Old May 6, 2002, 19:28   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Battlestations
I hate the fact that I can not modify this structure. I would prefer to have different weapons that the default and they seem to get captured so easily, since you have no security stations. The second round finds ships close enough to board and capture. In fact I think it is too easy to capture ships, but at least you could add security.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2002, 02:52   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Really? It's been a while since I've played, but I thought they had security systems -- at least they would when other, "better" systems weren't already grabbing all the available slots.

I think stations should have been alotted more slots.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2002, 13:58   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Well actually I can not examine it to see what it has, I am going by the fact that the first ship that get close to one captures it. I would remove all weapons and replace them with the best beam I have, no missiles. I just finished a game at impossible level and they managed to capture my BS. The missles at this stage ( plasma cannons or later) are useless. The AI has 15-20 ships and stomps all misiles and fighter bays. If I could have had all beam weapons the fight would have been easier. Stopping two or three additinal ship in the first round would have made a huge difference. I know they come with bigger fleets, but those can only be stopped by your fleet, 40 or more ship can not be handled by bases. This is one limit I missed from Moo1. You can make 200 missile bases if you need and stop the fleet. In Moo2 you can not add anything to planetary defense other than one of each type. Why not let me make more BS or Star Forts? Would Earth put up only one planetary defence if it could and hope for the best?
Old May 8, 2002, 17:13   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Vmxa1,

Not trying to thread jack here but have you tried Space empires gold?
Old May 9, 2002, 12:24   #5
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, I have it and play it from time to time. I love the ability to run test battles.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:20   #6
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Which do you prefer SE or MOO
Old May 9, 2002, 19:10   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Well I play Moo and Moo2 more frequently. That does not mean SE3 or SE4 are not fun, just they (SE) are longer and more tedious at the end. SE looks better and has IG2 like tactical combat. The problem is that the tactical combat is the good news and the bad news at once. It is a means to accomplish a better results, but can be lengthy. Some battles have to be fought this way or the results will horrendous. I just played about 10 days ago after I downloaded the patch.
Latest rotation:
Moo-Civ3-Homm4-Moo2-Homm4-Ascendancy-Stars-SE4-Homm4-Moo-Moo2-Moo2. Oops, forgot I snuck in Diablo2 LOD between the last few Moo/Moo2 games. This is my best recollection of the last few weeks. So you can see I get back to either Heroes2/3/4 or Moo1/2 often. That will change if Age Of Wonders II comes out this month and if I get up to E3. E3 may inspire me to get some other game. Oh yeah STUN2 was in there some where recently.
Old May 10, 2002, 12:37   #8
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

STUN2??
Old May 10, 2002, 18:18   #9
vmxa1
Deity

STUN is Starships Unlimited. It was/is a shareware game. Andrew reworked it a bit and updated the grahpics and called it STUN2 Starships Unlimited : Divided Galaxies. This is sold at Matrix.com. It is a RTS space game, not complicated.
I realized I left of Disciples II from my play list, but it was back in time a little farther.
I have tried Might and Magic IX several times, but it just hangs by PC. I am building a new one that will have XP so I am waiting to get it up before tring again. I am hoping it is a sound or video issue. Current (old now) P4-1.7G, Geforce 3, SB Live Platinum 5.1, so I am wondering why it is the only game that fails, oh well. Maybe I should drop it in on back up box, a AMD 900 with SB Live I don't remeber maybe Xgamer and a Geforce2. Both running Win98SE.
New one is an AMD 1900 with 8500 video card. The sound is on the mother board.
Old May 11, 2002, 17:55   #10
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Sounds tough

I'm currently on a P3 500 with carp cards. Also I have to spend about 15 minutes to get it to boot semi-stable. It is weird, like it has to warm up or something.

Me too gonna geta new one, $ not an issue, time is. Going top o the line this time. prolly a 2.4 P4 G4 etc. Already have a 21" monitor (and a 19").

R:PM
Old May 12, 2002, 00:13   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Sounds good, I loved my old 19" monitor. I have been using a 21" for the last 4 or 5 boxes. You pay little in grahpics with the larger monitors, but the extra space is useful. Games like Stars! fits on it so I do not have to min any windows.
Old May 12, 2002, 06:18   #12
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
Already have a 21" monitor (and a 19").
You are not a Jedi yet.

Moominparatrooper, who just so happens to have his home PC connected to a 62" flat wall plasma sceen

Although I have a piddling litte 17" monitor at work, where I spend most of my time anyway...
Old May 20, 2002, 11:49   #13
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper

You are not a Jedi yet.

Moominparatrooper, who just so happens to have his home PC connected to a 62" flat wall plasma sceen
Yes, but I only paid $60 for the 21", Yoda. Hmm, I wonder how much a 62" flat wall plasma screen goes for??? Prolly more than my truck!

Old May 20, 2002, 11:51   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Vmxa1,

Well, I went and pulled out MOO2 and dusted it off and gave it a spin again. I'm likin' it for some reason. I do not remember likin' it this much before. Strange?

Old May 20, 2002, 13:49   #15
vmxa1
Deity

I have found that I like it more now than ever before as well. It may just be due to the community interaction.
Old May 21, 2002, 08:41   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

You mean here right, not the game??
Old May 21, 2002, 12:05   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
The defensive installations in MoO 2 are weak. I reckon that's a design decision to force you to use fleets. Starbases, etc. exist mainly to give you command points and bonuses in fleet battles.

Okay, so the Stellar Converter is not weak.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2002, 17:52   #18
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Okay, so the Stellar Converter is not weak.
Actually, by the time you get the thing, it is. All so-called planetary defences are CP-generators only in Moo2. The real planetary defences all have engines.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:28   #19
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah, I meant right here.
Late in the game, the planetary defenses are just to prevent a small force from doing anyhthing. A strong fleet can only be stopped by another fleet.
Old May 22, 2002, 13:48   #20
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Looking back, it seems kind of stupid that you can spend so much time designing your ships and none of the Bases?

Old May 22, 2002, 13:50   #21
moomin
King

It was a staple complaint back when the game was new. It never made it into the patches, unfortunately.
Old May 24, 2002, 01:09   #22
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
The bases are too wimpy anyway. A Star Fortress should be at least as tough as a few Doom Stars, the Battlestation should be able to withstand a small fleet of Titans, and the Starbase can tackle several Battleships.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 03:09   #23
vmxa1
Deity

I have not tracked this, but I wonder if it is due to the space increase that you get on ships, but seem not to get on platforms? Once plasma cannns come in the ships start to pull away from planetary defenses.
Old May 24, 2002, 06:27   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:14
While they can easily be captured, at least they can't be used against you that battle. But they do get popped too easily, even by a few small enemy ships.
Old May 24, 2002, 12:48   #25
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 18:14
With barrier shield and 15 shields planetary defences are not bad. Still weaker than they should be though.
Old May 24, 2002, 17:32   #26
The Mad Monk
Emperor

A barrier shield can make plasma cannons pretty damn close to useless.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 24, 2002, 19:09   #27
moomin
King

Yeah, but by then you should be sporting auto-fire disruptors anyway.

If that's not available, then this situation is one of the very few were you can actually have fun with bombs. One titan filled to the brink with bombs will bring'em to their knees.
Old May 24, 2002, 20:28   #28
vmxa1
Deity

The AI always has bombs, so if they get past the defenses, the barrier shield will not stop them. I am not sure if they have used barrier shields against me, but I use cannons only and whack em. Well I do use one stellar converter, just in case, when I build a few Doom Stars.
Old May 25, 2002, 00:13   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

They always use barrier shields against me.

If I have a planetary defense of any kind, including stations but excluding the steller converter, it is traded or given away to all factions.

It keeps them from eating each other before I get to them...
Old May 25, 2002, 18:19   #30
moomin
King

Monk, that's another great reason to trade away tech, yeah. But it's still tricky... if they don't have planetary defenses, you can take their planet with auto-combat in the late game. If they have, you have to play by hand because your ships will fry the place otherwise. I hate tac combat that late in the game. So I tend to hold out on those particular techs.