Old April 11, 2001, 14:14   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 02:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Predefined Games
I posted something about it in a topic on multiplaying yesterday, but I think it deserves an own topic.

Every time you start a game you have to make a lot of chooses. I, myself, have observed that I always makes the same chooses, maybe some variance. I have anyway to setup everything from the beginning every time I start a new game.
I'd like to be able to create Predefined Game Setups with map size and type (landmass, climate, age and so on) or a mapfile, rules, difficulty level, civ- and leadername titles, and everything else you have to setup before you start a game.
Then after created the gametyps you usually play, it will just take 2 chooses to do what earlier took a lot more clicks. Just select "Start Predefined Game" and then select the name of the predefined game to start, and start the game.
Old April 11, 2001, 14:27   #2
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I like it, it would include things like: standard rules+ raging hordes+ 7(or max) civs+ romans+ Julius Ceaser+ large map+ large masses+ continents+ wet+ warm+ 3M years.

Also, when starting a customized game, you would have a final option to 'save as predefined game', and predefined game files would be editable ala rules.txt.
Old April 11, 2001, 15:34   #3
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
Excellent idea. Especially for when you have to re-load because your civ started with one Settler on a big desert.
Old April 12, 2001, 18:49   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Is my suggestion to perfect?
No negative Critics?
No Improvement suggestions?

Gues the only thing we can do now is to wait for any reaction by Firaxis.
Old April 13, 2001, 11:03   #5
airdrik
Prince

I know the feeling. Back when I was a newbie with great ideas, I had one where this eventually happened. I would guess that everyone is in agreement that this is a good idea, though the people at Firaxis have the final say as to if it is actually implemented or not (though the more we talk about it the higher chance that they will look at it).
Old April 13, 2001, 13:58   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:57
SMAC doesn't have that option explicitely shown, but if you start up a new game, the highlighted choices will be the ones you last used unless you specifically change them
Old April 13, 2001, 14:21   #7
airdrik
Prince

It does that in civ 2 as well, but (I think in both games) you still have to set up the rules (diety, raging hordes, 7 civs, indians, ...). This idea encompases those rules, so you can just open 'mypre.pdg' (PreDefined Game) and it will go straight to generating the map, placing civs, etc.

Now that I think of it, you should be able to save it using pre-drawn maps (w/option of random/standard locations in the file) as well.
Old April 14, 2001, 00:04   #8
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
This week I decided to go back to playing Alpha Centauri for a while. I never bought the game; my roommates did. Anyway, SMAC gives you the opportunity to customize the rules in your game. That means you can, for example, turn off blind research, disallow various forms of victory, slow tech research, get rid of "goodie hut" pods, all sorts of things. Then it gives you the option to "Play With Current Rules." It remembers the last set of rules you gave it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an option to "Play With All Current Settings," including the size and makeup of the world, the faction you were playing, the name you chose for yourself, the difficulty setting, the rarity of barbarians, etc. And that would be something very useful for Civ III.
Old April 17, 2001, 16:19   #9
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

As no one finds anything to write het I'll just place a POLL on it here.

Do you want Predefined Games to be in Civilization III?
Yes
No
Don't care

Last edited by Gramphos; June 4, 2001 at 04:41.
Old April 17, 2001, 17:15   #10
airdrik
Prince

You must like those polls. You're sticking them everywhere!

Anyway I got the second vote yes, for yes: 100%
Old April 17, 2001, 17:46   #11
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:57
I think this is a great idea - save a lot of boring repetition before each game - so I've just added my Yes to the poll, gaining 20% of the results! (I was the 5th to vote! )
Old April 17, 2001, 18:06   #12
King Richard
Warlord

Local Time: 01:57
Must agree! Great idea! I've always had the same problem. Since I am a bit of a perfectionist, I will start a game over and over again, until I find a starting position and a map that is close to perfection. This means that I save the game before I build my first city, "cheat" by showing the map. If the starting-position has room for a research-city, a production city and a wide variety of key resources + that I start alone on a big island, then I'm ready to start playing. Then I'll just load the game I have saved. Unfortunately this often means that I'll have to start a game 10-20 times (sometimes more!) before I'm satisfied, which is very irritating when I have to go through all the menues! Call me a nutcase, but that's how I like to play!
Old April 18, 2001, 02:00   #13
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

quote:

Originally posted by airdrik on 04-17-2001 05:15 PM
You must like those polls. You're sticking them everywhere!

You are absolutely right, I like them and as I still develop them and trying to make as few things to do to set one up. Right now I'm down to half an hour if I'm at home.

Old April 18, 2001, 11:55   #14
airdrik
Prince

That long? I was thinking it wouldn't take that long. Oh well I don't know that much about such things. Maybe you could design a program which designs them for you? That would cut the time down to just a few minutes, don't you think?
Old April 18, 2001, 15:23   #15
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

quote:

Originally posted by airdrik on 04-18-2001 11:55 AM
That long? I was thinking it wouldn't take that long.

I think it is less, as I have a new system for the POLL-definition file, but I haven't timed me setting up a poll. I just approximated it to half an hour, it's more likely 15 to 20 minutes with the current system.

quote:

Oh well I don't know that much about such things. Maybe you could design a program which designs them for you? That would cut the time down to just a few minutes, don't you think?

I'm working with that. Most of the time right now goes to making the post page, and I'll try to make a forum for defining polls this weekend. It should make the definition file and generate the code I've to post. Right now I have to manually modify it for the specific poll, and make sure there is no line breaks in the code when I posts it.
To set up a poll without post ability takes just a few minutes.
Old April 20, 2001, 14:03   #16
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

My new POLL generator is ready. Now I'm down to one minute generation + one minute to post it (I’ve not timed more then generation jet)
Old April 20, 2001, 15:42   #17
airdrik
Prince

Congratulations. Those are the kinds of times I would expect from any experienced programmer.

Now what does this have to do with civ 3? (almost) ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. But it is nice to have anyway. If you have a heated topic with a few definete sides to the argument, just whip up a poll to see what the people think about that. (though you probably shouldn't do it that often as it would steal the ideas for official polls ).
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited April 20, 2001).]
Old April 23, 2001, 16:03   #18
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Why is it only 17 votes?
Nobody cares?
****-**Just vote Don't care
Old May 4, 2001, 15:51   #19
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

You should also be able to select if the game shall ask for one thing the next time so that you may use a main pattern and vary things.
Old June 4, 2001, 04:38   #20
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Do you think I shall change this to one of the new Polls?
Old June 4, 2001, 06:28   #21
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
To be honest I think that the current huge rash of polls is not helpful, particularly when the answers are often predictable as this one. Even if someone doesn't intend to make use of this feature, why would they vote against something that will not hurt them? I don't see Firaxis taking any more interest in this idea just because it is a poll. At the risk of being flamed, I say it is a useful idea, it has been suggested, lets just nod and move on....
Old June 4, 2001, 06:43   #22
Jeje2
Prince

SMAC - "Quick start"?
In SMAC there was a "quick start" option.

I have understood that that it would start the game with same settings as previous one.
(I'm not sure of this, but think so.)

I didn't use it, since I liked to play with different names each game. (To separate the save-files)

Am I wrong?
Old June 4, 2001, 10:19   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
Quote:
Especially for when you have to re-load because your civ started with one Settler on a big desert.
wimp.

you never get one settler on diety.

tighten up.
Old June 4, 2001, 14:14   #24
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
To be honest I think that the current huge rash of polls is not helpful, particularly when the answers are often predictable as this one. Even if someone doesn't intend to make use of this feature, why would they vote against something that will not hurt them? I don't see Firaxis taking any more interest in this idea just because it is a poll. At the risk of being flamed, I say it is a useful idea, it has been suggested, lets just nod and move on....
No new thread then.
I guess you are right. The reason that I created a POLL from the beginning was that I got no one to write anything in this thread (as it was a perfect idea from the beginning ).

A POLL in a Forum without POLLs is something extra. A POLL in a Forum with POLLs is just annoying.