allies the Zulu are no longer a threat to the world
They really were quite powerful.
Old May 9, 2002, 09:08   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
hi ,

not only is the ai using artillery , he is also using it with other units , bomb ya first , and then he uses his troops , ..

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 12:32   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes a refreshing change. But, I think this has more to do with the order of AI troop movements then a real coordinated attack. It just appears to be.
Old May 9, 2002, 15:40   #6
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Yes a refreshing change. But, I think this has more to do with the order of AI troop movements then a real coordinated attack. It just appears to be.
hi ,

the AI seems to learn , .....ahem , first a couple subs , then a carrier , and then some marine's , and last but not least , some tanks , .....

however he needed 25 turns to do so , and when the carrier got nuked , it was over , ....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 18:11   #7
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

the AI seems to learn , .....ahem , first a couple subs , then a carrier , and then some marine's , and last but not least , some tanks , .....

however he needed 25 turns to do so , and when the carrier got nuked , it was over , ....

have a nice day
THE AI CAN"T LEARN.
Old May 10, 2002, 10:33   #8
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

THE AI CAN"T LEARN.
hi ,

ask Soren at firaxis , he can learn , of course it depends what you understand with learning , ...

Soren has changed the AI , of course he spend a lot of time at caltech univ , ........

and the AI in civ3 can learn , not much but he can do his calculations , he adapts to the actions of the human player , completely random , well , almost , ...!!!

a good example is the "seed" when creating a map , the random ones , .....

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 11:14   #9
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Soren can change the AI, but the AI will never learn. Even a little bit. What you do may change a decision tree for it, but that's not learning.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:24   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Soren can change the AI, but the AI will never learn. Even a little bit. What you do may change a decision tree for it, but that's not learning.
hi ,

sorry , but the tree aint all , .......

what the point was , was that the AI can "think" , when he attacks its getting better and better , the use of artillery before the ground units move in , .......

the bombing of your infrastructure , ....with airunits , behold , even from a carrier , .....

and the AI learns during the game , .......

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 13:28   #11
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
I think Panag is right.

Just look at Panag himself, at first he was just a brand new coversation/posting program learning how to interact with real people on the boards, but as time has gone on, he's learned more and more how to interact with everyone and become much better.

His programmer needs to remove the space at the end of his clauses though, so that his commas line up correctly.

No offense, Panag. You're one of God's own prototypes, never intended for mass production.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:25   #12
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
I think Panag is right.

Just look at Panag himself, at first he was just a brand new coversation/posting program learning how to interact with real people on the boards, but as time has gone on, he's learned more and more how to interact with everyone and become much better.

His programmer needs to remove the space at the end of his clauses though, so that his commas line up correctly.

No offense, Panag. You're one of God's own prototypes, never intended for mass production.
hi ,

now , what is that supposed to mean , if by any means you are implementing that "panag" is a DL , ya got a lawsuit coming , .....

programming error , again , grrrr , it was fixed , blame the stupid link between the two servers , grrrr

nope panag is online , at full speed there is 452 of us , ... , ...how is that , ......????lol

topic ; okay the AI use artillery but he has radar artillery and he will not use it , ......at least not until the AI as either upgraded them all or they are captured or killed (killing artillery , )

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 15:43   #13
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:13
Quote:
topic ; okay the AI use artillery but he has radar artillery and he will not use it , ......at least not until the AI as either upgraded them all or they are captured or killed (killing artillery, )
Darn it!!! I WANT ARTILLERY DUELS!!
I'm just lamenting that bombardment does not affect artillery.... :sigh:
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.