Old May 6, 2002, 19:02   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What Else could be Included?
Everyone is spending so much time talking about multiplayer and new civs, so I ask the quesiton...

What else could be included? New worker abilities? Unit costs? Wonders added? An actual scenerio editor? Just want everyones opinion.
Old May 6, 2002, 19:44   #2
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know. I figure they already have those things decided and haven't chosen to divulge it to us. So, I will not speculate.
Old May 7, 2002, 00:30   #3
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:14
I still want certain era only games. This was always one of my favourite ideas in the devopment forums.
Old May 7, 2002, 00:36   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
I would like to see a useful modern wonder.

Genetic engineering and longevity, just dont thrill me like they used to. Also on a branch I rarely get to.

UN-I turn that off, though if improved, will turn back on.

Seti-preferred the old version, only make it if not doing anything else.

I would like to see something like The Internet or something, which would decrease the civ's corruption. Or maybe it could help assimilation or something.

I would like to see certain techs have inherent corruption reducing properties.

what else? I think just more editor flexibility

Oh

This is goofy, but since we're going to have MP, I would like it to be easier to use your face as your leader head. (can you do this now? not sure, but even if you can, it could be easier.) Games like NHL 2002 let you do this, put your face on a player Would personalize the game a bit for me. And would love to see my opponents face with bruises all over it
Old May 7, 2002, 03:29   #5
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:14
Idealistically, I'd have to say... I'd want to see Firaxis through realism and historical accuracy out the window, and put in something similar to SMAC's council

Realistically... Improvements on Worker Automation (I.E, option to make them do roads only (If that option doesn't already exist), and one to make them stand by, waiting, when there's nothing to do (If that also doesn't already exist)).
Old May 7, 2002, 03:30   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A revamped modern era tech tree would be very high on my list of desirables.
Old May 7, 2002, 05:43   #7
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Hey Kring, I'm from Wichita too! Small world, eh bro?
Old May 7, 2002, 05:49   #8
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:14
Multi-level maps (like in Civ II ToT).

Future era(s).

Mandatory Retirement set forward a couple of centuries for new era.

Revamped Modern era.

Fully customizable civ editor.
Old May 7, 2002, 07:24   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
Easily reconfigurable key mappings
Mixed unit groups
Stacks, cities and map locations able to be hotkeyed
Border violation alerts with triggerable 'jump to' feature

I see all of these being important to the success of simultaneous or turnless multiplay.

Outside of multiplayer all I really want is true scenario editor tools capable of adding unlimited new units, techs, governments and resources with the ability to place them on the map and assign rudimentary 'on event' activities like a unit appearing when a certain city falls etc.
Old May 7, 2002, 09:24   #10
Stuie
King

Local Time: 20:14
Here's what I'm expecting in the expansion pack:

8 new civs.
Multiplayer.

Here's what might also be included:

New buildings
New wonders
New techs
New diplomacy options

All within the existing structure of the game. Don't expect anything radical and you won't be disappointed.
Old May 7, 2002, 19:00   #11
Carver
Prince

Great Wonder: Carver's penis - tripled population growth rates.
Old May 7, 2002, 19:04   #12
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I agree with Stuie.

I think a reasonable person would expect an increase in Great Wonders since you now have 8 more civs, but I wouldn't count on it since it is expected to only give 16 civs playable.

I wondered what part of Kansas you were from monkspider when I read your sig a while back.
Old May 7, 2002, 19:09   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I agree with Stuie.

I think a reasonable person would expect an increase in Great Wonders since you now have 8 more civs, but I wouldn't count on it since it is expected to only give 16 civs playable.
I think a couple new wonders and perhaps units or techs are quite feasible. To write in new unit commands or other new things, probably not. Other things would be feasible, like adding new resources or luxuries, but do we really need 16 of each? I like some of the things to be kept simple.

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I wondered what part of Kansas you were from monkspider when I read your sig a while back.

Kansas
Old May 7, 2002, 19:20   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:14
It sure would be nice to get a few new government types; I'm dieing to see Fundamentalism & Facism plus a few of the CTP2 government types like corporate republic & virtual democracy would be nice.
As for new modern era wonders how does the Statue of Liberty sound? It could automatically assimulate any foreigners in the county when it is built.
Old May 7, 2002, 22:07   #15
Thrawn05
King

How about a PTW Limited Edition Tin Box? This version will allow people to play online with out paying per play.

All that refuse to pay the PTW LE's price of $60US, will be forced to pay per play. Firaxis will control all users, that use the regular PTW version, that plays over the internet. They will rule with a Iron Fist. This way, any "bot" civs in your internet games, can be taken over by a Firaxian employee, inabling God code that civ, and making your game a living hell.

You have exactly 2 months to accept this, or your current Civ3 software will "lock", unless you recieve a serial number from a copy of PTW's LE.

You have been warned.

Old May 7, 2002, 22:25   #16
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
I'd like to see random Civs. Rather than choose someone like China for their militarist and industrious bonuses, just get get a:

1. random name from the 24
2. random leader from the 24
3. random unique unit from the 24
4. two random bonuses.

eg:
Catherine the Great of the Scientific and Industrious Aztecs with their war elephants.

Suppose that could add some interesting twists to gameplay.
Old May 7, 2002, 22:28   #17
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
I'd like to see random Civs. Rather than choose someone like China for their militarist and industrious bonuses, just get get a:

1. random name from the 24
2. random leader from the 24
3. random unique unit from the 24
4. two random bonuses.

eg:
Catherine the Great of the Scientific and Industrious Aztecs with their war elephants.

Suppose that could add some interesting twists to gameplay.
interesting idea, would be wacky fun. the more options, the better.
Old May 7, 2002, 22:28   #18
Andrew_Jay
Prince

That looks like a really messed up game of Clue now that I think about it:

Elizabeth . . . in Japan . . . with the Mounted Warrior.
Old May 7, 2002, 22:39   #19
Mikhail
Chieftain

I'd like all commands (namely "upgrade all") to be able to be used by the right click menu, instead of having to pull out my keyboard to hold shift.
Old May 7, 2002, 22:43   #20
Andrew_Jay
Prince

speaking of upgrades, how about some way of upgrading armies?
I hate it when I end up in a war and turn my economy over to producing military units, turn out my first few tanks and put them in an army. I can't help but feel that I'm simply wasting them since with good research I'll be getting modern armour quite soon.
Old May 8, 2002, 04:37   #21
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Wow, you're from Columbia, Missouri Asleep at the wheel? I have two friends from the University of Columbia that work at some Missouri book exchange company up there. They have to travel to my university (Wichita State) three times a year to help with the campus bookstore's book-buyback
Wow, what a small world!
Old May 8, 2002, 05:00   #22
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I would like to see a useful modern wonder.

Genetic engineering and longevity, just dont thrill me like they used to. Also on a branch I rarely get to.

UN-I turn that off, though if improved, will turn back on.

I would like to see something like The Internet or something, which would decrease the civ's corruption. Or maybe it could help assimilation or something.
Yeah, I agree, the UN is just useless. I build it only to forbid others in using it.

Here's my idea for The Internet, as a wonder (or at least as a small wonder):

The Internet

Prereq tech: miniaturization
Cost: 1000
Culture: 4
Charactestics: scientific
Effect: increases science output by 10 - 20 % in all cities and reduces corruption by 10 - 20 % on remote (not on the same continent with the Palace or with the Forbidden Palace) cities
Old May 8, 2002, 11:01   #23
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
This is goofy, but since we're going to have MP, I would like it to be easier to use your face as your leader head. (can you do this now? not sure, but even if you can, it could be easier.) Games like NHL 2002 let you do this, put your face on a player Would personalize the game a bit for me. And would love to see my opponents face with bruises all over it
Sure you can. There are several files you would need to replace, but you just replace say, Bismarck's face pics with your own. What is that program? Flicster? With that one, you can make it "animated", even if it doesn't move, so you can replace the negotiation screen as well. You can have different pics for angry and so forth.

What would really be cool for MP would be webcam support. See if you can keep a poker face.
Old May 8, 2002, 13:01   #24
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 01:14
I would hope they would provide us with toys and extras that can't be provided by the Mod community and that weren't expected to be in the first release.

That rules out :

Scenarios

Extra Civs

Extra anything that can be done with the mod builder (wonders, units, governments)

A full construction kit

Multiplayer

Bug fixes

What they should be doing is using their creativity to bring life to their ideas that haven't worked out as the intended i.e. colonies, the modern era, culture. If we see new features that complement the original design then I will feel like this isn't just a planned staggered release of one game that the publisher has forced upon us to make more money.

I should add that I always use a made up name and details for any civ that I plays so perhaps that's why all the fascination and speculation over new civ's baffles me. Even so the modmaker allows you to create new civ's right now. Why not build the civ you want to play yourself?
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."
Old May 8, 2002, 13:26   #25
Stuie
King

Well, now we know what will be included...

Quote:
Sid Meier's Civilization III: Play The World will include three different Internet and LAN game styles, including turn-based, simultaneous, and for the first time in a Civilization game, a turnless mode. Civilization game fans around the world can now face off in short, fast-paced games like Elimination, Regicide and Capture the Flag or play a more traditional Civilization-style game; in addition the expansion will support "Play by Email" and Hotseat games and will include multiplayer scenario support. Play the World will also expand your Civilization experience by adding eight new "Great Leaders;" eight new civilizations with specialized units for each; new map features including airfields, outposts and radar towers; two new terrain sets that allow players to customize their maps; additional interface enhancements like unit stacking and auto-bombard; and complete game editor and scenario support, including feudal Japan and World War II unit packs, that will allow players to create scenarios from any time period.
Old May 8, 2002, 17:49   #26
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

what about a prison , a cemetery , ..........

have a nice day
Old May 8, 2002, 17:59   #27
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999

Sure you can. There are several files you would need to replace, but you just replace say, Bismarck's face pics with your own. What is that program? Flicster? With that one, you can make it "animated", even if it doesn't move, so you can replace the negotiation screen as well. You can have different pics for angry and so forth.

What would really be cool for MP would be webcam support. See if you can keep a poker face.
webcam support! hah, that would be great. what would be hilarious is if you could watch the face of your opponent while he moved his turn. See him get really pissed off or frustrated at something. Also you could yap at each other through the microphone. great idea
Old May 8, 2002, 18:04   #28
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Wow, you're from Columbia, Missouri Asleep at the wheel? I have two friends from the University of Columbia that work at some Missouri book exchange company up there. They have to travel to my university (Wichita State) three times a year to help with the campus bookstore's book-buyback
Wow, what a small world!
wichita, eh? cool. I live about a block away from that book exchange. that place is fricking huge. I go to Mizzou for law school. indeed a small world
Old May 8, 2002, 18:19   #29
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

extended range on the airunits .

have a nice day
Old May 8, 2002, 19:52   #30
Insigna
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:14
Make The Manhatten Project A Small Wonder
They should definatly make the Manhatten Project a Small Wonder. I don't think a single person is happy with it as a major wonder. There should at least be an option. Does anyone know why it was made a Regular wonder and not a small one?